• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is Nunez a bit ..... Stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true that children are better at learning languages. It's also because they have no choice, they aren't deciding to learn and nor can they avoid learning.

An adult can learn a language faster than a 2 to 5 year old, but not in the same way. I can speak far better Spanish than my six year old but everything he says he says perfectly and while I struggle to move between one language and another for him they are all the same. His ability to translate is unreal.

Honestly, the people who talk about how hard it is to learn a language later in life, or about how they are bad at a language are just not putting the time in. That's what you say to excuse it. I know because that's what I said, for a decade. Every new years resolution would come and go. I'd do a bit of duo lingo hardcore for a month and then give up.

Last edited:
It's true that children are better at learning languages. It's also because they have no choice, they aren't deciding to learn and nor can they avoid learning.

An adult can learn a language faster than a 2 to 5 year old, but not in the same way. I can speak far better Spanish than my six year old but everything he says he says perfectly and while I struggle to move between one language and another for him they are all the same. His ability to translate is unreal.

Honestly, the people who talk about how hard it is to learn a language later in life, or about how they are bad at a language are just not putting the time in. That's what you say to excuse it. I know because that's what I said, for a decade. Every new years resolution would come and go. I'd do a bit of duo lingo hardcore for a month and then give up.
Of course with enough effort almost everyone can get there but it’s a scale and an aptitude for auditory learning and processing can be extremely low in some people.

As predictable as the sun rising.

I was a straight A student with languages in secondary school but preferred maths.

It’s also not even in the same ball park to learn a language as an adult compared to a toddler. The human brain is at its most powerful from 2-5 for learning survival techniques such as language.

Drops off significantly after.

Side not but relevant, the ‘thickest’ footballer I’ve played with was a surgeon so high IQ doesn’t always translate to intelligent behaviour.

Often referred to as book smart not street smart.

Sorry, Pat, couldn't resist.

It is mostly true that learning languages is easier as a kid, but some - maybe not many, but I don't know to what extent it's ever been tested - retain the knack more or less throughout their lives. I know whereof I speak, having met a number of them in my time, having a BA and an MA in French and German myself and still finding it natural to pick up useful words and phrases in various other languages in my late 60s.

There's a joke about DB and the Darwin awards in here somewhere. I leave it to someone better than me to craft it.

What was Suarez’s English like?
Don’t remember too many interviews with him in English but he was plain stupid though. Not saying there is a corelation here…

Suarez could behave like a total fruitloop but I'd be more careful than that about branding him "plain stupid". His English was adequate rather than fully fluent, but it was up to the job. He occasionally wore the armband with us and it's also worth remembering that he was skipper of Ajax before, so would have had to learn enough Dutch for that job too.

Nah his English was excellent actually. He's a perfect example of learning the fundamentals. He couldn't speak any English when he arrived. Six months later he was giving post match interviews on MOTD. I was impressed. As @Judge Jules pointed out - He learnt a fair bit of Dutch too. This reminds of that funny Ronaldo clip when Neville attempts to translate. It's so funny I feel I should post it. It's worth pointing out though I'm in no way mocking Ronaldo. By the time he left Utd he was practically fluent. Neville though :D

Suarez could behave like a total fruitloop but I'd be more careful than that about branding him "plain stupid". His English was adequate rather than fully fluent, but it was up to the job. He occasionally wore the armband with us and it's also worth remembering that he was skipper of Ajax before, so would have had to learn enough Dutch for that job too.
You think?

Me attempting to speak Dutch to an ex NL gf : she laughs, replies in fluent English (as per all Dutch youngsters) "let's stick to English"!

You think?

Me attempting to speak Dutch to an ex NL gf : she laughs, replies in fluent English (as per all Dutch youngsters) "let's stick to English"!

Arf. But yes, I do think so. I've heard him speak Dutch in at least one video, besides which I doubt he'd have spoken much English before he came here.

Either way, I think Darwin is about to have a splendid season.
I fucking hope so - He has it in him to be ace. I've not seen it yet though properly. Too many brain farts in front of goal. He just needs to chill out when he's in the scoring zone. He should do Yoga.....

In the latest clip involving Salah and Robbo in Singapore, it seems Nunez still can't speak English and is cutting a lonely figure. He was just sort of hanging around Curtis and Trent of all people for fuck's sakes.

Sorry, Pat, couldn't resist.

It is mostly true that learning languages is easier as a kid, but some - maybe not many, but I don't know to what extent it's ever been tested - retain the knack more or less throughout their lives. I know whereof I speak, having met a number of them in my time, having a BA and an MA in French and German myself and still finding it natural to pick up useful words and phrases in various other languages in my late 60s.
You clearly have an incredible ability to continue to learn languages easily into old age but the elasticity of the brain in toddlers (2-5) absolutely is not retained.

In the latest clip involving Salah and Robbo in Singapore, it seems Nunez still can't speak English and is cutting a lonely figure. He was just sort of hanging around Curtis and Trent of all people for fuck's sakes.
What’s wrong with our local lads? One of whom is our VC?

Was this really worth the bump? Nothing to do with how flying he’s been pre-season but again bringing up the language issue, as if he was gonna start speaking fluent in the scouse accent only 2 minutes after everyone shat their pants making a big who ha over it in the first place.

Why are people still shitting on Nunez? For some people it just takes longer... We have players who speak Spanish and Portuguese so if they need to explain anything in detail they can.
Bellingham was in Germany for two years, didn't see him do one interview in German.
Nunez is top scorer and Salah top assists.
Nunez will score 20+ league goals this season

Why are people still shitting on Nunez? For some people it just takes longer... We have players who speak Spanish and Portuguese so if they need to explain anything in detail they can.
Bellingham was in Germany for two years, didn't see him do one interview in German.
Nunez is top scorer and Salah top assists.
Nunez will score 20+ league goals this season
I'm not trying to excuse why Bellingham didn't learn German but I think it's partly because Germans usually speak English nowadays and also he never planned to stay in the country.

But like I said before, some just have a hard time learning languages. It makes it even more difficult if you're not interested.
I used Luis Garcia as an example before. He was doing interviews in English after like 6 months.
Also it's a class thing as well, white Brazilians like Lucas, Aurelio, Alisson had some understanding of the English language before they landed in England because they learned in school.

Unrelated but I remember when I travelled to Portugal I was surprised that they all spoke English especially the younger generation. Told a girl in the hotel staff about it and added that I've heard C. Ronaldo trying to speak English and she said that he was a special case because he's from the islands.

I'm not trying to excuse why Bellingham didn't learn German but I think it's partly because Germans usually speak English nowadays and also he never planned to stay in the country.

But like I said before, some just have a hard time learning languages. It makes it even more difficult if you're not interested.
I used Luis Garcia as an example before. He was doing interviews in English after like 6 months.
Also it's a class thing as well, white Brazilians like Lucas, Aurelio, Alisson had some understanding of the English language before they landed in England because they learned in school.

Unrelated but I remember when I travelled to Portugal I was surprised that they all spoke English especially the younger generation. Told a girl in the hotel staff about it and added that I've heard C. Ronaldo trying to speak English and she said that he was a special case because he's from the islands.
For some people it will take longer (to learn a language), but what is not a surprise to me, or the others who said, "Nunez is a good signing and will take a season to adjust", is his preseason performance.
I get that it might longer to explain to Nunez things because he might need a translator, isn't that the same with Diaz too? And Klopp might not like that as it disrupts momentum... Since he is banging goals in and his partnership with Salah is yielding results, I really can't see any reason to complain.

For some people it will take longer (to learn a language), but what is not a surprise to me, or the others who said, "Nunez is a good signing and will take a season to adjust", is his preseason performance.
I get that it might longer to explain to Nunez things because he might need a translator, isn't that the same with Diaz too? And Klopp might not like that as it disrupts momentum... Since he is banging goals in and his partnership with Salah is yielding results, I really can't see any reason to complain.
I think in Klopp's case language is important, it was the same with Rafa. It's about cohesion which seems to be fundamental for Klopp. Remember that United team with Valencia, Rojo, Falcao and Di Maria?
One of the reasons it didn't work out was because the squad was split into groups and the Spanish speaking players couldn't communicate properly with the rest.

Was this really worth the bump? Nothing to do with how flying he’s been pre-season but again bringing up the language issue, as if he was gonna start speaking fluent in the scouse accent only 2 minutes after everyone shat their pants making a big who ha over it in the first place.
It's just kind of sad that after a full year in England, Robbo still needed to use some hand gestures when communicating with him.

It just doesn't make sense that nobody in the club asked him to learn some English.

If he is totally on the same wavelength as the rest of the squad on the pitch, it can be excused. But he's not. He's hit and miss even in pre-season.

This was said in jest right? Its been pretty clear all through pre season that he has been working on his English. Talking to Klopp and several of the players only in English.

Those are amazing conclusions (can't speak English and 'lonely'), even if you added the 'seems' modifier, from a few seconds 'clip' on the internet. SCM continues to amaze me in the conclusions drawn from the most spurious of sources!

To be clear his English may not be at the required level yet but i wouldn't base an opinion on a clip.

It's just kind of sad that after a full year in England, Robbo still needed to use some hand gestures when communicating with him.

It just doesn't make sense that nobody in the club asked him to learn some English.

If he is totally on the same wavelength as the rest of the squad on the pitch, it can be excused. But he's not. He's hit and miss even in pre-season.
A bit harsh on Robbo there.
Strictly speaking it is in fact English that he speaks.

You clearly have an incredible ability to continue to learn languages easily into old age but the elasticity of the brain in toddlers (2-5) absolutely is not retained.

As a general rule I'm sure that's true, but there might just be an exception in some people where language learning is concerned. In my working life I often spoke to and exchanged views/info.with educational psychologists. One of them had a theory (she admitted that's all it was, at that time anyway) that those who retain a knack for languages - her own first degree had been in French and Italian, so she was in a position to know - maybe don't, for whatever reason, experience the drop-off in that area that the majority of people experience at age 5. Interesting possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom