• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Injury Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what will happen if they followed your foolish idea:

ipad-air-shattered-screen-image.png

I was reading the other day how back injuries can lead to all sorts of subsequent injuries to the groin/leg muscles due to the compensation required. Matip has had back injuries for years. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that is the root cause of all his issues.
I had a hip replacement 7 years ago. My surgeon came highly recommended (by my best mate who is also an orthapedic surgeon). On my first consultation he asked me if I ever get sciatica and I told him I get it about 5 or 6 times a year and it's horrible. He said that he reckoned I would not have any further bouts of sciatica after the operation! He was right.

Apparently, without me even noticing it, I had changed my walking/running stride over many years as the hip pain worsened and the unnatural gait had, over time, caused back issues.

If we did the necessary replacement surgeries, from a biological standpoint I don't think the club could continue to reasonably claim that he was still Joel Matip.
That being the case surely he would therefore be considered reborn and good for another 30 years? Not bad for a free transfer.

Matip’s football brain in Rhys’s or some other younger/healthier bloke’s body would result in one hell of a defender. Not suggesting anything; just sayin’.

Bittersweet that... means we won't purchase one.

Surely its proof positive that we need to purchase somebody, unless our medical and performance analysis teams are working on the assumption that when he comes back in mid Jan he will somehow have turned into a player who is capable of playing 2 games a week for 5 months, which he has never been in his career.

I get that the injury to VvD was a shock and completely upended our plans, but Matip and Gomez getting injured frequently is not at all a surprise.

Surely its proof positive that we need to purchase somebody, unless our medical and performance analysis teams are working on the assumption that when he comes back in mid Jan he will somehow have turned into a player who is capable of playing 2 games a week for 5 months, which he has never been in his career.

Well the problem surely is partly financial. Next season our centre back pairing will be VVD and one other, most likely Gomez (and Gomez's agent is clear that unless he's a regular he'll move to a London club asap, so people can forget about him settling into a back-up role). So if we go for another really top CB now, on top wages, he's either going to replace Gomez next season or become an overly-expensive sub as well as, in FSG's eyes at least, blocking the development of the young CBs.

And if we go instead on a short term replacement, good enough to play ahead of the kids this season but probably not good enough to partner VVD on a regular basis, he'd probably need to come on loan to persuade FSG to do the deal.

And those two options are based on the presumption that the right players are available on those terms. I'm sure Klopp wants another CB, but unless FSG can be convinced that a signing won't undermine player development and/or end up being an expensive sub, I can't see them sanctioning anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom