• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mullets and short shorts - Italia '90

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctlovesred

Well-Known
I rewatched the weird 1990 WC game between W Germany and the Netherlands. The one with the spitting and the red cards and the GK back passes. I wanted to see what the WC has become compared to what I remember as the first time I watched top level soccer.

Some observations:
  1. The field. It was dry and slow. Which allowed players to make passes into dangerous areas behind the defensive lines that would check up and give attackers a chance to get there before the GK. Huge difference to the lightening fast soaking wet pitches of today.
  2. Speed of play. With a couple of exceptions, the ball was back in play less than 20 seconds after the whistle blew for a foul, corner, goal kick, or throw in. What a relief to not watch endless posturing and arguing and positioning and indecisiveness.
  3. Offside. Blown immediately and with no fanfare.
  4. No nonsense refereeing. Only Matthaus really ever argued with the ref about a call and that was after he was cautioned for scoring after the whistle was blown. The Germany penalty on Van Basten inspired no surrounding of the ref or 3 minutes of delays. Koeman took his shot literally seconds after the ref blew.
  5. Fouls. There were a couple of bad fouls that required treatment. Maybe 3. In 90 minutes. All the other fouls got a free kick, and energetic "get up off the grass" hand wave from the ref, and the ball was back in play.
  6. Possession. Granted this was 10v10 so there was a lot more space, but neither team was afraid to lose possession so they attacked at will. So many 1v1 dribbles, Matthaus bursting runs from midfield, balls into the box. It was so fun to watch.
  7. Klinsmann vs Van Basten. If this was the only game I ever saw Van Basten play I would have thought he was some journeyman player from the Dutch league, not the leading scorer in Serie A. Touch was terrible, gave the ball away tons of times, mediocre passing. Won the penalty, but that looked like a dive. Klinsmann, on the other hand, ran his man ragged with massive speed, excellent close control, and wonderful off the ball movement. Should have had a second with an amazing first time volley off the post. He reminded me why I idolized him as a young player.
  8. Matthaus vs Gullit. No contest. Lothar dominated this game with his running, tackling, speed, aggression, and incisive passing. Gullit looked a luxury player and created some good chances but overall was outmatched.
  9. Was Brehme left footed? His goal and much of his excellent passing was with his right.
Conclusion?
Today's game is slower, more boring, with fewer risks taken. Glad the back pass rule was changed but the GK got rid of the ball almost immediately after picking it up. So what's worse, that or letting GKs wander around with it for 30 seconds every time?

Systems have ruined the spectacle of soccer. Give me mullets and short shorts any day.

Go back another 8 years and watch the glory of the ‘82 WC - it had everything you’d ever want in a football tournament.

Great goals, skills, shock results, goal celebrations, skill, tight shorts, moustaches, controversy’s, colossal fuck ups on the pitch and some of the most brutal fouls ever committed.

Everyone knows about about Schumacher’s assault on Battison in the Germany France semi - but Maradona’s sending off for a studs first challenge on some poor Brazilian’s mummy/daddy button was a thing of savage beauty - that poor fucker wasn’t walking straight for a while.

To be fair, almost any Netherlands-Deutschland game is better than 99% of games. Always an absolute blast to watch - contrast in styles and complete commitment from both teams. There were plenty of awful and boring matches in the past, not nearly rising to that standard.

I grew up watching the World Cup in 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018.

The current edition is OK to be honest. We've had some really shit ones. I know many of you like to suck 2002 Brazil's dick off, but truth be told they could be a real pain to watch, along with the Italians.

Come on fellas. What you lot on about ?

Everything back then was just a simulation.

VAR. Ronaldo (fake) crying. NFTs. Data science, stats. Fantasy football. Wealthy billionaires. That’s what is real. #beautifulgame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, but he's in belfast

There’s a chance he’ll be burnt at the stake outside Belfast City Hall for looking like a demon from the bowels of hell.

He should be fine if he keep a packet of northern Tayto on his person at all times - they’ll think he’s from Larne or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom