• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hillsborough - Judgement Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glasgow council is set to pay tribute to the Hillsborough families and one of the city’s most famous sons – Kenny Dalglish - following the inquest verdicts.

It comes just days after calls for former Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish to be knightedfor his “extraordinary” response to the Hillsborough tragedy.

The Hillsborough disaster is being branded the “greatest miscarriage of justice of our times” after the jury at the Warrington inquests ruled that 96 Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed.

Now Glasgow city council is set to pay tribute to the Hillsborough families “for the tireless campaign” as well as to “the people of Liverpool for the support they have given the families”.

The motion, which is due to be put to the council when it meets in May describes the inquest verdict as “a monumental step in achieving justice for the 96 victims”.

And in addition the council is asked to pay “tribute to Glasgow’s Kenny Dalglish who stood shoulder to shoulder with the people of Liverpool and played a critical role in supporting the campaign for truth and justice”.

Frank McAveety, leader of Glasgow city council, said: “Glaswegians have always enjoyed a warm and close relationship with the people of Liverpool.

“We have the upmost admiration for their continuing campaign for truth and justice for the 96 Hillsborough victims and their families. We are proud that a Glaswegian, Kenny Dalglish, continues to play such a crucial role in this struggle.

You'd get loads of book groupies as well. Sexy librarian types. Macca hasn't thought this through properly.

You'd get loads of book groupies as well. Sexy librarian types. Macca hasn't thought this through properly.
Sexy librarian types that take their glasses off and let their hair down, while music plays in the background, to become even sexier.

Anyway @gkmacca do you actually reckon he'd ever be offered one? I don't think anyone from Liverpool FC has been offered a knighthood despite all the years of success.

If it's ever going to happen now's the time, in the aftermath of the Hillsborough inquest with everybody and his brother jumping on the bandwagon.

A video came out in the mid 80s, a history of Liverpool FC. It was my fave thing on the tellybox and I wore the thing out. I'm pretty sure that there was a letter from the queen or some shit that offered us to prefix Liverpool with royal, like Madrid et al in Spain, but we told them to shove it.

Nothing on Google, maybe I dreamt it. But if I didn't it might explain the lack of subsequent offers

Anyway @gkmacca do you actually reckon he'd ever be offered one? I don't think anyone from Liverpool FC has been offered a knighthood despite all the years of success.

Purely for cynical PR reasons, I'd expect so. I've always been intrigued by the fact that, for the past decade or so, Graham Taylor is the man on the Honours Committee who has most power to push through a gong for a footballing figure. Maybe Kenny upset him, or he's still dazed from all those defeats! I'd suspect that, rather than invite questions like, 'Why not sooner?', they'll avoid awarding it to him from that section and channel it through Community instead.

A video came out in the mid 80s, a history of Liverpool FC. It was my fave thing on the tellybox and I wore the thing out. I'm pretty sure that there was a letter from the queen or some shit that offered us to prefix Liverpool with royal, like Madrid et al in Spain, but we told them to shove it.

Nothing on Google, maybe I dreamt it. But if I didn't it might explain the lack of subsequent offers
Dreamed or not, I think we should adopt that story as fact

In fact maybe we should be called Unreal Liverpool

Nah, if you can't search for it then it's defo some bullshit someone has told me that I've chosen to believe

Wow. There were some very strong appreceations towards the verdicts around the stadiums yesterday. I saw Newcastle fans singing YNWA and Goodison going on forever in their applause for the verdict. Class!

Yes. There seems to be a strong sense across English football that the whole thing, not only the disaster itself but also the subsequent cover-up, could have happened anywhere and that everyone had (still has for that matter) a stake in the Hillsborough Justice Campaign.

I'm glad the truth is at last out. But it has to be said that it has taken 27 years and ordinary families to become extraordinary to get this verdict and more to the point this realization.

The real story is that it has taken a very long time for the British public to believe that a corrupt Police Force in collusion with a deeply cynical Government and venal media caused and then covered the reasons why a tragedy unfolded. Perhaps now it is realized that authorities who were thought to work for the public good aren't necessarily your friend.

For many from the days of watching the guildford 4 and birmingham 6, it's not hard to imagine the justice system as somewhat malleable to the whims to those in political authority. It's not terribly surprising, but still quite shocking.

Interesting that there still seem to be people who are don't want to know and are seemingly defaulting to the Liverpool likes misery type stereotype.

The reality is that the public should really be demanding that the guilty go to prison for this.

Sadly some folks will cling to kneejerks and catchphrases till the cows come home, just to avoid the bother of having to think things through properly.

Heaven knows we see that tendency often enough on here.

The dude who wrote this's book goes on sale tonight.

It's boss
The article is brilliant and I will definitely buy the book.
I will choose my time time to read it carefully.
I have no association with Hillsborough bar being a fan yet articles like this make me very emotional and I cannot stop constantly welling up.
I simply cannot start to understand how all you lads and lassies who have been directly or indirectly connected to it do it.
Kudos.
xx

It's only the first little bit that talks about the disaster itself, that article is much more gruesome than anything in the book. It's much more focussed on how it impacted on culture.

I saw the Everton programme cover on twitter and clicked on it and underneath was a twitter user called greenwall99 who was posting tweets like 'scum fuck the 96' and pics of fans crushed in the pens with 'hilarious' and other stuff underneath. Not the only ones sadly. He's proabbly some 15 year old, but still made me want to find him and smash his fucking teeth down his throat.
For all the majority of fans applauding the efforts and verdict the response of the few is still bewildering and hurtful and rage inducing. I've avoided it since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom