• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

James Milner - Legend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you apply the sort of logic that says the likes of Gerrard, Kenny and Souness are legends and that's the standard. Then it's a no, as he's not been anything like as instrumental for us. And there's no real argument against that. If you lean towards the idea that anybody who wins a trophy and seems like a decent person is a club legend then I guess he probably is.

What's surprising is how many people class Milner as a legend, that didn't for Wjinaldum. Wjinaldum was a far bigger part of our success under Klopp than Milner has been.

Milner is 10x the leader that Gini was and I like Gini.

He was also the one that had to convince Hendo that he was a leader and to lift the European Cup alone. And, I think Hendo was a better leader the following year and truly led us to the championship.

Legend or not, he will never be replicated. Isn’t that a legend?

Milner is 10x the leader that Gini was and I like Gini.

He was also the one that had to convince Hendo that he was a leader and to lift the European Cup alone. And, I think Hendo was a better leader the following year and truly led us to the championship.

Legend or not, he will never be replicated. Isn’t that a legend?

Exactly this. Yes, other players might have played more minutes or had more defined playing roles. But Milner is someone who stamps his personality all over this team whether he's playing or not. Hendo will rightly be remembered as one of our great captains ever when he retires, but he looks up to Milner, as does everyone else in the squad. Even Klopp, you feel, treats him on almost equal terms – I'm sure if Milly ever has any concern or a tactical suggestion, Klopp will give him full attention. I don't think we will know the full extent of his influence until years later and books are written, but I think we'll learn that it's greater than we had realized.

Last edited:
As for us missing out on the best period of his playing career – yes, he was a very good player in his 20's and I kind of wanted us to sign him then, but I think as a full package – leadership + playing ability, he's actually had the best years of his career here. As talented and versatile as he was in his 20's, he would not be in a conversation for a Liverpool great based on playing ability alone, even at his physical peak. That said, the all-time CL single-season assist record is an incredible achievement for a player and he did it in the LFC shirt.

One more thing I just remembered while writing this – do you remember 2017-18 season and what happened after we sold Coutinho? Everyone expected a drop in performance or at least a profound drop in creativity after one of our most talented players left and wasn't replaced like-for-like. Instead, the team jelled like never before and became objectively stronger, more balanced and more consistent – and who was the player stepping into the void and successfully replacing the £142 million man? Why, it's the 32-year-old "journeyman" (as he was sometimes referred to back then) James Milner, brought in for the whole of £0 and probably not even a bag of biscuits. That change – Milner for Coutinho – was when the playing model of Klopp's Liverpool truly solidified and came into its own, leading to 2+ years of unprecedented success. Now that I think about it, I think that was not a coincidence.

Last edited:
Please allow me to join the chorus of praise for one of the most outstanding professionals of the Premier League (or any other) era. It was said that Citeh offered him more to stay with them than we did to sign for us and, if that's right, the fact that he preferred to come here is a measure of the man.

James Milner YNWA.

As for us missing out on the best period of his playing career – yes, he was a very good player in his 20's and I kind of wanted us to sign him then, but I think as a full package – leadership + playing ability, he's actually had the best years of his career here. As talented and versatile as he was in his 20's, he would not be in a conversation for a Liverpool great based on playing ability alone, even at his physical peak. That said, the all-time CL single-season assist record is an incredible achievement for a player and he did it in the LFC shirt.

One more thing I just remembered while writing this – do you remember 2017-18 season and what happened after we sold Coutinho? Everyone expected a drop in performance or at least a profound drop in creativity after one of our most talented players left and wasn't replaced like-for-like. Instead, the team jelled like never before and became objectively stronger, more balanced and more consistent – and who was the player stepping into the void and successfully replacing the £142 million man? Why, it's the 32-year-old "journeyman" (as he was sometimes referred to back then) James Milner, brought in for the whole of £0 and probably not even a bag of biscuits. That change – Milner for Coutinho – was when the playing model of Klopp's Liverpool truly solidified and came into its own, leading to 2+ years of unprecedented success. Now that I think about it, I think that was not a coincidence.
And of course we didn't waste his talents ... unlike City who didn't realise what they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom