• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Goodbye Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isnt a thread about Rafa though is it?
But seeing as you brought him up.
He bought 59 players, I counted 18 good signings and some of them werent even that tbh.
Rodgers got some way to go before he's in that league.
We've bought younger players with potential and if they dont work out we'll get our money back.
We had to give loads of Rafas players away while paying their salary.

Well it's like this notion that Rafa was a genius for leaving us with Sterling and Suso, have you seen the other shitload of young players that he threw money at? 2 out of 30 ain't bad I guess.

I'd also like to see the wage scale for the team that finished 2nd last year, in comparison to the one that finished Rafa's last season. We had an overinflated wage bill that took ages to pay off, the two highest earners last year (aside from Suarez, who was pre Rodgers anyway) were probably Johnson and Gerrard, who we had on major contracts from back in the day. Gerrard's deserved his, but does Johnson warrant £100k + per week? Has he ever?

Well Gareth Barry may not have been anywhere near as good as Alonso but he did manage to win the league with Man City and is still playing decently with Everton. Rodgers is a long way from being relieved of his duties in my opinion (very little chance before the end of the season) but it all depends then on where we finish and how we've done in the cups. The longer he goes without a trophy the harder it is for him. So close to winning the league but in the cups whilst he's been in charge we have been hopeless. The pressure is certainly starting to mount on Rodgers but as Liverpool manager you have to cope with such pressure and we'll see if he can.

Our return from transfers has been poor stretching back to Souness. There's little point comparing any two managers in this regard because they've all been not good enough.

Our return from transfers has been poor stretching back to Souness. There's little point comparing any two managers in this regard because they've all been not good enough.

Undoubtedly true, we have wasted more money than most clubs have spent over the last 20 years

True. We've pissed away so much money it hurts.
A good Director of Football would have invested that money so much better, at least parts of it.
From Diouf, Cheyrou, Diao to Downing, Carroll and Adam.
Johnson and Aqua.

Will be 2-3 from Rodgers aswell. Most likely Borini and possibly Sakho and Balotelli.
But at least we'll get some money back compared to most of the dross above.

Difference is, Rafa's players wanted to come.
Mkhitaryan, Salah and Costa told us to fuck off.

Not sure what point you are making here. Are you saying that those players who told us to fuck off, did so because Rodgers was manager?

Not sure what point you are making here. Are you saying that those players who told us to fuck off, did so because Rodgers was manager?
That's one of the reasons, what pedigree does he have compared to Rafa?
But basically, there was at least a chance of getting the players Rafa wanted.

We're where Man Utd were during the 70s and 80s. We have to throw money at players to persuade them to come. We sign big names, but not brilliant names. We break transfer records more in hope than expectation. We buy lots of players and for every Alonso or Suarez or Torres who comes good we have a dozen Aquilanis or Robbie Keane. We try buying players we think can handle the shirt, but the shirt seems to weigh them down. We're bound to waste more money than most because the expectation is bigger, the desperation is greater, the pressure destroys too many. Then when do get a Torres or Alonso or Suarez they out grow us. It's a fucked situation.

Nah he started my descent into Liverpool-cynicism but bringing Benitez back is more backwards thinking than hiring Hodgson in the first place

It would be very divisive for sure. But would we get back into the top four regularly? Would we be able to defend a set piece? would he be ridiculed by the razor-sharp minds of pundits like Danny Mills and Robbie Savage? For sure. But, possibilities, no?

Buy basically, there was at least a chance of getting the players Rafa wanted.

So you're saying that players who saw the wonderful football we played last season, and knew we wanted them, looked at who the manager ( who was responsible for that football being played) was, and said "fuck that"?

I doubt that ANY player turned us down in August because of who the manager was.

So you're saying that players who saw the wonderful football we played last season, and knew we wanted them, looked at who the manager ( who was responsible for that football being played) was, and said "fuck that"?

I doubt that ANY player turned us down in August because of who the manager was.

A well known manager would have helped.

But basically, there was at least a chance of getting the players Rafa wanted.

That's selective at best, no one knows whether someone like Alves would have come here, I mean, he ended up at Barca. We lost out on some players because other clubs were interested, look at the likes of Vidic. There's not many I can think of off the top of my head who we lost on, but desperately wanted to come here. Barry? Heinze? Hardly devastating blows. Rafa wanted to spend £40m on Barry and Keane, go figure.

Quite. It's not like the wages, or the Capital was a factor with any of them. It's not like someone like, hmmmm... Sanchez, said as much.

If you look at Rafa's major signings (over 5m) there are more successes than failures

SUCCESSES

Alonso bought for 10.7m sold for 30m
Garcia bought for 6m sold for 4m
Reina bought for 6m sold for 2m
Crouch bought for 7m sold for 11m
Sissoko bought for 5.6m sold for 8.2m
Agger bought for 5.8m sold for 3m
Kuyt bought for 9m sold for 8m
Lucas bought for 5m still here
Torres bought for 20.2m sold for 50m
Skrtel bought for 6.5m still here
Mascherano bought for 18.6m sold for 17.2m

FAILURES

Morientes bought for 6.3m sold for 3m
Pennant bought for 6.7m left on a free
Babel bought for 11.5m sold for 5.8m
Dossena bought for 7m sold for 4.7m
Keane bought for 19m sold for 16m
Riera for 8m sold for 3.3m
Aquilani bought for 17.1m left for an undisclosed fee

Relative Successes/Failures

Bellamy bought for 6m sold for 7.5m
Benayoun bought for 5m sold for 6m
Johnson bought for 17.5m still here

Maybe you could argue over Sissoko being a success but i thought he did relatively well at first before losing confidence but we made money on him so hardly a big deal.
Same with Crouch really in that he played well but didn't always score as many goals as he should have but again we made money on him when he was moved on.

With the failures Riera had one pretty good season but ultimately wasn't good enough and Aquilani was hampered initially by his injury and then the managers after Benitez left obviously didn't rate him but when he did play he seemed decent to me (not outstanding maybe but certainly not shite).
It looks like with the exceptions of Aquilani , Pennant and Babel we didn't lose out too much on the failures and with the successes we either made money or got our moneys worth. I got these figures from http://liverpoolfc.wikia.com/wiki/Rafael_Benitez/Transfers so if some of them are wrong then blame them.

It needs to be said also then for some of his time in charge Benitez had to battle Hicks and Gillette with regards to money and there were times when he had to sell players in order to but other ones. I think he would have preferred to keep crouch and maybe even bellamy but he needed to. I haven't included some of the cheaper signings (of which there where many) but it's usually the larger signings that a manager is judged on.
If Rodgers loses his job at the end of the season or whenever his critics will point to markovic , Balotelli or Lallana if they fail to deliver but no-one will mention Şahin or assaidi because they weren't as costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom