• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Euro 2012 Day11 - ROI v Italy : Spain v Croatia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robbie Keane has possibly made his last appearance in a ROI team.

Rosco will be disappointed.

Remember Rosco, don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Ah well I've got Spain in the work sweep so not all bad. Only 3 quid a go though.

Mingebags

Italian fans celebrating loudly by singing "the fields of Athenry"

So are Ireland now the joint worst team ever in the euros or did I mishear the commentary?

Thanks for the info.

I can't remember that one, would have been 14.

Came at the end of a particularly vicious year including the Shankill bombings, etc and ended in the first ceasefire. I'd moved to Scotland by the time, but I still remember that summer and the lead up to it being really tense.

I remember watching the game, in England, t'was the night before we flew to Oz on a holiday. Can remember Shankill bombing well but clearly missed this one as I was offski.

I remember watching the game in Edinburgh.. wasn't that the one Houghton scored with a shot from outside the box...

Yes that was the same match Stevie.

I was staying at my uncles that night half a mile away from the tragedy I would've known and been friendly with a lot of the regulars who drank in the pub but for one reason or another they all went somewhere else to watch the match. An awful tragedy like so many around that time, it was a nice gesture by the FAI and hopefully those who committed it are caught and give the family closure.

What was Trap thinking with the subs anyway ?

Even the lads in the studio had it right, Whelan and Keane needed to come off at halftime. Instead Trap did everything but the obvious. He takes off McGeady who was the only player giving the Italians problems. He brings on Long in his place, he moves Doyle out wide right... ? He then brings on Walters for Doyle and moves Long out wide right.

And I think Giles hit the nail firmly on the head with one comment, they were talking about Trap's 'system' , Giles said if your system can't accommodate good skilful footballers then the system is wrong.

Actually I thought McGeady was very poor last night. Messing and pissing about with the ball, and no end result.

Although I agree with what you said about the substitutions. Keane was fucking useless. He's turned into a right lazy cunt, and he should have been removed at half time. He's served us well, and has been arguably our best player for the past 10 years, but he needs to hang up his boots. McLean should have been brought on too, and one of the other younger guys.

And yes, Giles is spot on. I usually can't listen to those tools after a match, but Giles had it down to a tee. If you don't have the players (which we certainly don't) the system ain't gonna work.

McGeady wasnt great by any stretch but his pace and trickery was the only thing we had to offer going forwards apart from Doyle's hard work and attempts to link the play.

McGeady wasnt great by any stretch but his pace and trickery was the only thing we had to offer going forwards apart from Doyle's hard work and attempts to link the play.

That says it all really! McGeady is so bad its unbelievable.

So are Ireland now the joint worst team ever in the euros or did I mishear the commentary?
Maybe so, but their fans were marvellous throughout.

Did the green island well proud.

You have a problem with the Irish fans?

(Shudders) who me?

I have a problem with us being EXTREMELY bad on the field, and us contenting ourselves with being great fans. Ah sure we're great - it does smack of gobshite-ery. I am as proud as the next person at how fun loving, kind, decent, and honorable we are at these tournaments, always great, with no hooligan element, which is unheard of. But it goes a bit further sometimes, where we make ourselves look silly. We won't be better at the game unless we get a little more disappointed, and a little unhappier at our performances with some kind of a push for new coaching structures, a new footballing ethic like other small countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom