• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

FSG Media tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Worse than Brendan
I'm guessing most people could see through the stories created around Torres and Meireles leaving ? The rhetoric both times was that the players asked for a move at the last minute and we felt we had to sell them, cue them being seen as the bad guys and us walking away the wronged party.

Well they have a long track record of similar with the Red Sox, the latest one being the manager that left:

BOSTON -- Terry Francona is paying a dear price for deviating, however briefly, from the script.

He was supposed to say the decision to end his eight-year run as Red Sox manager was all his, and leave it at that. Instead, he said that he wasn't sure ownership had his back, suggesting that the reason he walked out the door was because it was held wide open for him.

Well, that obviously didn't sit well with some people in the highest reaches of Sox management, for now we are told in Wednesday's editions of the Boston Globe that not only did the Red Sox collapse in September, but that Francona's troubled marriage and his use of pain medication may have been contributing factors.

This is how it's done, Tito, Boston-style. No one ever escapes clean, regardless of what you might have accomplished here. (See Garciaparra, Nomar, 2004.)

On Sept. 2, when the Red Sox held a nine-game lead in the wild card over the Tampa Bay Rays, no one was talking about Francona's alleged issues with his wife. That was considered his private business. What a concept.

But "team sources" somehow were able to link Red Sox starters' ERA of 7.08 in September -- almost a full run higher than the next worst starters' ERA in the league (6.09, Orioles) -- to the fact that Francona spent some nights in a Brookline hotel instead of in his home. This, even though the Sox went 81-42 over a four-month stretch during which Francona was ordering room service.

Never mind that if job performance was measured by healthy marriages, this country would be in huge trouble, given the high divorce rate. Or that if baseball teams were required only to use players free from marital discord, many would be hard-pressed to fill their lineup cards.

Funny, but when owner John W. Henry filed for divorce from his second wife, no one raised the issue of whether he was distracted from his money management business or his ballclub. And wouldn't you know, the year he filed, 2007, the Red Sox won their second World Series on his watch.

Could Francona's personal issues have contributed to his decision not to fight to stay in Boston? He said as much, without going into detail. Would we have heard about them in anywhere but the gossip pages if the Sox were in the playoffs now? Of course not.

Perhaps even more harmful to Francona, and his future job prospects, were "team sources" expressing concerns to the Globe about his use of pain medication, the implication that the manager may have been abusing that medication.

Such information could only have been known by a very few -- Francona's employers, and his doctors and trainers. That either party would share such sensitive material certainly smells like a breach of patient confidentiality; Francona's lawyer might one day argue as much.

The Globe contacted Francona about the team's alleged concerns. Francona, according to the story, reacted strongly, noting that he has used pain medication for years due to knee and back issues stemming from the double-digit knee surgeries he has had, including knee replacements.

"I went and saw the proper people and it was not an issue,'' Francona said of his use of pain medication. "It never became an issue, and anybody who knew what was going on knows that.''

Makes you wonder how much trust Sox players will have in their medical staff going forward, knowing that any issues they might have could be fair game for public consumption.

It evidently was not enough for Francona to acknowledge that he was unable to impact the clubhouse culture the way he once had, to take responsibility for a breakdown of accountability and an absence of leadership that transformed a dream season into a nightmare he was unable to prevent. All legitimate reasons for Sox ownership to be disinclined to exercise the two-year option they held on his contract.

And Francona, in his farewell press conference, acknowledged there were "personal" issues that also made him feel like coming back might not have been the best course for either side.

But the slime bucket is never far from reach on Yawkey Way, as Francona is learning first-hand. Reached by Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com Wednesday morning, Francona declined comment.

He is through with Boston, even if "team sources" may not be through skewering him. Francona in the end took it from all sides -- from the players who violated his trust, from the players who did not intervene like they do on winning teams and call the miscreants to account, to the highest levels of management whose sense of decency apparently went on hiatus at the end.

"I think people are starting to recognize there's a pattern here. All of a sudden it becomes personal, especially with guys who have had so much success in that uniform," Garciaparra said on "SportsCenter" Wednesday.

"If we want to go down the list ... now we're hearing about Terry Francona, before Terry ... it was Johnny Damon, before him you had Derek Lowe, you had Pedro Martinez, you had Manny Ramirez, you had myself, then you had Mo Vaughn, then you had Roger Clemens, then you had Jim Rice, Carl Yastrzemski, and oh, by the way, one Ted Williams.

"So the list is pretty good, pretty prestigious, but it seems to happen. So there's a pattern. Is it all these guys that are bad or is there something more here?"

It's something we should be keeping an eye on. I think they've controlled the narrative in the media pretty well since they arrived here.

That may be about to change, they cocked up in spectacular fashion with this overseas rights deal, no other club is backing them and I expect the press in this country to turn on them now

Come on Ross, next you'll be telling us that our politicians are using the media to influence voters or something mental!

Ok so we're watching them ..why ? So we can all finally shout "ah ha , caught you , you're just another Hicks and Gillette" . I mean ok as fans we want to protect our club but are we going to attack every little thing , willl we ever be happy with any owner ?

Anyway yeah ... "Werner , Henry .......SCM ARE WATCHING YOU"

[quote author=RedStar link=topic=47165.msg1411425#msg1411425 date=1318457880]
That may be about to change, they cocked up in spectacular fashion with this overseas rights deal, no other club is backing them and I expect the press in this country to turn on them now
[/quote]

Ah storm in a teacup. Pot stirred, no harm done really.

No real harm done apart from making the whole club look like a massive cunt, providing Bolton (and probably a couple of other clubs who don't really mean anything in the Grand Scheme compared to us) with an undoubted game-winning team talk for next time we play them, and proving that the Management we have in place are out of touch with their Premiership counterparts and the general sporting ethos in the UK.
Apart from that, carry on the good work lads!

It's kind of an obvious point but I still think Ross is right to point it out. One of the things I didn't like about the propaganda around Torres (he didn't help himself, of course, far from it) was how Reina must've felt about seeing his best friend somewhat unfairly demonised. I don't really mind FSG being ruthless and then spinning it, but if they're going to do it then we should be all the more sceptical of what they say.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=47165.msg1411451#msg1411451 date=1318477641]
No real harm done apart from making the whole club look like a massive cunt, providing Bolton (and probably a couple of other clubs who don't really mean anything in the Grand Scheme compared to us) with an undoubted game-winning team talk for next time we play them, and proving that the Management we have in place are out of touch with their Premiership counterparts and the general sporting ethos in the UK.
[/quote]

Sorry but I for one don't give a flying fcuk how we "look", to Bolton Wanderers or to any other bugger, if what we've said is justified. Out of touch with our Premiership counterparts? Cry me a river. We used to be out of touch at the top of the league. I want us back up there.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=47165.msg1411468#msg1411468 date=1318492143]
It's kind of an obvious point but I still think Ross is right to point it out. One of the things I didn't like about the propaganda around Torres (he didn't help himself, of course, far from it) was how Reina must've felt about seeing his best friend somewhat unfairly demonised. I don't really mind FSG being ruthless and then spinning it, but if they're going to do it then we should be all the more sceptical of what they say.
[/quote]

What was unfair about the so-called "propaganda" concerning Torres? We should be equally sceptical of suggestions that there's a sinister media agenda behind everything the owners do.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47165.msg1411482#msg1411482 date=1318495896]
[quote author=peterhague link=topic=47165.msg1411468#msg1411468 date=1318492143]
[/quote]

What was unfair about the so-called "propaganda" concerning Torres? We should be equally sceptical of suggestions that there's a sinister media agenda behind everything the owners do.
[/quote]

I happen to agree with Ross that Torres let the club know in plenty of time he wanted out and we spun the story to make him look all the more villainous. Do you disagree?

When did he actually let us know that he wanted out? Was it the day he sneaked off the pitch at the end of the Wolves match without acknowleging the fans who idolised him?

He was villainous though. I don't really buy the conspiracy thing.
As for fucking things up, I don't think so, I think it's a perfectly valid point as far as we are concerned. Particularly as Chelsea and City get the best of both worlds, big bucks from doing well in the prem and CL and share the overseas money equally when we are a much bigger draw than them.
They are not soft, they knew what the reaction would be, it was to bring the debate out into the open and get people thinking, and it will have.

regards

I'm not saying Torres didn't deserve criticism, just that I don't believe he (or meireles) made a demand on the last day of the transfer window. He got a load of shit for that from fans, and I don't think that was fair. If you don't agree, fine, I couldn't care less.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=47165.msg1411491#msg1411491 date=1318497806]
I'm not saying Torres didn't deserve criticism, just that I don't believe he (or meireles) made a demand on the last day of the transfer window. He got a load of shit for that from fans, and I don't think that was fair. If you don't agree, fine, I couldn't care less.
[/quote]

first day or last day they still wanted out and when a player wants out you get rid asap.
torres may have felt we didn't match his ambitions and miereles may have thought he wasn't playing enough/getting enough money but they still wanted out and handed in transfer requests to make those exits happen.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=47165.msg1411496#msg1411496 date=1318498775]
And? What's your point?
[/quote]

ross' opening post sounds like the club is spinning them wanting to get rid of torres and miereles. torres and miereles wanted out. it realyy is as simple as that.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47165.msg1411498#msg1411498 date=1318499599]
[quote author=peterhague link=topic=47165.msg1411496#msg1411496 date=1318498775]
And? What's your point?
[/quote]

ross' opening post sounds like the club is spinning them wanting to get rid of Torres and miereles. Torres and miereles wanted out. it realyy is as simple as that.
[/quote]

i don't think Ross thinks Torres wanted to stay - he'd have to be a bit unhinged to think that............. - but that the club made him more the villain than he was. i imagine his opinion is that the club were all too happy to do the deal given the right offer, and that they were concerned that the fans wouldn't like that and did their damndest to make us out the innocent victims. as for meireles, i'm personally very very sceptical that he wanted out, full stop, but if he did then i think the club were practically delirious at the opportunity to sell him.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=47165.msg1411502#msg1411502 date=1318500580]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47165.msg1411498#msg1411498 date=1318499599]
And? What's your point?
[/quote]

ross' opening post sounds like the club is spinning them wanting to get rid of Torres and miereles. Torres and miereles wanted out. it realyy is as simple as that.
[/quote]

i don't think Ross thinks Torres wanted to stay - he'd have to be a bit unhinged to think that............. - but that the club made him more the villain than he was. i imagine his opinion is that the club were all too happy to do the deal given the right offer, and that they were concerned that the fans wouldn't like that and did their damndest to make us out the innocent victims. as for meireles, i'm personally very very sceptical that he wanted out, full stop, but if he did then i think the club were practically delirious at the opportunity to sell him.
[/quote]

Yeah, youre absolutely right; its a all about how much notice players give us when they want to leave....... we all reacted so much better when Michael Owen and Steve McManaman gave us plenty of notice that they were going to be departing.

Oh.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=47165.msg1411505#msg1411505 date=1318502967]
fuck off please mate. (to grjt)
[/quote]

Great contribution, thanks

sorry, but you're the one poster i simply refuse to engage with. that's because i hate you. i hate you because you're a total cunt.

now please, please, please fuck off, buddy boy.

And? What's your point?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree Neil.

To be honest I'm not sure the argument about smearing players at the last minute holds too much water - as soon as players (in their prime) decide they want to go, they lose all support from the fans. Period.

Maybe the club puts the final spin on things at the last minute ie "dont question the deal because we had to do it at the last minute" but its marginal when compared to a player voicing his desire to leave in the first place.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=47165.msg1411507#msg1411507 date=1318503176]
sorry, but you're the one poster i simply refuse to engage with. that's because i hate you. i hate you because you're a total cunt.

[/quote]
Hahaha!

Cool.

So Torres isn't a cunt and the owners are!

Smashing to have cleared that up. I feel so 2 years ago.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47165.msg1411480#msg1411480 date=1318495792]
[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=47165.msg1411451#msg1411451 date=1318477641]
[/quote]

Sorry but I for one don't give a flying fcuk how we "look", to Bolton Wanderers or to any other bugger, if what we've said is justified. Out of touch with our Premiership counterparts? Cry me a river. We used to be out of touch at the top of the league. I want us back up there.
[/quote]

You're not bothered about how our club carries itself? Fair enough, proves my point, we used to be proud of it.

Kenny Dalglish has paid Liverpool's owners what he considers to be the ultimate compliment - by likening them to those who ran the club during his first reign in the 1980s.

John W Henry, Tom Werner and the rest of Fenway Sports Group arrived at Anfield a year ago this Saturday and have since invested heavily to turn around the club's fortunes on and off the pitch.

Asked to reflect on their year in charge at his pre-Manchester United press conference, Dalglish said: "The greatest compliment I can pay to them is that they're as good as the people who ran the club the first time I was here.

"That's a hell of a statement because the people who ran the club then, Sir John Smith and Peter Robinson, were two of the best any football club could ever have had.

"John, Tom Werner and the rest of the investors that have supported this football club have been absolutely fantastic.

"Since I came in January they've been nothing but supportive towards what we have to do. Their ambitions and aims are exactly the same as our most ardent fan - they want to have the success that everyone craves. And they've started off very encouragingly.

"We wish them a happy birthday and if we can get a win to put the icing on the cake then fine, we'll be happy with that.

"But irrespective of the result it won't take away how good they are as owners."

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=47165.msg1411586#msg1411586 date=1318513329]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47165.msg1411480#msg1411480 date=1318495792]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You're not bothered about how our club carries itself? Fair enough, proves my point, we used to be proud of it.
[/quote]

Other people's views of how we carry ourselves are not automatically justified. I do care about how the club behaves. What I don't care about is whether our competitors, who are hardly unbiased to begin with, approve or not.

I have no doubt that Comolli's recent comments about players causing dressing room unrest is related to a recent experience, and there's a good chance that it was our bird flipping friend, Mr Meirles.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=47165.msg1411507#msg1411507 date=1318503176]

[/quote]

Just click ignore button?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom