• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Change one rule

Beamrider

Well-Known
It's not clear yet whether there will be rule changes next season, significant or otherwise. If you could change one rule in the game, what would it be and why? Feel free to be as serious or flippant as you like.

I'll go first and suggest no off-side from an attacking free-kick - would push defensive lines back and lead to more goal-mouth action, plus we'd have fewer bullshit line-drawing exercises from VAR. Also aligns the position with corners, throw-ins and goal kicks.

Offside should be daylight between defender and attacker. The defense have too much of an advantage. Changing it would see more one on ones, through passes and general attacking play, which are not consistently ruled out by being a toe nail off side.

I’d have it in the rules that a foul doesn’t have to be worse in the box to make it a pen. I hate the shite that’s a foul outside the box and not in it.

I’d be harsher on time wasting too. One warning, then yellow then red. No more 50 warnings and a weak yellow in the 93rd minute.

Handballs in the box should be penalised whether accidental or not, whether it’s from a yard out or 5 yards…if it’s hit your arm when your arm is x distance away from the body (let’s say 10cms), then penalty. Might require additional tech to actually calculate that distance. Any rule which eliminates subjectivity and thus improves consistency I’m all for.

For offsides, only matters if the offside limb/head is the one to control the ball. Like, someone's head or shirt sleeve being offside when they're running is expected if they're running full pelt, but if they control it with their feet, genuinely what advantage is gained by the shirt being off?

Last edited:
I’d have it in the rules that a foul doesn’t have to be worse in the box to make it a pen. I hate the shite that’s a foul outside the box and not in it.

I’d be harsher on time wasting too. One warning, then yellow then red. No more 50 warnings and a weak yellow in the 93rd minute.
Tbf they're not changing the rules; they're just asking for current ones to be enforced

No other sport is as laissez-faire with the rules as football

When a penalty is given, everyone clears out of the box immediately otherwise they get carded, and if the goalkeeper loiters by the penalty taker, he gets a card too

Time clock.

Ball in play for 30 mins per half, counted down on a big screen inside the stadium. No more injury time, no more time wasting. No more arguments.

The average time the ball is currently in play is actually 55 mins so this would be an increase of playing time but would drastically cut down the wasted time.

Time clock.

Ball in play for 30 mins per half, counted down on a big screen inside the stadium. No more injury time, no more time wasting. No more arguments.

The average time the ball is currently in play is actually 55 mins so this would be an increase of playing time but would drastically cut down the wasted time.
Hate this; next suggestion will be commercial breaks whenever a goal kick is awarded

Every other team apart from us should get 2 points for a win.
This is the winner

Last edited:
Offside should be daylight between defender and attacker. The defense have too much of an advantage. Changing it would see more one on ones, through passes and general attacking play, which are not consistently ruled out by being a toe nail off side.

It was a record high scoring season in the Premier league this season, 3.28 per match. Previous record was from the 92/93 season which had more games. Goals per game havent been this high since the 60s.

In other words I cant see what the benefits are of changing the offside rule.

It was a record high scoring season in the Premier league this season, 3.28 per match. Previous record was from the 92/93 season which had more games. Goals per game havent been this high since the 60s.

I get that, but I think the reason for all these goals is not rule-based, it's the bottom half of the PL and especially the bottom 3 last year being utterly shit.
The rule changes would mean potentially more goals in the games between the top teams which are often tight affairs and where a bit more excitement wouldn't go amiss.

I get that, but I think the reason for all these goals is not rule-based, it's the bottom half of the PL and especially the bottom 3 last year being utterly shit.
The rule changes would mean potentially more goals in the games between the top teams which are often tight affairs and where a bit more excitement wouldn't go amiss.

From 4th place and down the teams conceded on average 60 goals with the bottom 3 even higher. There are just a lot of goals in the league with more attacking minded football and quality players.

I think an offside rule change like the one Wenger is proposing will see teams change how they defend and wont improve the game, at all.

I think it could be detrimental. You’ll see more sides go even deeper to counter the threat of the new offside rules. That will ruin the game more.

I think it could be detrimental. You’ll see more sides go even deeper to counter the threat of the new offside rules. That will ruin the game more.

Its much better to try and improve the current offside rule. God knows why they let that piss stained old French cunt try to ruin football with all his stupid suggestions.

For me, to make the game run quicker. A clear and obvious (lol) offside rule should speed up delays dramatically

I appreciate the semi automated tech, but I do fear the PL will fuck up it's implementation due to cost

For me, to make the game run quicker. A clear and obvious (lol) offside rule should speed up delays dramatically

I appreciate the semi automated tech, but I do fear the PL will fuck up it's implementation due to cost

The semi automatic offsides work great in Europe, but as you say no confidence should be give to PGMOL implementing it.

The semi automatic offsides work great in Europe, but as you say no confidence should be give to PGMOL implementing it.
Another issue is not all grounds have it. I'd rather change the offside rule to be easily followed whether we're playing city at home or mk Dons away. Offside should have the same non-subjective criteria outside of VAR

Another issue is not all grounds have it. I'd rather change the offside rule to be easily followed whether we're playing city at home or mk Dons away. Offside should have the same non-subjective criteria outside of VAR

Thats another debate and issue though. Fix it first in the PL, and then look to introduce it to the Championship.

Thats another debate and issue though. Fix it first in the PL, and then look to introduce it to the Championship.
Is it a different debate? A lot of people want the offside rule amended as it's the bane of everyone's fucking life. VAR fixes it for a small proportion of the footballing world. Arguably the VAR correction of the offside is the different debate?

Back
Top Bottom