• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is Nunez a bit ..... Stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should doing that as a matter of course anyway. Pay X million for a player and not get him the best language teachers?
We should in theory of course. But when you looked at players past, the Coutinho, Bobby and Moreno, it paints a different picture.

I'm sure he will get there. To be fair, I imagine he is stupid. Most footballers are stupid and some are even more so than others. This is the only real issue with him being stupid, and it will no doubt get sorted at some point.

Apparently the evidence says otherwise. There's research that suggests that IQ is very important in football, and we're talking about the best players in like 100k people or so (maybe fewer?).

Obviously there are many other factors, and most of them are even more important than intelligence, but you'd still expect at the very top of the sport that it'd be tough for anyone seriously deficient in an important trait to be able to prevail.

What evidence is there for that statement about top level footballers? Not doubting it - genuine question.

There was some report done by academics in Sweden. It was on second division footballers there. They found a high average IQ and that IQ correlated with performance quite tightly even among that high IQ cohort.

I'll try to find it.

That's interesting. Obviously it's always been fairly accepted that footballers are not very intelligent. Perhaps it's more that they have often not been as well educated in the traditional sense.

That's interesting. Obviously it's always been fairly accepted that footballers are not very intelligent. Perhaps it's more that they have often not been as well educated in the traditional sense.
Don't a lot of them (at top level anyway) end up dropping out well before they even finish their exams?

Being out of touch with how normal people live, not being good at expressing yourself, and doing things that cause yourself harm, can give the impression that you are thick. Of course there's more to intelligence than that. Loads of very smart people live in their own bubble, struggle to communicate, and engage in self destructive behaviour. I think part of the reason we like to think of footballers as thick is to protect our own egos.

Don't a lot of them (at top level anyway) end up dropping out well before they even finish their exams?

Most clubs push the kids to do well academically, and in some cases it can have a detrimental effect on their chances to stay at a club if they don't. My mates lad plays for Wrexham and has previously been at Crewe, I've got other mates who's lads play for Blackpool and Tranmere, and they all push the kids to do well in their exams.

Being out of touch with how normal people live, not being good at expressing yourself, and doing things that cause yourself harm, can give the impression that you are thick. Of course there's more to intelligence than that. Loads of very smart people live in their own bubble, struggle to communicate, and engage in self destructive behaviour. I think part of the reason we like to think of footballers as thick is to protect our own egos.

You are just describing a young person.

I think it's more to do with the fact that if for example Jack Grealish wasn't good at footy, I wouldn't ever hear the kind of shit that comes out of his mouth, as I don't hang round with anyone that stupid and most people who did well enough at whatever they do to get on TV needed to know a thing or two about something.

If the likes of Jack Grealish wasnt good at footy then he'd be the one you see on Love Island asking if Liverpool is a country or a county.

Japanese is a tough one to learn I think!
But if you can learn the words, you just have to speak like Yoda and you’ve got the word ordering to perfection.
The thing with Japanese is there is no inntonation and it's a phonic based language. Ka, Ki, Ku, Ke, Ko etc - That makes pronunciation a million times easier. Try learning Mandorin or Arabic! Japanese grammer is tricky but once you've got a grip on the 'particles' - Wa, Go, Te, Jin etc it's fairly straight forward to hold a fairly coherant conversersation with a Japanese person (after 200+ hours of vocab retention and practice of course) :)

Last edited:
It was an act with McAteer all along. Someone gave him a lazy rep in his early days and he enjoyed playing up to it. Listen to the guy give an interview.
Maybe it was an act, but if you spent a whole day with his family in a minibus on the way down to & back from the 96 FA cup final, you would be convinced that, if genes had anything to do with it, he was a sandwich, pork pie, bottle of pop and a bag of crisps short of a picnic

I’d say closer to 80%. That’s because the Brits are lazy bastards and struggle with their own.

Half the people on this thread probably can’t speak a second language.

raises hand, i can cobble together enough broken French to order a McDonald’s

I was actually thinking it the other day before this thread even started. A load of you guys have really impressive English, we come out with the biggest load of shite and guys like @Modo @Hansern etc handle it without a second thought. I bet there’s loads more posters who I’m not even aware aren’t native English speakers.

Maybe it was an act, but if you spent a whole day with his family in a minibus on the way down to & back from the 96 FA cup final, you would be convinced that, if genes had anything to do with it, he was a sandwich, pork pie, bottle of pop and a bag of crisps short of a picnic
:D

I was actually thinking it the other day before this thread even started. A load of you guys have really impressive English, we come out with the biggest load of shite and guys like @Modo @Hansern etc handle it without a second thought. I bet there’s loads more posters who I’m not even aware aren’t native English speakers.
I just wanted to offer this if anyone wanted to learn a second language and thought they were somehow 'not wired to learn a language' . You kind of need a cocktail of the below criteria to do it.

1) Confidence
2) Desire
3) Immersion (as in living in the country)
4) A decent teacher - Even this isn't massively important - Rosetta Stone and Dulingo etc are excellent alternatives.
5) A realsitc commitment to study regularly (daily preferably) based on how much time you have.

If you can tick about 2-3 of those boxes you are set. If you can tick all - You'll learn it well in a surprisingly short amout of time.

For me - I just wanted to get by in a country while travelling. I'm pretty good at Japanese and French. Ok at Spanish and German. Oh and can sing Happy Birthday in Welsh :D

Dreamy?

Haha. Duly noted. Maybe whoever it was who first branded him a doombrain had also met his folks and made certain assumptions based on that.

As predictable as the sun rising.

I was a straight A student with languages in secondary school but preferred maths.

It’s also not even in the same ball park to learn a language as an adult compared to a toddler. The human brain is at its most powerful from 2-5 for learning survival techniques such as language.

Drops off significantly after.

Side not but relevant, the ‘thickest’ footballer I’ve played with was a surgeon so high IQ doesn’t always translate to intelligent behaviour.

Often referred to as book smart not street smart.

As predictable as the sun rising.

I was a straight A student with languages in secondary school but preferred maths.

It’s also not even in the same ball park to learn a language as an adult compared to a toddler. The human brain is at its most powerful from 2-5 for learning survival techniques such as language.

Drops off significantly after.

Side not but relevant, the ‘thickest’ footballer (?) I’ve played with was a surgeon so high IQ doesn’t always translate to intelligent behaviour.

Often referred to as book smart not street smart.
Hey man - 'Tis sweet and commendable in your nature' to offer such insights - Seriously though? That is not the point of what I believe most of us are talking about.

"As predictable as the sun rising." Indeed.

I love it that you were a 'straight A student' though. Maths as well. Cool. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom