• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

James Milner - Legend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been instrumental in us winning our first league title in 30 years and he's played in every position, sat on the the bench, never moaned, worn the armband and been a perfect role model to the kids

Of course he's a legend.

Exackerley.

He's defo an all-round legend. Will be playing for someone in the championship when he's 40 no doubt.

Man loves to run

Is there an equivalent in successful team of the past?

Where would he sit in the 100 players that shock the kop list?

I love Milner but I would reserve legend for very few.
Gerrard
Kenny
Souness
Hansen
Callaghan
Rush
Barnes
Kennedy

I just can’t justify adding a player who arguably wasn’t in the top 5/6 players over his time here.

I’d have Henderson, Salah, Mane, Allison and VVD over him atm with TAA the standout candidate for the future.
Having said all that I love Milner. He’s everything you want in a senior pro at the club. If the Spice boys had his attitude we’d have ended the wait after 6:7 years.

I don't think you can define what a legend is. Gary Mac was only here five minutes and won fuck all. He's still a legend in my book. I know people won't agree but there's no real standard, it's just someone who gets it and is strongly loved.
I take it you either don't care or have forgotten about the 3 trophies he helped us win in 2001?

Last edited:
To call someone a legend seems to me something that is an impossible waste of time to which to try to apply a criteria. By it's very nature it is something of an honorary title, isn't it?

I agree with Woland in that I would without a doubt consider Gary McAllister a Liverpool legend. I would also, without hesitation, say that Robbie Fowler is a Liverpool legend. It's not merely about what players win or whether they were the star players in the team. It's more just about what the fans thought of them.

I mean, Phil Neal won 4 European Cups, scored in 2 finals and pretty much didn't miss a game in the 10 years when we were at our best. Yet he is rarely ever called a legend, and the less good but far more likeable Alan Kennedy tends to have a better reputation with fans.

Milner is without a doubt a Liverpool legend as far as I am concerned.

To call someone a legend seems to me something that is an impossible waste of time to which to try to apply a criteria. By it's very nature it is something of an honorary title, isn't it?

I agree with Woland in that I would without a doubt consider Gary McAllister a Liverpool legend. I would also, without hesitation, say that Robbie Fowler is a Liverpool legend. It's not merely about what players win or whether they were the star players in the team. It's more just about what the fans thought of them.

I mean, Phil Neal won 4 European Cups, scored in 2 finals and pretty much didn't miss a game in the 10 years when we were at our best. Yet he is rarely ever called a legend, and the less good but far more likeable Alan Kennedy tends to have a better reputation with fans.

Milner is without a doubt a Liverpool legend as far as I am concerned.

I heard that Phil Neal was a bit of a cunt any truth to that?

Don’t know mate. I heard that too though. But this is my point to a degree I guess. If you were measuring whether someone is a legend based on achievements and contributions then surely Neal would be included in any list. If the reason that he doesn’t tend to be is that he is a also a bit of a cunt then that would suggest that deciding who is a legend and who is not really isn’t something that can be measured like that.

Don’t know mate. I heard that too though. But this is my point to a degree I guess. If you were measuring whether someone is a legend based on achievements and contributions then surely Neal would be included in any list. If the reason that he doesn’t tend to be is that he is a also a bit of a cunt then that would suggest that deciding who is a legend and who is not really isn’t something that can be measured like that.
Oh OK, but he is a legend though even if he is/was a cunt. Maybe he won't show up in many "best XI" teams but you can't take away his achievements at LFC.
One LFC legend was an outspoken racist, but even that doesn't take away his legend status.

Am I right in thinking that @peterhague went berserk at the transfer and said that it was a complete waste of money despite him being on a free

Yeah, I believe his argument was it wasn't a 'free' due to the increased wages and in, in fairness, it was at a time we didn't have a pot to piss in. Milner has more than proven his worth time and time again, which I think Peter accepted years ago.

Personally I wanted Milner from both Newcastle and Villa and was delighted when we finally landed him. He's an absolute machine that I expect still has a few more years in the tank. There's always a clamour for aging club favourites to join the coaching staff, and it rarely happens, but I can see it in Milners case. He seems at home here, Klopp adores him, and you would think he would be a welcome asset to any conditioning/fitness department. He started some coaching badges at Villa, but I've no idea where he's up to since then.

He was nice enough when he was hosting this match day + dinner thingy at Anfield I went to years ago. Obviously he was paid to be there, but you tend to be able to tell the real cunts even in those situations.
His talk was boring though.

Yeah, I believe his argument was it wasn't a 'free' due to the increased wages and in, in fairness, it was at a time we didn't have a pot to piss in. Milner has more than proven his worth time and time again, which I think Peter accepted years ago.

Personally I wanted Milner from both Newcastle and Villa and was delighted when we finally landed him. He's an absolute machine that I expect still has a few more years in the tank. There's always a clamour for aging club favourites to join the coaching staff, and it rarely happens, but I can see it in Milners case. He seems at home here, Klopp adores him, and you would think he would be a welcome asset to any conditioning/fitness department. He started some coaching badges at Villa, but I've no idea where he's up to since then.
Even more so if Klopp leaves as per his schedule.

Oh OK, but he is a legend though even if he is/was a cunt. Maybe he won't show up in many "best XI" teams but you can't take away his achievements at LFC.
One LFC legend was an outspoken racist, but even that doesn't take away his legend status.

I think it does. A legend, for me, isn't the players that necessarily win the most(that definitely helps), but the people that helped you love the club more. That can be a couple of great goals in big matches, or just giving more than average players, or just being a great guy(Kenny would be a legend even if he didn't win so much).

Why did I think he went to Villa after City. That's odd.

I distinctly remember him coming on in the 2nd half of that 3-2 City game in 2014, and him and Silva gave were all over us for 45 minutes.

Milner is a player who I'll proudly recollect as 'he played for us' much in the same way we talk about Souness or Keegan.

However, he's not one where you'd stand back and retell others of his genius.. just that he was dependable.

I mean will we really talk about that performance versus Palace in 10 years time? Probably not.

Legend? Sure.. just not in that top tier.

Milner is a player who I'll proudly recollect as 'he played for us' much in the same way we talk about Souness or Keegan.

However, he's not one where you'd stand back and retell others of his genius.. just that he was dependable.

I mean will we really talk about that performance versus Palace in 10 years time? Probably not.

Legend? Sure.. just not in that top tier.

The goal line clearance against Bournemouth is a memory that sticks with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom