• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Football Finance

SO that's round 2 complete; when does the 3rd and final round happen?

Actually, I guess there may be a 4th round with legal action from relegated clubs depending on the final outcome.

I’m sure this is common knowledge that I’ve managed to completely miss. What happens if Girona qualify for the champions league?
You mean re.City? Nothing as City Football Group own less than 50%. Although the exact meaning of "Controlling interest" could be determined differently. Most important thing is no issue was raised last season when they nearly made the Conference League

SO that's round 2 complete; when does the 3rd and final round happen?

Actually, I guess there may be a 4th round with legal action from relegated clubs depending on the final outcome.
Everton have apparently accepted this judgement so that's it from their PoV

You mean re.City? Nothing as City Football Group own less than 50%. Although the exact meaning of "Controlling interest" could be determined differently. Most important thing is no issue was raised last season when they nearly made the Conference League

Ah ok, i thought the owned the lot

The full accounts aren't available to view at Companies House just yet. I will do the customary commentary when they are released and I've had the time to go through them. There's always spin in these announcements but the headline that we made only a small loss off the back of a shit season is pretty encouraging. That said, we did have the cushion of Champions League revenue in 2022-23, even if we didn't progress that far.

The full accounts aren't available to view at Companies House just yet. I will do the customary commentary when they are released and I've had the time to go through them. There's always spin in these announcements but the headline that we made only a small loss off the back of a shit season is pretty encouraging. That said, we did have the cushion of Champions League revenue in 2022-23, even if we didn't progress that far.
Thanks for the cold shower :rolleyes:

I wouldn't place too much reliance on this.
Firstly, all the numbers that I can check back to accounts are wrong, usually only by a few £m but Chelsea's wage bill is overstated by £26m. I suspect they've taken them from some website giving information in Euros which they've then mis-calculated back into sterling. Some of the implied turnover numbers are way off.
Secondly, the context of the quotes is UEFA's new FFP rule around "squad cost ratio". This is more complex than wages to turnover. It also includes amortisation and wouldn't include staff wages (which will be in those numbers above).
My rough estimates (based on 2021-22 figures, as the detail for 2022-23 is not available yet for ANY of those clubs):
LFC 63%
City 71%
United 75%
Spurs 75%
Chelsea 79%
Arsenal 81%
Villa 94%
Everton (for the LOLs) 96%
Newcastle 109% (will improve in current year with CL income)
All of these ratios are worse than the figures shown above on a straight wages to turnover basis.
The target for next year is 80% (then 70% thereafter).

I've taken a quick look at these accounts.
Firstly, they are group accounts so they essentially include the recognition of Chelsea's assets at their "fair value" on the date they acquired the club (NB this only applies in BlueCo's accounts, the values won't be changed in Chelsea's, except for, perhaps, land and buildings). The key adjustments in this respect are:
Writing up the value of their playing squad from £321m to £1,038m.
Writing up fixed assets (mainly Stamford Bridge) from £173m to £642m.
The adjustments to other amounts are minor.
As many of the existing playing squad will have had short contracts, they have aggressively written down the value of those player registrations (amortisation in these accounts is £406m, and I reckon about £280-300m of that will be the existing squad of players).
They disclose losses of subsidiary businesses of £127m - this will be Chelsea plus all sorts of other affiliated companies (but not Strasbourg as they were purchased post year-end), but it will be for 13 months and may include some profits from player sales in the Summer 2023 window if those deals were agreed pre 30 June (although they would not have completed until 1 July).
There are comments about the impact of sales of players post year end, but because those profits will be based on the re-valued squad, the profit figure in Chelsea's accounts will probably be a fair bit higher than in BlueCo's (£48m).
They also state that the bonuses payable to the Chelsea board on the sale were £49.8m and have been paid by BlueCo. I think there's a good chance this is false accounting and that they should have been paid by Chelsea (which is where their service contracts would have been in place) so there is a good argument to boost Chelsea's losses by another £50m. Does anyone know someone at the PL with whom I can raise that point?
TLDR - they're fucked. And they're more fucked than I thought they would be. I'm struggling to understand why they're not already under investigation for the period up to 2023 (and perhaps they would be if they'd booked those bonuses in the right place)?

Still find it amusing that people find it hard to believe that they're money launderers. Always have been since Chelski, and most likely still are.

You don't just come in and throw 600M into a plaything cos you're bored. No, it's cause you want to wash your dirty expensive linen and make it legit.

Premier League's profitability and sustainability rules are to be replaced as early as this summer; the new system will be aligned with UEFA's squad cost ratio rules; new regulations will not affect the ongoing cases regarding Everton, Nottingham Forest and Manchester City.

The new system will be aligned with the squad cost-to-revenue ratio contained within UEFA's Financial Sustainability Regulations (FSR).

Those regulations will eventually limit clubs participating in European competitions to only spend 70 per cent of revenue on transfer fees, player wages and so on.

The Premier League has been looking at a model enabling clubs to spend up to 85 per cent of revenue on squad cost, with a sliding scale of penalties in place where clubs exceed that ratio.

However, there is no guarantee that the new financial model will even be signed off at the league's annual general meeting in June.

If approved, the new rules will not affect the ongoing cases regarding Everton, Nottingham Forest and Manchester City, who will all continue to be judged on existing financial models.

@Beamrider

Red Bird arent directly linked to us. Its no concern at all. Toulouse and Milan are under Red Bird.

Looks like the new version of FIFA Club World Cup is pretty lucrative.

=====

Juventus have qualified for the 2025 FIFA Club World Cup and participating in the competition will grant them at least €50m.

Napoli‘s elimination from the Champions League Round of 16 at the hands of Barcelona on Tuesday allowed Juventus to qualify for the 2025 FIFA Club World Cup.

As reported by Italian media, including Ilbianconero.com, the Bianconeri will receive at least €50m just for participating in the competition. Of course, the sum will rise depending on how many games the Bianconeri win next year.

The prize money for the 32 clubs involved in the competition is around €2.5 billion.

Juventus have joined Inter in the Club World Cup, becoming the 10th European team to qualify for the tournament, which will be staged in the USA from June 15, 2025, until July 13, 2025.

Juventus did not participate in European competitions in 2023-24 because of a one-season UEFA ban for financial irregularities. However, previous European campaigns allowed the Bianconeri to earn enough points to beat the Partenopei and qualify for next season’s Club World Cup.

View: https://twitter.com/FootRankings/status/1767672828415922559

ConfederationNo. of teamsTeams
AFC4Al Hilal, Urawa Red Diamonds, Winners of the 2023-24 AFC Champions League, TBC
CAF4Al Ahly, Wydad Casablanca, Winners of the 2023-24 CAF Champions League, TBC
CONCACAF4Monterrey, Seattle Sounders, Leon, Winners of the 2024 CONCACAF Champions League
CONMEBOL6Palmeiras, Fluminense, Flamengo, Winners of the 2024 Copa Libertadores, TBC, TBC
OFC1Auckland City
UEFA12Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, PSG, Inter, Porto, Benfica, Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, Winners of the 2023-24 Champions League, TBC
CONCACAF (host)1TBC
Last updated: March 13, 2024

ConfederationNo. of teamsTeams
AFC4Al Hilal, Urawa Red Diamonds, Winners of the 2023-24 AFC Champions League, TBC
CAF4Al Ahly, Wydad Casablanca, Winners of the 2023-24 CAF Champions League, TBC
CONCACAF4Monterrey, Seattle Sounders, Leon, Winners of the 2024 CONCACAF Champions League
CONMEBOL6Palmeiras, Fluminense, Flamengo, Winners of the 2024 Copa Libertadores, TBC, TBC
OFC1Auckland City
UEFA12Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, PSG, Inter, Porto, Benfica, Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, Winners of the 2023-24 Champions League, TBC
CONCACAF (host)1TBC
Last updated: March 13, 2024
What is the criteria for the twelfth spot in UEFA do you know?
It's down as TBC
What happens if the winners of this year's Champions League are already on the list?

Back
Top Bottom