• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Future penalty taker

Hansern

Thinks he owns the place
There is a discussion to be had about making Macca our nr 1 penalty taker. Salah loves to score goals but his penalty record has taken a bit of a hit these last few seasons, and Macca is just perfection.
The lad was doing keepy ups and was all smiles before zoning in and putting it past Ederson.
Going forward he has to be our nr 1.

If we had gotten a pen last night in the 99th minute then I would have wanted Macca to take it, not Salah. That is confirmation enough in itself.

Thoughts?

I never trusted Salah as a penalty taker. Even when his record was really good it felt like an accident waiting to happen. It's like with Nunez, yeah great record but I was always just waiting for the fuck up.

Macca, Szobo and Nunez all have great records but Szobo always just drills it to the same corner and Nunez is Nunez, so I'd agree with Mac as the first choice. I reckon Trent would be as good tbh, but why take the chance finding out when we've already got a proven option.

Genuine question: Is a 79.6% penalty conversion rate any good? Doesn't sound good to me.

EDIT: I've just read that the average conversoin rate is 75%. Would ideally want our guy to be 80 - 90 percent no?

Best penalty takers in the world by percentage (as of 1 Mar 2024)

"To ensure some validity, we drew the line at including only players who have score more than 30 penalty goals in their careers. That is, 31 being the cut-off point. Of course, penalty shootouts are not included in the count."

Haaland - 91.11
Lewandowski - 89.53
Fernandes - 89.47
Ramos - 86.48
Kane - 86.41
Lukaku - 85.71
Jorginho - 85.51
Ronaldo - 84.73
Immobile - 82.63
Benzema - 82

"(between 27 Jun 2023 to 1 Mar 2024) While Salah did score seven new penalties, he missed three and his overall record is 39 made out of 49 attempted. A percentage of 79.59%, coming down from 82.05%."

=====

Why left-footers are behind record penalty conversion rate in the Premier League
Dated 21 Dec 2023

If you’ve ever wondered why a penalty has an expected-goals value of 0.78, it’s because on average 78 per cent of penalties are scored.

But in the Premier League this season, the conversion rate is almost 92 per cent — 44 goals from 48 penalties. Earlier this month, Chelsea’s Robert Sanchez saved Bruno Fernandes’ penalty to end a run of 32 successful penalties in a row.

Premier League penalty conversion rates have been as low as 65.5 per cent in 2001-02 and as high as 83.9 per cent in 2013-14. There are periods when players score or miss more. In fact, three of the last five seasons have seen above-average conversion rates.
That recent spike might owe to a law change ahead of the 2019-20 season, which required goalkeepers to be on the line — preventing them from starting behind it to jump forward — and minimised their movement. It takes skilled goalkeepers 0.6 to 1 second to dive to the corners from the centre of the goal, and penalties can reach the goal as quickly as 0.4 seconds, so being pinned to the line compounds the attacking advantage.

Additionally, penalty takers may be getting used to long VAR delays, which have been attributed to lower conversion rates (as anxiety goes up).
An influx of quality penalty-takers might explain the phenomenon, as would the departure of the league’s best penalty-saving goalkeepers (or the reverse for bad takers/savers), but neither has happened.

But since the start of 2021-22, Premier League goalkeepers have dived the right way 41 per cent of the time against right-footed penalties — regardless of the shot outcome — compared to 30 per cent against left-footers. That sample feels big enough: inclusive of penalties under the new penalty laws but also excluding behind-closed-doors games during the pandemic, given the psychological nature of penalties.

Left-footers, like left-handers, are a minority in football but are often overrepresented compared to the general population. Football pitches are symmetrical, and the Eurocentric modern positional styles require left-footers, Pyzdrowski explains. “Especially in today’s game, the desire for most teams to want to play out of the back, you see more left-footed players,” he says. “You don’t just see them on the wings, guys in the middle, left-footed centre-backs — a hot commodity. I think that applies to penalties too.”

Critically, this trend is not the result of a few quality left-footed penalty-takers (or bad right-footers) skewing overall trends. Chelsea’s Cole Palmer (four out of four penalties scored this season), Brentford’s Bryan Mbeumo (three out of three) and Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah (three out of four) are left-footed right-wingers; Alexis Mac Allister (right-footed) who joined Liverpool in the summer, scored six of seven penalty attempts last season for Brighton & Hove Albion but is behind Salah in the pecking order.

Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka is their primary taker and another left-footed right-winger — in fact, all six of Arsenal’s Premier League penalties this season have been scored by left-footers: Saka, Fabio Vieira, Martin Odegaard and Kai Havertz. Manchester City used to have Riyad Mahrez on penalties, another left-footed right-winger, though he only scored 13 out of 21 penalties for City. He has been replaced by Erling Haaland (three out of four this season), a left-footed No 9.

Last edited:
Klopp just needs to tell Salah he's off penos. They're too big in the coming games if we get one. And Klopp should feel totally free to do what he wants now. If Salah takes a massive strop and vows to go to Saudi in the Summer Klopp can say, not my fuckin problem.

I see Macca nothing else than the future captain of our side.. I thought Trent. But Macca for me.

He is just naturally gifted player, technician. There is just something about his calmness, the way he can dictate play and read the game so well, you can see he is a leader in that respects.

The rise of Endo has Freed up Macca to play in a more natural position, and boy what a player he is. Him and Endo dictate the midfield.

Szoboszlai is now the odd one out in that midfield... And is no longer a first name on the team sheet. Jones when fit originally starts ahead of him.

For Macca. As Captain he will make the informed choice.. My guess he will want the responsibility..

For now though Salah will be first choice I suspect. He misses another, that could change.

If we got a peno Sunday Salah would have taken it and prob missed anyway.

It should be Nunez or Macca.

Alexis Mac Allister‘s penalty for Liverpool against Man City at Anfield on 10 March 2024 was his ninth converted of 10 taken (90% success rate) – his only miss came for Brighton against Wolves in April 2022. He went on to score another penalty taken in this game, however.

Current Premier League stars are just outside the >90% gang for penalty success.
Evergreen James Milner has scored 89.5% of his Premier League penalties (17/19), while Arsenal midfielder Jorginho has converted 19 of his 22 (86.4%) in the competition. Man Utd’s designated penalty taker Bruno Fernandes has scored 17 of the 21 that he’s taken in the Premier League (81%) while Mohamed Salah’s conversion rate from the spot is 80% in the competition (24/30) – the same as Marcus Rashford (8/10).

View: https://twitter.com/OptaAnalyst/status/1768346492333437190

The competition is on track for over 100 penalties this term, with the per-game average set at 0.28. That in itself isn’t especially unusual because eight previous Premier League seasons have seen 100+ penalties, but only three have had a greater per-game average; 2020-21 holds the record for both with a total of 125 at a rate of one every three games (0.33).

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

In theory, we have a few decent penalty takers now; almost seems weird salah still takes them when he's on the pitch

Macallister reminds me of Kuyt or Milner on penalties - unfazed. That's the primary quality you need in a penalty taker

I'd be happy with either Mac or Szobo on pens. Mac feels a bit calmer and cooler to me, so I have slightly more faith that in a big game or in a high emotion moment he would find the calmness to slot it.

Whilst I love it when Mo does his funky side step, into run up into lashing it in... it feels like he's changed his technique recently which has led to a few mediocre pens. For me, he's lost the right.

I appreciate mo taking them, but at this stage it's more down to his own desire for accolades than a footballing decision.

It should be first Macca, then szob, Nunez, Salah in order

I have nightmares we'll get a decisive penalty, Macca and Szobo will be gagging for it, and Mo smashes it straight at the keeper or something...

Yeah I agree, I think Nunez could be too emtional for important pens too.

My preference would be Macca, Szobo, Salah, other (in here any one of Nunez, VVD, Trent could also be reliable back up takers)

Back
Top Bottom