• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Intensity - the Pep Lijnders book

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did say to Pep I'm not expecting a dedication on the same level as he wrote to the Anfield Wrap guys but this was nice!
654567cb4dea9148f5d8e90fd4ad7ea0.jpg

You will have to imagine it Hass,because it isn't happening

I bought a copy at Anfield last week.

Fuck knows if I’ll read it.

I bought a copy for a young family member who plays football semi prof overseas.
he has said first time he’s enjoyed reading something like that for ages …he’s said his coach can read it after him and he’s agreed haha

What the fuck is this intensity business ? - right now I see loads of games where we have the ball most of the time, but we have three issues it appears:

1) Build up play is to slow when we have the ball
2) We seem to be shit at getting the 2nd balls these days.

I see us trying to run and still close down in midfield like all other seasons. It's just we get closed down now a bit quicker by opposition that want to play against us. To be honest - we have never been good at dealing with that in previous seasons.

Dated Mar 2022

[article]Dutch great Wim Kieft as slammed Liverpool assistant manager Pep Lijnders after an interview given to Dutch media.

Lijnders spoke with RTL7 this week after their Champions League success against Inter Milan, despite their second-leg defeat.

In reaction, Kieft scoffed in De Telegraaf: "For those who didn't know yet: Pepijn Lijnders, together with Jürgen Klopp, are the founders of the success of Liverpool. At least, according to Lijnders himself.

"He (Lijnders) caused crooked toes by constantly talking about 'Jürgen and I'. He only talked about the great cooperation, the openness of their relationship and the trust that had developed from that. An ostentatious attempt to take credit for itself or at least take some of the credit for Liverpool's performance.

"Whoever works as Klopp's assistant; Liverpool's success is Klopp's success.

“He experiences the pressure of being the head coach of Liverpool every day. The assistant is not under pressure. For him, it's easy to dance on the table and be part of a successful group without being held accountable for its success.

“Lijnders can sometimes rub that under his nose. It should be noted that Klopp and Lijnders are not, as Lijnders pretended, the ones who have put Liverpool on the map. Before their arrival in 2015, this great glorious and successful English club had already won numerous awards nationally and internationally Liverpool had already been the best in Europe four times."[/article]

Dated Mar 2022

[article]Dutch great Wim Kieft as slammed Liverpool assistant manager Pep Lijnders after an interview given to Dutch media.

Lijnders spoke with RTL7 this week after their Champions League success against Inter Milan, despite their second-leg defeat.

In reaction, Kieft scoffed in De Telegraaf: "For those who didn't know yet: Pepijn Lijnders, together with Jürgen Klopp, are the founders of the success of Liverpool. At least, according to Lijnders himself.

"He (Lijnders) caused crooked toes by constantly talking about 'Jürgen and I'. He only talked about the great cooperation, the openness of their relationship and the trust that had developed from that. An ostentatious attempt to take credit for itself or at least take some of the credit for Liverpool's performance.

“He experiences the pressure of being the head coach of Liverpool every day. The assistant is not under pressure. For him, it's easy to dance on the table and be part of a successful group without being held accountable for its success.

“Lijnders can sometimes rub that under his nose. It should be noted that Klopp and Lijnders are not, as Lijnders pretended, the ones who have put Liverpool on the map. Before their arrival in 2015, this great glorious and successful English club had already won numerous awards nationally and internationally Liverpool had already been the best in Europe four times."[/article]

Haha, I quite like that. Well said, except it was 5.

So maybe instead of firing Klopp, the easier route would be to send Lijnders on a permanent book leave and bring back Prof. Severus Snape.

Last edited:
I would actually love to read a book from "The Brain" Zeljko Buvac. 17 years with Klopp - that'll be a series compared to Lijnders'.

Dated Mar 2022

This guy obviously has some pre-existing beef with Pep Lijnders and, while I agree with some of this, there are a couple of bits that IMO go clearly off the rails.

One: Kloppo himself would be the first to tell this guy, and anyone else who might be tempted to agree with him, that Klopp couldn't do what he does without a quality coaching staff around him. He and others thought highly enough of Lijnders to fetch him back to the club when Buvac left, and that's significant.

Two: for sure LFC has been English and European football royalty for decades, but we had slipped a long way below that level before FSG brought Klopp in. He, Lijnders and others may not have been the first to put Liverpool on the map, but they sure as heck put Liverpool back there.

5 out of 10 - some fair points but too much dross mixed in with them.

This guy obviously has some pre-existing beef with Pep Lijnders and, while I agree with some of this, there are a couple of bits that IMO go clearly off the rails.

One: Kloppo himself would be the first to tell this guy, and anyone else who might be tempted to agree with him, that Klopp couldn't do what he does without a quality coaching staff around him. He and others thought highly enough of Lijnders to fetch him back to the club when Buvac left, and that's significant.

Two: for sure LFC has been English and European football royalty for decades, but we had slipped a long way below that level before FSG brought Klopp in. He, Lijnders and others may not have been the first to put Liverpool on the map, but they sure as heck put Liverpool back there.

5 out of 10 - some fair points but too much dross mixed in with them.

Dutch people arguing through the media is a thing of beauty - they are often direct to the point of meanness and get wound up easily… Applies to Germans to an extent too.

Interesting. Reminiscent of the way their international squads have been a byword for squabbles too. Might they have won more over the years without all that?

Pep Lijnders (on his Book 'Intensity'):
"No regrets about my book. For me, the moment it was published, it was done. There was a new season and new problems. I hope people enjoyed it. When you write something, there'll be people who like it and those who don't!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom