• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

England vs India

This test has been disastrous. I hope there is no other tests like this. We need about 7 days to see result in this....

The groundsman at Trent Bridge has admitted that he intended to create a bouncy wicket but it didn't turn out that way. I don't think we will see any more like that on this tour.

I think it depends on whether the Lord's wicket is going to be helpful to a spinner. Few spinners have been able to avoid being carted around the ground on wickets that didn't provide any turn . . . I reckon Muralitharan and Warne are the only ones that I have seen, and Graeme Swann on occasions.

Oh that's why I missed it. I think I was having a cricket sabbatical by that point ;)

Here's a bit from Vaughan on it, hard to disagree with him here, i don't think there's much doubt the Indians will go after him, for him to crack like he did and serve up those pies in his 1st test to bowling well and holding his shit together against India of all teams in his 2nd is asking too much imo, hope he does do well though if its this test or one later on in the series.

_76262940_simon2.jpg

14 July 2014

England v India: Michael Vaughan 'fears' for Simon Kerrigan
Former England captain Michael Vaughan says he fears for Simon Kerrigan if the Lancashire spinner plays in the second Test against India at Lord's.
Kerrigan suffered a nightmare debut in last year's Ashes but has returned to the squad for this week's match.
And Vaughan believes the 25-year-old is not ready to win his second cap.
"I fear for Simon Kerrigan," Vaughan said on Radio 5 live. "England have thrown him back into the environment of international cricket far too soon."
Simon Kerrigan's first-class career
Matches: 66; Wickets: 213; Average: 27.81; Best figures: 9-51; Strike-rate: 58.7

Kerrigan was surprisingly selected for the fifth Test against Australia at The Oval last year, but failed to justify his inclusion as he conceded 53 runs from just eight overs.
He never recovered from a brutal early assault from Australian batsman Shane Watson as his first two overs went for 28 runs.
And Vaughan believes a repeat of that experience could be fatal to Kerrigan's international career.
"If the second one goes badly, he can never come back from that again," the former England opener said.
"If he goes out on Thursday and all of a sudden the Indians climb into him and it's like that situation against Watson, he won't come back from that for a long time."
Kerrigan has taken 28 wickets for Lancashire this season at an average of 34.25, and Vaughan believes the left-armer should be left to learn his trade at county level.
"He's not pulled up any trees for Lancashire this season. Why rush the lad back in?
"Throwing him out to bowl at Lord's against an Indian batting line-up who can play spin with their eyes shut - I just think is unfair."

England are searching for a spinner following the retirement of Graeme Swann last year, and have turned to batsman Moeen Ali as a part-time option in this summer's Tests against Sri Lanka and India.
But Swann believes that the additional workload on the England seamers may force coach Peter Moores to turn to Kerrigan, whom he coached during his stint at Lancashire.
"I think he'll play," Swann said. "By all accounts he's bowled very well in the nets and Peter Moores rates him very highly. Moeen's just not up to it as a spinner at the moment."
Seamers Chris Jordan and Chris Woakes are the other options available to Moores if he wishes to change the team that drew the first Test at Trent Bridge.

No,not in the short game he hasn't, he doesn't seem to be in the frame at all for the tests though does he? he has played a few tests on the sub continent hasn't he? Bangledesh rings a bell, think the thing with Kerrigan is he has been seen for a while to be the one to replace Swann, hes young and been in lots of Lions squads and been around the England set ups for a long time being primed for it all.

Saying that though anyone who can hold an end going for 3 an over would do right now, wickets are secondary to that.

Anderson, Broad and co are going to be cooked very soon if this doesn't happen, Anderson was cooked last year after Trent Bridge and we had Swann then, doesn't bode well, rotation keeps getting mentioned for the quicks, no brainer really.

Going for 53 in 8 overs when you are being targetted isn't *that* big a deal. I don't think this is the right time to throw Kerrigan in - I think the tour against WI seems a lot safer but if there is a wicket that will turn, we need to either play Ali like a spinner or replace him with one.

Or bowl ballance more!

This bunch of Indian bats arent anywhere close to being as good at dealing with spinners as Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly and Sehwag were....

This will be a good move for England and will pay dividends.

Interesting. My fear is that there has been so much hype about needing a spinner (even though we under bowled Ali AND he was taking wickets) that there will be too much expectation on Kerrigan. BUT - we need to get a spinner settled in the team soon so this tour might be a good time to do so.

With a handful of rare exceptions, all spinners need a turning wicket to operate effectively. If the Lord's wicket turns, then Kerrigan could be a huge success. If it doesn't, he could get thrashed around again.

I'd favour going with the spinner who's most in form at the moment. I guess that's Batty. As a stop gap (and nothing wrong with that, given the need to start winning again) he'd be good: confident, belligerent and with a point to prove. I don't see the point in bringing Kerrigan in when he's still so fragile, especially against a team that knows exactly how to drive him out of the attack. I don't know if it's T20 etc but most of the young spinners don't know how to vary their game, and certainly not play an attritional session. Ideally one of them should be learning from understudying an experienced spinner.

I think most of you are overrating the Indian batting here. As kingjulian pointed out , our batting is not as strong as what it was when the big three and Laxman were playing. England maybe going through a bit of a dip but it has enough firepower to take 20 Indian wickets.

The groundsman at Trent Bridge didn't help England's cause when he prepared a wicket that was a replica of Eden Gardens in Kolkata!

:D

Don't think it matters if the Indian batters are not as good as before or if the wicket takes spin or not, Kerrigan will hardly have them quaking in their boots and if he gets an attack of the nerves again and serves up the muck we saw before then he will go for plenty regardless, even a decent village cricketer would put that stuff away.

Just worry for him a bit really, his test career could be over after 100 odd balls if it happens again in his next match, agree about waiting for the Windies tour and getting in anyone who is capable of locking up an end, that will do for now, not in a position fussy atm.

That has to be greenest pitch I've ever seen at Lords or anywhere else for that matter. Could be a shrewd move by Cook to choose to bowl. Looking forward to a good 1st session.

It certainly is!

I have to say it's an absolute pleasure to sit in the garden with my laptop out. Sun blazing down with TMS on and Henry Blofeld's dulcet tones wafting into my ears. :)

It's frustrating because the new ball has moved all over the place but England only have one wicket so far to show for it!

Come on England grab another by lunch! Bowling has been pretty sloppy I have to say even though there has been plenty of nibble.

64-2 approaching lunch, but I see it as a wasted opportunity. England should have got deep into the middle-order in these conditions.

Ha! A wonderful little blowers retrospect on TMS right now. 40 years in broadcasting! I love him sincerely!

Do you ever think they will put Blowers out to pasture RA? he's 10 years past his sell by date as it is and can't go 5 minutes without cocking something up, makes me laugh that all of his co-commentators barely even bother correcting him anymore, its just a pointless exercise because a few minutes later he'll do it again lol.

NEVER! He's amazing. There would be a mass public outcry when he eventually and sadly leaves. He's quite simply the sound of summer.

Back
Top Bottom