• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Just when you thought Newcastle have gotten their act together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snippets from his Sunday Times interview:
I think we can win a trophy in the three years that I am there, but as I said I don’t pick the team and I will only interfere with the training. It is as simple as that but nobody wants to write it.”

Wait, wha…? Poor Pardew.

“Yohan is a brilliant player and I didn’t pronounce his name right. But I didn’t say ‘Kebab’. I said Keba and they put the ‘b’ on to it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA !

Quick, Joe, run....RUN TO EQUADOOOOOOOR !

Kinnear is set on disproving some of the misconceptions — fuelled partly, he admits, by his own comments — that have built up over the past week. The 66-year-old heads up to the loft of his north London house to find the programmes setting out his record. In another room he produces three mementoes to back up his assertion — widely mocked in the media — that he was named Manager of the Season three times. The League Managers’ Association selected him only once.

“They [the media] are lying. I am right. Come and I will show you the three awards,” Kinnear says, duly producing the LMA Manager of the Season Award 1993-4, the Sky Sports Manager of the Year award 1996 and a riband for Manager of the Year as voted for by Daily Mirror readers in 1997. Point proven? Perhaps not, but on such evidence Dublin-born Kinnear bases his scrap for acceptance.

Getting down to more immediate events, the Newcastle deal was said to have been agreed over a bottle of red with Ashley at the Orange Tree pub/restaurant in Totteridge. “I only ever go into the restaurant there with my wife,” Kinnear says. “Me, Mike and Derek Llambias [the managing director who resigned on Wednesday] had lunch and a glass of wine at the Rising Sun [another London gastropub nearby] last Saturday. Derek has been at all the meetings. Then we went back to Mike’s place to finish the deal off. Derek was telling me he was not sure what his role would be. He said, ‘Welcome aboard’.”

“Yohan is a brilliant player and I didn’t pronounce his name right. But I didn’t say ‘Kebab’. I said Keba and they put the ‘b’ on to it. They made a meal of it, no pun intended. Typical journalists, but it is my own fault and I regret what I said about the supporters.

“The benchmark for success this season would be the top 10 and work from there. We are a top 10 side and I don’t see why we should not have a good go at the FA Cup. I think we can win a trophy in the three years that I am there, but as I said I don’t pick the team and I will only interfere with the training. It is as simple as that but nobody wants to write it.”
I think I have one of those Riband Manager of the month awards too.
Normally season before a worldcup is quiet exciting but with this lot, Mourinho and Moyes, it's going to be fantastic. Might even watch other games on top of LFC games this season, there's a buzz...

Joe Kinnear asked for another chance to appear on talkSPORT following his infamous live interview.

Newcastle’s new director of football was widely ridiculed over the interview last week in which he referred to outgoing managing director Derek Llambias as ‘Derek Llambezi’ and midfielder Yohan Cabaye as ‘Yohan Kebab’.

Kinnear hit back over the weekend, claiming that he had been duped by talkSPORT into thinking he would be reminiscing on air with co-host Bobby Gould about their days at Wimbledon rather than discussing Newcastle with presenter Andy Goldstein.

However, talkSPORT insist that Goldstein, as the main presenter, was always going to be involved and that Kinnear turned down an offer to have the interview pre-recorded.

The station also revealed that the 66-year-old called back the following day asking to go on air again.

TalkSPORT were unable to put him on immediately because of their live coverage of the British Lions, but offered Kinnear the chance to appear on the drivetime show later in the day. He agreed but did not call back.

‘TalkSPORT offered Joe Kinnear the opportunity to come on the following day – in fact he contacted us,’ said a spokesperson today.

06/23/2013

ME AND MY CHEESE: JOE KINNEAR

Every week we ask a celebrity to share his or her opinions on the great wide world of cheese. This week, controversial British soccer manager Joe Kinnear!

Q. Hi Joe. What's your favorite cheese?

A. That would have to be good old British Cheddar.

Q. And what's your least favorite?

A. When I was on a pre-season tour of Norway with Wimbledon - this was yonks ago - they served up this stuff called Boornuts. It was disgusting.

Q. We've never heard of Boornuts. Could it have been Bondost?
A. What's it got in it?
Q. Goat's milk, cumin, sometimes caraway seeds.
A. That sounds like the one. Terrible taste and stuff stuck in me teeth. Horrible.
Q. Are you sure that was in Norway? It's actually a Swedish cheese.
A. Oh for God's sake, they're all the bloody same. The cheese was awful. End of!

Q. Okay, Joe. Can you tell us what you like to eat your cheese with?
A. My hands, a fork, a cocktail stick - couldn't care less.
Q. No, no, we mean with another food.
A. What are you going on about? If I eat cheese, it's cheese!
Q. Sorry, no, we're obviously not being clear enough.
A. You can say that again!
Q. We mean: when you eat cheese, is there another kind of food that you like to mix it with?
A. Oh yeah. Pizza.
Q. Are we still talking about Cheddar?
A. What the HELL are you on about? Is this a wind up?
Q. No, really, we just-
A. Do you know what? I've really had enough. Goodbye.

Joe Kinnear is redefining the director of football role

Alyson RuddJune 24 2013 14:06PM

130518761_joke-06-460x306.jpg

The title “director of football” is not, by and large, one that commands huge respect in Britain. It is viewed with a certain mistrust. If they are not standard issue at every club, why do certain club owners feel the need to appoint one? Does having one mean that the owner is too involved, too mistrustful of the manager?

The director of football sounds all-powerful, but he is not quite the manager, not quite a top executive. His presence will be resented, if not by the manager then by someone; the chief scout or the managing director or the fans.

Sometimes he can be a saviour. The appointment of Steve Coppell as director of football at Crawley Town was not widely regarded with distaste. It was a way, perhaps, of attracting a man of calibre when the job offer of manager would not have cut it for him.

So, what’s in it for the DoF, beyond a juicy salary? It is not true that most DoFs are really after the manager’s job. That appeared the strategy of Avram Grant, first at Chelsea, then at Portsmouth, but more typical is someone such as John Rudge, who acted as DoF for five managers at Stoke City and was not regarded as a threat to any.

So, I did wonder if it was possible to blog about DoFs and not mention Joe Kinnear. It was a test I set myself and I failed. Happily failed. What his appointment at Newcastle United has highlighted is that DoFs are the dark pools of satanic literature. You peer in and see what you fear to see.

It would help if Newcastle or Kinnear could intelligently explain why a DoF is needed and what he will do, but the suspicion is that the mirth, confusion, panic and depression prompted by the unexpected return of Kinnear, who produced a 22 per cent win ratio when manager at St James’ Park from 2008 to 2009, might be the point of it all. Is it all a big laugh for Mike Ashley, the club’s owner – a case of I can, so I will?

There is sympathy for Alan Pardew, the manager, but it would have been worse if a former beloved manager with status had been recruited.

At least Pardew does not have to compete with Kinnear for fan loyalty. If this marks the beginning of end of his Newcastle career, it will enable him to leave with relative dignity.

The interviews, the hilarious interviews – saying “Kebab” rather than “Cabaye” on talkSPORT is just one – prevented a cold analysis of Kinnear’s new job.

He has wrecked the post before finding a drawer for his new stapler. It does not matter what a DoF at Newcastle could or should do. Ashley has found a job for a bloke he likes and perhaps trusts, and the only available title was DoF.

Kinnear realised pretty quickly a DoF is supposed to have a decent CV, a sheen of superiority, and that is why he talked up his achievements.

Had he said nothing, he could have become like other DoFs; a shadowy figure seen deep in conversation at restaurants with the owner, blamed for poor buys, ignored when new players perform well.

It would be stretching things to suggest that he could have been someone Pardew would turn to for advice, but like Chauncey Gardiner in Being There, saying very little is often misinterpreted as a sign of deep thinking.

Just imagine if Kinnear had opted to maintain a solid silence and eventually emerge as at the grand old wise man of the game. It can’t happen now, though.

Still, that Manager of the Year award from the Mirror should provide ample compensation.

JOE Kinnear’s claimed his experience puts him “head and shoulders” above any other director of football in English football.

Kinnear was on Tyneside yesterday for the first time since his controversial appointment at Newcastle United.

And top of the agenda was the club’s transfer business, with an improved bid for St Etienne’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang on the agenda.

However, the club face fierce competition for the striker, who is keen to play in the Premier League.

Kinnear, 66, returned to Newcastle last month as the club’s “senior executive in charge of all football-related matters”.

The appointment was widely-criticised on Tyneside – and elsewhere – given that the 66-year-old’s involvement in the game over the past nine years has been limited to a five-month spell in charge of United, which was cut short by a heart attack.

For his part, Kinnear feels the club needed a director of football, a position he feels he is more than qualified to succeed in, despite the misgivings of supporters.

“Every top club in the land has got one,” Kinnear told the Gazette.

“We haven’t – that’s the difference. The manager can’t do everything.

“I’m probably the only football manager to be a director of football.

“I don’t know any other ex-managers who have. I’ve been a manager for 35 years. I’ve been Manager of the Year. I’ve won every award there is in football as a player.

“I think all those qualities put me head and shoulders above every other director of football.”

There has been a trend in English football towards adopting a more continental model behind the scenes, where a senior figure above the manager has overall control over transfers.

Other Premier League clubs, among them Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and West Bromwich Albion, have employed directors of football in recent years.

However, Kinnear feels his experience as a player sets him apart from his counterparts elsewhere in the top flight.

“Some directors of football have never played the game,” added Kinnear.

“I’m lending my experience as a manager for all those years – 10 years at Wimbledon, two years at Nottingham Forest, two years winning promotion at Luton and, of course, almost two years at Newcastle.

“I would still be there had it (a heart attack) not occurred.”

The other directors of football in the Barclays Premier League:
Chelsea: Michael Emanelo
Manchester City: Txiki Begiristain
Tottenham: Franco Baldini
Sunderland: Roberto De Fanti
West Brom: Richard Garlick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom