• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The dying breed of fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabio

Former mod, consistent c***
Honorary Member
Article From f365

Wanted: The next generation of football fans

Date published: Wednesday 28th February 2018 8:22

The average age of match-going football supporters has increased dramatically over the last 50 years; that is undeniable. In his magnificent state-of-the-nation book And The Sun Shines Now, Adrian Tempany reports that the age of an average fan in the Stretford End at Old Trafford rose from 17 in 1968 to 40 in 2008. At St James’ Park, the average age rose from 35 to 45 in a decade. Same old faces; no new faces.

It hardly takes a detective to diagnose the reason for that shift. The Guardian’s David Conn identified in 2011 that, while inflation in the UK over the previous 20 years was 77 per cent, the price of watching football at the highest level had increased extraordinarily. Every club is guilty because the game itself is guilty, but let’s look at one example. The cheapest season ticket at Anfield, in a largely working-class area, increased by 1,108 per cent between 1990 and 2011. The deliberate gentrification of English football, spelled out in one statistic.

The rise in ticket prices is the headline news and it has created a national crisis. As part of their Price of Football survey in 2017, BBC Sport interviewed 1,000 supporters aged between 18 and 24. Over 80 per cent of them said that the price of tickets was a barrier to them attending matches.

The younger generation are generally scalded for their tendency to absorb football via television or video game console, but football clubs have given them little choice – specifically through their ticketing pricing structures and generally through their greed.

When you ingest football outside of a stadium, it becomes a different product entirely. Even the football obsessive changes, defined not by the number of matches attended but the hours spent in front of a television. For the cost of attending 90 minutes of Championship football, you can have a monthly subscription that allows you to watch more than 20 games a week.

ADVERTISING

This might not seem like it matters, but it does. When the television is your pitch, you are far less likely to form a bond with your local club and more likely to idolise the game’s best teams and players, their brilliance hammered home in a manner approaching propaganda.

Can you blame them? Why would you invest in loyalty to a football club that happens to be ten miles from your home when they have actively priced you out of the market?

Take Hull City, a club with enough cracks in the fan-club dynamic to merit its own book. Hull implement a ticketing policy that fails to offer any concessions for individual matches to children or senior citizens. They do offer a short window for buying concessionary tickets in the small ‘family zone’ of the stadium, but otherwise only have a flat rate. Tickets for one adult and two small children for the home game against Barnsley on Tuesday evening started at £54 and went up to £81. This was 20th vs 21st in the division.

Take Chelsea, whose junior season tickets start at £285 in the family area and rise to £485. Take Mansfield Town, who charge a seven-year-old £14 to watch League Two football. Take Leeds United, whose match-day prices for 17-year-olds range from £26 to £34 depending on the opposition. Take almost every club in the top two divisions, for whom ticketing revenue is a decreasing percentage of their overall income. According to Deloitte, the proportion of clubs’ annual revenues coming from match-day ticket sales fell dramatically in a decade, from 29 per cent in 2007-08 to 15 per cent in 2017-18.

This week, Nottingham Forest announced plans for a new pricing structure for season tickets. Under 11s will pay just £10 when accompanied by an adult, while season tickets are available at £50 for those aged between 12 and 17 and £100 for the 18-23 age bracket. Forest have got more wrong than right on and off the field over the last decade, but this is, finally, a welcome move. On this pricing structure, a child could feasibly watch 20 years of football for £980.

The £100 season ticket for yoing adults is most interesting. It is at this age that many move away from the weekly pilgrimage to their football club. The price hike from junior concessions arrives at the same time as you are typically having to be more financially independent, budgeting and prioritising while spending more on your social life.

If there is a choice between paying £500 on 19 home games (half of which may be televised) or spending that £26 on beer with your mates, it isn’t hard to see why the Football Supporters’ Federation have spotted the pattern of fans dropping out at this age. They may return when older and more affluent, but it is a risk. By then, those supporters may have been indoctrinated into football as pure televisual entertainment.

Forest are not unique. Bradford City and Huddersfield Town are two clubs who set the price of adult season tickets below £200 in order to improve attendances and have been successful in doing so. But this specifically youth-focused initiative is unusual.

There will inevitably be negative comments from rival football fans about Forest bringing in this new pricing structure purely to fill empty seats, although it’s worth pointing out that the average attendance this season is – at the time of writing – the highest since 1996/97. There will also be those who view this as a cynical move to generate indirect revenue from merchandising and refreshments in the ground.

But so what? This is a positive move for all. A club may forego a small percentage of ticketing revenue in the short term but gain a supporter in the longer term, who may indeed buy merchandise and then continue to buy tickets after passing the discounted age.

The club wins, but so does the community. As Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany said last month:”Winning more football matches would be far more beneficial than actually putting up the prices and therefore leaving some of those people from the right communities out of the stadium. They are the people who care.”

More importantly, the average age of the match-going supporter will decrease, potentially creating the next generation of fans. A club will have a greater bond with young people in the local area, having ignored them for too long. This is their future.

This is the future, too. Ticket pricing and the ‘next generation’ vacuum is not a matter of tribalism; it runs deeper than that. Make this a club issue rather than a football issue, and the demands and interests of supporters are diluted.

No club in the top two divisions of English football has any excuse not to implement a season ticket pricing structure identical to Forest’s. The only argument against it is rampant greed.

Participation brings enjoyment. Enjoyment brings loyalty. Loyalty, when shared, helps forge a fan culture. Without fans, football is nothing. Without young fans, football’s future looks very bleak indeed

(On my phone so no binnying)

So what's the plan? And is there any more reasoning other than cost?

I think the prevalence of young people attending university and potentially staying in another part of the country miles away impacts too. Graduates with money may no longer be near he team they support.

In the case of my life, I support Liverpool, Mrs supports Chelsea. Who does our child support? She says both, I say no. You can't get fully invested if you don't have a sole love, so I'm going to try and get the kids to support someone local, and cheap so they can actually go to a game.

The quality might not be great, and the atmosphere a fraction, but it'll make them love the game all the same.

Mate of mine has followed City of Liverpool FC who would be a great option, fan owned, left wing, cheap tickets, seems to have a great atmosphere, and are trying to sort their own permanent ground. Heard nothing but really good things about "The Purps".

It's symptomatic of pushing the working classes out of everything they build. This isn't just about the young ones.

I hope one day they have a day tripper stand, a locals on the day stand, the rest seasons and aways.

When we were kids we'd go and stick together on the kop. Now if my kids go with their mates they're all dotted round the place, so they'd rather go the pub.

No answers, soz.

The average age figures are probs North of the truth. Old dudes don't hand their tickets back to the club for redistribution to the waiting list when they stop going, they keep them in the family or loan them out.

This is no different to any other parts of life, with younger people finding it difficult to buy houses etc.

When we were kids we'd go and stick together on the kop. Now if my kids go with their mates they're all dotted round the place, so they'd rather go the pub.

No answers, soz.

The average age figures are probs North of the truth. Old dudes don't hand their tickets back to the club for redistribution to the waiting list when they stop going, they keep them in the family or loan them out.

Kids and "go to the pub" in the same sentence reminds me that I am growing old as a frequent cost these days seem to be buying beer to my son and nephew when we watch Liverpool.

Mate of mine has followed City of Liverpool FC who would be a great option, fan owned, left wing, cheap tickets, seems to have a great atmosphere, and are trying to sort their own permanent ground. Heard nothing but really good things about "The Purps".
Certainly an option for my kids.

At the moment I've plumped for prescot cables though

I keep thinking I've had enough of modern footy, but it's a total love / hate relationship... I hate all the money talk, and the stupid behavioural expectations of what is an intrinsically tribal mini-war between cities, but I wouldn't get the same buzz anywhere other than Anfield. I can't be arsed with grass roots stuff when there's an actual world class event with some of the best players on earth on up the road every fortnight.

I keep thinking I've had enough of modern footy, but it's a total love / hate relationship... I hate all the money talk, and the stupid behavioural expectations of what is an intrinsically tribal mini-war between cities, but I wouldn't get the same buzz anywhere other than Anfield. I can't be arsed with grass roots stuff when there's an actual world class event with some of the best players on earth on up the road every fortnight.
Which is completely fair. Got no doubt I'll hate my life if I go to evo stik league north games.

Only way to get them in the fold and understand the game isn't just about numbers though init?

Norwegian footie ain't remotely Close to world class, but we have a professional elite League occupying the top two divisions here. I rarely go to any games, as I live in the Capital and have no warm feelings for the city's only elite team. But I do go to games whenever my original local team is playing some away games in and around the Capital. They are on the fourth Level, so the standard is so so, but I used to play for them in my younger years, and there is allways this hope and dream that this is the year we will start climbing the divisions. And being in the Capital there is quite a few from my town that has fled the icey and snowy North for a better life in the big city, so there is normally a few locals around to support us even if we are playing away. I like those games.

People between the ages of 18 - 24 are generally cunts and have limited disposable income. Why on earth would we want such creatures in a football stadium?

People between the ages of 18 - 24 are generally cunts and have limited disposable income. Why on earth would we want such creatures in a football stadium?
Oh they're scum, but they'll actually sing at a ground and create an atmosphere, no matter who the opponent, and if we're winning or losing

Cull the king Kenny stand because they generally are a miserable shower

The OOTs are the best fun these days. If you go into town on Saturday morning the pubs are full of Irish and Scandos getting wellied, and they'll sing. Fabio is right, they should give my seat to a different OOT every week, one who'll get off his mongs and sing his head off.

When I've been in the new Main Stand I think I must have been in bits which aren't for seasos, coz you're surrounded by different accents, and they're all excited as fuck coz they had to travel so far and they've had a skinful and made a big weekend of it.

The OOTs are the best fun these days. If you go into town on Saturday morning the pubs are full of Irish and Scandos getting wellied, and they'll sing. Fabio is right, they should give my seat to a different OOT every week, one who'll get off his mongs and sing his head off.

When I've been in the new Main Stand I think I must have been in bits which aren't for seasos, coz you're surrounded by different accents, and they're all excited as fuck coz they had to travel so far and they've had a skinful and made a big weekend of it.

I was over for the Spurs game, try to make it a few trips each season. United played at home same weekend. Hence, when changing flights in Frankfurt the stewardess that operated the gate asked me if all we Norwegians were in one Group, as she tought half of fucking Norway was boarding the plane.

The thing I don't like about is that the Norwegian fan pages on Facebook and on the Norwegian forum is filled with people selling tickets for £180 - 350 or even more, and they will rather leave those seats empty than reduce that asking price. Doesn't seem to be a problem getting the price asked either.

Globalisation has also played it's part, kids go from (in my time) seeing the George Weah goal on motd and that was unheard of, it's just that it was a special goal and maybe that Football Italia on channel4 with James Richardson reading a bunch of pink newspapers to watching all sorts of Spanish, German, Italian games online on the telly etc.
Also, kids support Barcelona or Madrid, more accurately they support Messi or Ronaldo it's taken a little away from the tribal nature of the local team.

Touts gonna tout... But there's a strong commercial reason for less season tickets too. I get to the ground at five minutes to kick off and just watch the footy, haven't bought any merch since I was about 12. All the OOTs have bags full of shit they've spent hundreds on in the club store, and get in early and buy loads of beer and stuff. I should defo be in Fabio's cull.

I think they should have overpriced tickets sold in advance, & then at least one stand that is solely pay on the gate & cheap as fuck.

As kids we stood in the cold for three hours to get a ticket almost every home game, cos we had that on our side at least.

Now as an adult I have that little cash I'd do the same as would many others.

Selling tickets in advance at a cheap cost for those under 21 & requiring photo ID would obv help massively too.

Isn't this a simple supply and demand situation?

Well yeah. That's why it's hard to get tickets even when the cheapest ones are kinda expensive. My mate was saying to me the other day that we're the ones who've got it wrong... and that the season ticket is an anachronism now. We should fuck them off and pick and choose a few games a year and take the family, coz the days of just turning up are long gone. The days of thinking it's some sort of right and should be affordable etc are over. I'm not with him coz I like going to most games, and it's not a long term plan. My kids really aren't arsed about going, and when they do go I pay... It's not like they'd pay fifty odd quid when they can go meet their mates in the pub and have a laugh. The demographics aren't great as a long term investment. But...

In the article saying how stupid it is that Liverpool are kicking off 15 mins after the Grand National starts (it is) on the BBC, it also says the last time that happened 24 years ago we played Ipswich and had 30,000 in. Can you imagine that now? Demand is through the roof. It was Evans first full season and we were playing some good stuff. 30,000. Despite the idiocy of sticking the footy on at the same time as the racing, Anfield will have 53,000 in it for that match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom