• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

I bet against Ronnie O'Sullivan

Portly

Brittunculus
I thought the young Irish lad Mark Allen was playing with a lot of confidence against Ronnie O'Sullivan in the snooker World Championship. so I put £20 on him at 10/3 to liven the entertainment up a bit.

Allen was trailing by two frames overnight, but I decided to stay with Allen, partly on the grounds that O'Sullivan is more of an "evening" kind of player. So I put a further £10 on Allen at 6/1.

Allen duly won the tie 13-11 this morning. Betting is great fun when you are winning! ;D

Every time the snooker is on, I sit down to chillax and I think it's gashtastic etc but then I embrace it and managed to quite happily watch extra from 1 to 3 in the morning.

Nice skills Portly. Your bets always seem to come in when I read about them on this forum, maybe you should post some tips in the gambling forum, in the future 😉

Ha ha, it's a fact that gamblers only talk about their winning bets! I'm sure that if I started handing out tips, I would soon take over from Roger Rederer as the most unpopular man in the forum!

I am the same as you with the snooker. I don't generally choose to watch it, but when a particular match takes your interest, it can be very absorbing. I like the defensive stuff more interesting than the big breaks, which are very skilful but basically like watching paint dry.

Odd how certain sport's popularity can wax and wane

I recall watching Joe Johnson winning his title, or was it that other bloke with the huge gigs (Dennis sommat?) and the TV audiences were astonishing, like 20m or something

Yes, TV snooker isn't anywhere near as popular as it used to be.

I think one reason is that the big characters have disappeared. The earnest young chaps we have now are probably better players, but don't set the pulses racing.

Remember the big Canadian, Bill Werbeniuk, who claimed that his doctor told him to drink 20 pints of lager every day to calm his nerves? I think the commentators actually believed this. ;D

Over 18 million watched until the early hours as the Davis/Taylor final was decided on the final black of the final frame.

There were certainly more characters back then which created soap opera interest in the sport however the standard is much higher these days.

With regards to O'Sullivan, it's a shame that the greatest natural talent for the game was given to a thicko with a losers' mentality.

O'Sullivan is an unstoppable force once he "gets into his stride!" The only way to deal with that is to do what Mark Allen did on Saturday morning - not let him anywhere near the table! ;D

Back
Top Bottom