• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Hillsborough: Searching For The Truth

If I'd lost someone there and the Queen went to pin some medal on me Id ask her why the fuck she never bothered her arse to visit the scene of the disaster or any of the families. I'd then pin the medal right in her forehead.

If I'd lost someone there and the Queen went to pin some medal on me Id ask her why the fuck she never bothered her arse to visit the scene of the disaster or any of the families. I'd then pin the medal right in her forehead.

And then allowed Bettison to get knighted...for services to cover ups

Perhaps, but they've singlehandedly uncovered one of the grossest miscarriages of jusitce and cover ups arguably ever in Britain.

That deserves state recognition of some kind or another. Even if it's just an offer.

To me they haven't done anything not done from grief and tragedy, and I don't think it's appropriate to be rewarding such behaviour. It cheapens it somehow. Don't get me wrong, I still appreciate the sentiment.

We all knew why he suddenly retired the cowardly shithouse. Nice protected pension. What a gobshite.

Yep, didn't we all. It didn't stop the shithouse did it. Or Dukinfield being medically retired on full pension and playing golf all the time.

BGtP8v9CAAE8s3K.jpg

Good. It may only be a token gesture that's removed but it sends a message.

I'd hope it gets some media attention but sadly I fear it will get little, if any, national coverage.

New inquests into the deaths of 96 supporters at Hillsborough will take place at the start of next year

The coroner who will oversee the hearings, Lord Goldring, told families and campaigners at a hearing in London today that he would aim for early 2014. There had been some dismay at the contention of the Police Federation that the inquests should not be held until after the investigations into the cover-up had been completed - a process which will take many years.

However, Lord Goldring indicated that any such delay would be wrong. He told the hearing: "Anne Williams's death is a powerful reminder, if one were needed, that there is an urgency attaching to the commencement of the inquest hearings as well as a need for that investigation to be as full as possible."

Lord Goldring also said that he would confirm a venue for the inquests next week.
New inquests were ordered in December when the High Court quashed the original accidental death verdicts. All this follows the damning report into the tragedy and the subsequent cover up by the Hillsborough Independent Panel last September.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...efuse-evidence

Hillsborough disaster police officers to refuse to give evidence to inquest

Lawyers say officers will exercise right not to answer questions to avoid incriminating themselves in criminal proceedings

Police officers on duty at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough football ground when 96 Liverpool supporters died in 1989 will refuse to give evidence to the new inquest into the disaster, their barristers have said at a pre-inquest hearing.

Lawyers for the three most senior surviving police officers in command that day, and the Police Federation representing lower ranked officers, said the inquest should be delayed for years until any possible criminal proceedings have been concluded. If held before that, Paul Greaney QC for the Police Federation said, officers under investigation for possible criminal misconduct would exercise their right not to answer questions, to avoid the risk of incriminating themselves.

"Many of those witnesses will be under investigation for possible offences, including homicide, and there is potential for them to be prosecuted," Greaney said to the coroner, Lord Justice Goldring. "It is likely there will be an increased incidence of witnesses refusing to give evidence by invoking the privilege against self-incrimination."

From the rows of bereaved Hillsborough family members in the large courtroom on High Holborn in London, there were audible gasps, and one said, quite loudly: "Outrageous."

John Beggs QC, representing Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield, who was in command at Hillsborough, and the senior officers inside and outside the ground, Superintendents Roger Greenwood and Roger Marshall, supported Greaney's call for the inquest to be delayed.

Goldring refused, however, and ruled the new inquest should start in early 2014.

He said that waiting for the criminal investigation, which was being led by Jon Stoddart, the former chief constable of Durham police, and then any prosecutions and appeals, could amount to a six-year delay. In his opening remarks, Goldring expressed sympathy for the families' anguish and grief, and emphasised the need for the inquest to be held quickly, given that 24 years have already elapsed since the disaster. The original inquest with its verdict of accidental death was quashed in December after a long campaign against it by the families of the victims.

"I bear in mind that over that course of time some of the bereaved have died, most recently, of course, Anne Williams," Goldring said. Williams, 62, who lost her 15-year-old son Kevin at Hillsborough, died last week. "Her death is a powerful reminder, if one were needed, that there is an urgency attaching to the commencement of the inquest hearings."

Michael Mansfield QC, representing some of the families of the victims, pressed Goldring to appoint his own staff to handle the evidence for the inquest, saying the families had no faith in the Independent Police Complaints Commission, which is gathering the evidence on police conduct during and after the disaster, and with whom Stoddart is working closely. Goldring said he would consider that request.

Afterwards, Margaret Aspinall, chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, said if police officers were innocent of wrongdoing, they would give evidence.

"Why would you stay silent after 24 years?" she asked.

Goldring will decide next week the location for the new inquest, after the family groups disagreed about where they would prefer. Mansfield, representing the largest group, 71 families who are HFSG members, said their overwhelming majority view was for the inquest to be held in London. The principal reason, he said, was that London would be perceived as neutral in the bitterly contested history of Hillsborough, and there would be no possibility of "actual or perceived bias".

However Pete Weatherby QC, representing 20 families, and lawyers for two other families, argued London was too far for mostly Liverpool-based family members to attend in full, and somewhere neutral in the north, such as Preston, should host it.

I couldn't swear to it but I think the guy representing the Police Federation is the one whom the FA instructed to prosecute Suarez last year.

You couldn't make it up.

Back
Top Bottom