• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Fielding two teams in two competitions on the same day,

Status
Not open for further replies.
23 Man Squad for World Club Championship (assuming no injuries)

6 players in bold left back for Carabo Cup

Goalkeepers

Alisson, Adrian, Kellher

Defenders

VVD, Gomez, Lovren, Matip, Hoever, Robertson, TAA

Midfield

Fabinho, Henderson, OX, Lallana, Milner, Keita, Winjanldum, Shaqiri

Strikers

Salah, Mane, Firminio, Origi, Brewster,

Line Up vs Aston Villa

Adrian, Williams, Gomez, Hoever, Larouci, Milner, Chirvella, Jones, Elliott, Brewster, Shaqiri

Subs: Lonerghan, VDB, Kane, Christie-Davies, Clarkson, Kourmetio

You could swap VVD for Gomez to give that back line more Experience... and maybe Origi for Brewster to add experience to the Forward line

Midfield is a concern though.. Id be tempted to bring Lallana in and send a kid to the WCC to fulfil the 23.. means Lallana missing out in WCC squad though overall

A CB paring of Gomez or Lovren/ Matip should cope fine in the WCC Semi final..

Line Up Semi Final WCC

Alisson, Robertson, VVD or Gomez, Matip, TAA, Fabinho, Henderson, OX, Salah, Bobby, Mane

Subs

Kellher, Lovren, Keita, Winjaldum, Lallana or a Kid, Brewster or Origi

Last edited:
I'd play teh following

Adrian
TAA Gomez Lovren Milner

Lallana (sorry Modo)
Ox Gini

Elliot Brewster Mane

And against whoever in Dubai:

A Becker

Hoever VvD SvB Robbo (no better way to help our Dutch kids but to let them play with Virgil)

Fabinho
hendo Keita

Salah Firmino Origi
No way at all. I'm 99% certain we will take our strongest team to the CWC and play the U23s and a few squaddies in the LC. As we should. The CWC is a global trophy whether we rate it or not (and one we've never won before) ... and isn't everyone here always going on about LFC being all about trophies ?

No way at all. I'm 99% certain we will take our strongest team to the CWC and play the U23s and a few squaddies in the LC. As we should. The CWC is a global trophy whether we rate it or not (and one we've never won before) ... and isn't everyone here always going on about LFC being all about trophies ?
Yep our squad for the Club world cup will consist of our 23 best players. Doesn't necessarily mean that they'll all travel for the semi final.

Honestly does anyone give a flying fuck about the club World Cup? It's exhibition, no prestige nonsense. I’d rather try to win the Thai energy drink cup.
I think it has a lot more prestige than most think it does, it's a competition that's screened globally. Years from now it will be a major event (*looks into crystal ball : the LC will have gone, FAC reduced to LC current status and there'll be a European League with the CL and CWC the major club events) and it'd be good to get our name on it now (see. RM in the CL, everyone just quotes the number they've won even if the first few were relatively meaningless at the time).

The amount of money and global commercial appeal earned from the CWC.. makes it an absolute no brainer to give this competition priority over Carabo Cup

The owners will absolutely want this competition taken seriously..

Play the under 18's for the carling cup. show the competition the respect it deserves for prearranging this game ahead of the world club cup.

Last edited:
I think it has a lot more prestige than most think it does, it's a competition that's screened globally. Years from now it will be a major event (*looks into crystal ball : the LC will have gone, FAC reduced to LC current status and there'll be a European League with the CL and CWC the major club events) and it'd be good to get our name on it now (see. RM in the CL, everyone just quotes the number they've won even if the first few were relatively meaningless at the time).

I'm not so sure about that. It's been nearly 20 years since United withdrew from the FA cup to play in the CWC and yet, still, nobody gives a fuck about it.

The problem they have is that nobody in England knows who Monterrey, Al-Sadd, Hienghène Sport etc. are, and I'd assume that the same applies for most other European Countries (with some exceptions i.e. Spanish perhaps watch more Brazilian football). I don't know how they can raise the excitement for fans when playing those teams.

I'm not so sure about that. It's been nearly 20 years since United withdrew from the FA cup to play in the CWC and yet, still, nobody gives a fuck about it.

The problem they have is that nobody in England knows who Monterrey, Al-Sadd, Hienghène Sport etc. are, and I'd assume that the same applies for most other European Countries (with some exceptions i.e. Spanish perhaps watch more Brazilian football). I don't know how they can raise the excitement for fans when playing those teams.
When I talk about prestige I don't mean in Europe .. I mean on a global scale.; South America, Asia, Africa and Middle East. A chance for the teams to match themselves against the European teams they see and hear so much of, and something the fans are interested in seeing .. except for the English (not sure about Spain, Germany, Italy etc. though I'm sure their marketing teams love it).

What we should be doing is going all out against Napoli and beating them at home in the CL so we can field our reserves against Salzburg away. That gives our usual starters a midweek rest before the Watford game, which is 3 days before the League cup game vs Villa.

Last edited:
Leaked line up vs Aston Villa
18067465c5a585e058db3bd7cf50a12f.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ine-charge-Carabao-Cup-quarter-final-tie.html
[article]Liverpool Under 23 coach Neil Critchley is set for the biggest night of his career by taking charge of the first-team's Carabao Cup quarter-final against Aston Villa next month.

Manager Jurgen Klopp has not completely made his mind up to miss the last-eight tie at Villa Park, which in an unprecedented move will take place 24 hours before Liverpool's Club World Cup semi-final in Qatar, but the logistical difficulties of attending both matches make it likely that he will already be in Doha when the Carabao Cup match is taking place.

Klopp will make a final decision on his travel plans when submitting his squad for the Club World Cup to FIFA at the start of December, but is minded to fly to Doha with his squad earlier in the week to take charge of training.

The German's assistant, Pep Lijnders, is another possibility to take the Carabao Cup team at Villa Park but Klopp is likely to want him at his side as Liverpool prepare for a prestigious tournament they will be aiming to win for the first time after losing to Brazilian club Sao Paulo in the final in 2005.

As Under 23 coach Critchley is the next in line and has Klopp's complete confidence, not least as many of his players are likely to be in the side that face Villa.

Liverpool have told the EFL that they are committed to picking a team similar to those which played in the previous rounds against MK Dons and Arsenal, although the likes of Divock Origi, Adam Lallana and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain who started the latter tie are likely to travel to Qatar. [/article]

Liverpool are considering the possibility of fielding two teams in two competitions on the same day, with their Carabao Cup quarter-final against Aston Villa and Club World Cup semi-final potentially clashing.

Could have been worse mate...Egypt playing Liberia today... Thank god it is only a friendly, and Salah was not called up...

Think that we should stick with the youths plus Shaqiri, Gomez and Keita in the Carabao Cup

If it's possible to win both, I'd quite like that outcome.

Can Villa be ordered to play their u23s too?

Liverpool confirm Carabao Cup manager as Jurgen Klopp travels to Club World Cup

By

David Maddock

17:00, 25 NOV 2019

Liverpool will send a youth team for the Carabao Cup quarter final - as they split their squad to play two games in 24 hours.

Boss Jurgen Klopp has decided his U23 coach Neil Critchley will take charge of the Reds side which visits Aston Villa on December 17, just 24 hours before he himself leads a senior side that will play in the Club World Cup semi final in Qatar.

Klopp had considered juggling his squad to split senior players between the two matches, and has also pondered the prospect of his assistant Pep Lijnders taking charge of the domestic cup squad.

But instead, Critchley will be in the dug-out, with largely the young side which has progressed so far through the competition.

That means Liverpool are likely to take less than 23 players in their squad for the FIFA club championship, with players like Rhian Brewster, Caoimhin Kelleher, Sepp van den Berg, Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott all on duty at Villa Park.

It is a frustrating solution for Klopp, but a decision he feels he has to make, given the two games will be played within 24 hours on two different continents.

He had thought about giving some of his senior players a rest by leaving them at home for the Carabao Cup tie - which would offer a seven day break afterwards - but the players themselves made it clear they want to push hard for the bigger trophy.

There was also a thought of sending some players on to Qatar after the Villa quarter final, but that has proved impractical.

Now, what will in effect be an U23 side will play the domestic game, but the club will allow their usual first team procedures of a night in a hotel before the game, and the usual first team coach.

Critchley has shadowed Klopp and the first team squad in recent weeks, and he will follow all the usual rules as the club try to make it as competitive a squad as possible.

If Klopp really decides that the u23s won't get any help from the first team players it's going to extremely difficult to get a win at Villa. That is if Villa play their best players, which they will probably do.

The obvious picks are Kelleher in goal,
Hoever and Van Den Berg at CB.
Right back isn't that obvious, Gallacher has started for the u23s ahead of Neco lately.
Left back, probably Larouci.

Midfield, probably Chirivella, Dixon-Bonner and maybe Longstaff?

Front three will be Elliott, Jones and Brewster.

Leading up to the game Villa has a really tough schedule having to play @ United, @ Chelsea, Leicester then @ Sheffield 3 days before us.

Right now they’re only 4 points clear off relegation zone and could realistically get zero points out of the 4 games mentioned above, so there’s a good chance they dress the youth team as well and focus on the game with Southampton.

And I’m glad to read the senior players want to play for the bigger trophy. You don’t get to play this tournament every year the way you do with the Carabao Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom