• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Laudrup anyone? (Tis a long read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Fabio link=topic=43405.msg1243075#msg1243075 date=1294219682]
to get monaco within a point of the league is impressive though.
Personally i don't know who i'd prefer out of the 2. Laudrup seems to have more of an admiration for the club which would be nice to have, but it's hard to take your eyes of deschamps silverware.

DDs for me
[/quote]

1 french league title
2 french league cups
1 french super cup

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243079#msg1243079 date=1294220151]
Personally i don't know who i'd prefer out of the 2. Laudrup seems to have more of an admiration for the club which would be nice to have, but it's hard to take your eyes of deschamps silverware.

DDs for me
[/quote]

1 french league title
2 french league cups
1 french super cup

[/quote]

as i said, it's hard to take your eyes of the silverware

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=43405.msg1243080#msg1243080 date=1294220201]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243079#msg1243079 date=1294220151]

DDs for me
[/quote]

1 french league title
2 french league cups
1 french super cup

[/quote]

[/quote]

as I said I personally would go for someone who is going to get more out of limited resources.
this is what roy was supposed to do.

from wiki

At the start of his reign, Laudrup proclaimed a tactical scheme close to that which Olsen and he had coached at the national team. Laudrup renovated the Brøndby team by letting a large contingent of older and experienced players go, in favour of several new offensive players, and he gave the chance to young talents from the club's youth scheme. To ensure the defensive strength of the team, he hired the proven national team player Morten Wieghorst. In his first year as head coach, he managed the team to a Danish Cup win against OB in the final. After finishing runners up twice, he finally led the team to The Double in 2005.

I think this is exactly what we need.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243083#msg1243083 date=1294220545]

DDs for me
[/quote]

1 french league title
2 french league cups
1 french super cup

[/quote]

[/quote]

as I said I personally would go for someone who is going to get more out of limited resources.

from wiki

At the start of his reign, Laudrup proclaimed a tactical scheme close to that which Olsen and he had coached at the national team. Laudrup renovated the Brøndby team by letting a large contingent of older and experienced players go, in favour of several new offensive players, and he gave the chance to young talents from the club's youth scheme. To ensure the defensive strength of the team, he hired the proven national team player Morten Wieghorst. In his first year as head coach, he managed the team to a Danish Cup win against OB in the final. After finishing runners up twice, he finally led the team to The Double in 2005.

[/quote]

the young talents i don't think would work well here as we have about 4 players at youth/reserve level who look good but it might be too soon in their development to drop them in. I agree with letting older players go but thats obvious to any manager for us and there would be a cull regardless. Several new offensive players....again....exceptionally obvious to anyone who watches us or even takes a passing glance in our direction. The reasons for laudrup are just problems with our club. Massive gaping problems which even roy has put his finger on.

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=43405.msg1243085#msg1243085 date=1294220749]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243083#msg1243083 date=1294220545]

DDs for me
[/quote]

1 french league title
2 french league cups
1 french super cup

[/quote]

[/quote]

from wiki

[/quote]

the young talents i don't think would work well here as we have about 4 players at youth/reserve level who look good but it might be too soon in their development to drop them in. I agree with letting older players go but thats obvious to any manager for us and there would be a cull regardless. Several new offensive players....again....exceptionally obvious to anyone who watches us or even takes a passing glance in our direction. The reasons for laudrup are just problems with our club. Massive gaping problems which even roy has put his finger on.
[/quote]

I don't have a problem with deschamps to be honest. any of the following is fine with me;

1. boas
2. flores
3. laudrup
4. deschamps
5. rijkaard

DDs for me
[/quote]

1 french league title
2 french league cups
1 french super cup

[/quote]

[/quote]

from wiki

[/quote]

[/quote]
Both agree and disagree there Fabio. Players like Suso and Pacheco in particularly would come very close to the starting line-up pretty fast with Laudrup at the helm. Techincally-gifted, accomplished passers and talented players. It's all about how you address the game really and why I agree they'd look completely out of their depth in Roys away tactics against Blackburn another manager would make them fit in. Wenger for instance has no qualms over playing very young and tiny players at an early age even in the Premiership.

Apart from those two however there isn't many obvious candidates to pick from perhaps although a player like Shelvey could be another good shout for a more important role already.

A mate of mine said last night that Suso could become the best player in the world under Laudrups influence, if he's even half as good as he looks to be already that is. Perhaps a bit steep but still I can see where he's coming from.

[quote author=KHL link=topic=43405.msg1243089#msg1243089 date=1294221342]

DDs for me
[/quote]

1 french league title
2 french league cups
1 french super cup

[/quote]

[/quote]

from wiki

[/quote]

[/quote]
Both agree and disagree there Fabio. Players like Suso and Pacheco in particularly would come very close to the starting line-up pretty fast with Laudrup at the helm. Techincally-gifted, accomplished passers and talented players. It's all about how you address the game really and why I agree they'd look completely out of their depth in Roys away tactics against Blackburn another manager would make them fit in. Wenger for instance has no qualms over playing very young and tiny players at an early age even in the Premiership.

Apart from those two however there isn't many obvious candidates to pick from perhaps although a player like Shelvey could be another good shout for a more important role already.

A mate of mine said last night that Suso could become the best player in the world under Laudrups influence, if he's even half as good as he looks to be already that is. Perhaps a bit steep but still I can see where he's coming from.
[/quote]

if laudrup (or anyone else) is able to tap into the excellent youth rafa has bought then youth can pad out the squad leaving more money to spend on quality players.

the same could be said about rijkaard at barcalona
Rijkaard was not out of a coaching role for long, and less than a year after leaving Sparta Rotterdam, he was appointed manager of Barcelona for the 2003–04 season. The season would prove to be a watershed for the club, but not without initial instability. Rijkaard arrived at the club as it entered a new phase, having elected a new President in Joan Laporta and a new managerial board, but with fans unhappy that Laporta had let English midfielder David Beckham snub the chance to join the club. For Rijkaard, the team he inherited, with the exception of new superstar signing Ronaldinho (who was the club's second choice after Beckham), also consisted of many underachieving players from the old guard and era that failed to meet the club and its fans' demands to match arch rival Real Madrid's success in the early 2000s, having not won a trophy since 1999.

Rijkaard had a disappointing start at Barcelona that saw some sections of the club's fans call for his resignation, and he drew flak from the media when the team lost to Real Madrid in December 2003.[4] Rijkaard's resilience won through and from 2004 onwards, he achieved a massive turnaround, as the team went from strength to strength. Barcelona finished runners-up in La Liga in 2003–04, having been close to the relegation zone at one point in the earlier stages of the season. Rijkaard then took Barcelona to the next level as he phased out the old guard and rebuilt a new-look side around Ronaldinho, with new players like Deco, Samuel Eto'o, Rafael Márquez and Ludovic Giuly, along with the latest promotion of some young players from the previous era trained in the club's youth teams (i.e. Víctor Valdés, Carles Puyol, Xavi and Andrés Iniesta). He eventually succeeded in turning around the fortunes of the club, with the strong support of Laporta, and within the next couple of years finally managed to win La Liga both in 2004–05 and in 2005–06.

a) a strong character to phase out the old players
b) ability to add talent to maximise the potential of the team
b) the ability to identify and bring through youth

using an example, I would say our strongest current team is;

-------------------pepe---------------------
johnson------carra------agger------aurelio
kuyt------lucas-----meireles--------maxi
-----------------gerrard-------------------
-------------------torres-------------------

you would phase out older players like kuyt, maxi and aurelio and replace them with younger players that better suit your system. in all likelihood these new player wages will reduce the wage bill. if you are phasing out the likes of carra then your bench becomes stronger as you have experience there. if any of the youth are ready then that will also reduce the wage bill, leaving more money for transfer fees.

all of that would take at least two summer transfer windows so you would need someone with the ability to punch above their weight whilst the team is in a transitional period.

I'm all for a manager with a good track record of bring through young players and incorporating them into his plan but it won't be top of my priority. I'm not sure if we have the right/ideal youth system at this point in time for the manager to work on. Of cos, I'm not expecting the new man to work wonders but it could well be a very long time before we reap the relevant benefits from that direction.

I may be wrong but I believe Brondby and Barca's youth system are pretty much top-notch in their respective domestic league. Besides, the competing envrionment plays a part too. For instance, Brondby were the champions the season before Laudrup took over. There was a foundation of some sorts to work or build on - ala stand still or work towards a bigger, brighter future. Real was dominating the transfer market at that point in time and the 3 main options were to fight fire with fire (i.e. splash/burn as much cash), go for shrewd signings or make use of their exisiting strength, i.e. youth academy which was neglected during previous regimes, esp with influx of Dutch players. I'm not undermining Laudrup's achievement and good work but it is worth noting that in his 3-4 seasons stint, Brondby won the league only once, with FC Copenhagen being Champions on other occasions.

Obviously, the people at the club are working towards improving the academy and youth system but that has to grow simultaneously with the first team. For that reason, my preference would be for someone with first team achievement over willingness/success in youth development.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=43405.msg1243134#msg1243134 date=1294226256]
I'm all for a manager with a good track record of bring through young players and incorporating them into his plan but it won't be top of my priority. I'm not sure if we have the right/ideal youth system at this point in time for the manager to work on. Of cos, I'm not expecting the new man to work wonders but it could well be a very long time before we reap the relevant benefits from that direction.

I may be wrong but I believe Brondby and Barca's youth system are pretty much top-notch in their respective domestic league. Besides, the competing envrionment plays a part too. For instance, Brondby were the champions the season before Laudrup took over. There was a foundation of some sorts to work or build on - ala stand still or work towards a bigger, brighter future. Real was dominating the transfer market at that point in time and the 3 main options were to fight fire with fire (i.e. splash/burn as much cash), go for shrewd signings or make use of their exisiting strength, i.e. youth academy which was neglected during previous regimes, esp with influx of Dutch players. I'm not undermining Laudrup's achievement and good work but it is worth noting that in his 3-4 seasons stint, Brondby won the league only once, with FC Copenhagen being Champions on other occasions.

Obviously, the people at the club are working towards improving the academy and youth system but that has to grow simultaneously with the first team. For that reason, my preference would be for someone with first team achievement over willingness/success in youth development.
[/quote]

all valid points, binny. it depends what the long term plan is. if the long term plan involves the developement and integration of youth they'll want that person in place NOW even if that plan doesn't reach fruition for several years.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243142#msg1243142 date=1294226903]

all valid points, binny. it depends what the long term plan is. if the long term plan involves the developement and integration of youth they'll want that person in place NOW even if that plan doesn't reach fruition for several years.
[/quote]

I'm with you on that, spidey. My main point is, imo, being good with young players doesn't necessarily have to be the new man's "only/no. 1/main" strength. Of cos, it should be "one of" his expertise, but I'm fine with someone who might not necessarily bring through lots of youngsters but know how to spot and groom one and willing to integrate him into his plans.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=43405.msg1243146#msg1243146 date=1294227219]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243142#msg1243142 date=1294226903]

[/quote]

I'm with you on that, spidey. My main point is, imo, being good with young players doesn't necessarily have to be the new man's "only/no. 1/main" strength. Of cos, it should be "one of" his expertise, but I'm fine with someone who might not necessarily bring through lots of youngsters but know how to spot and groom one and willing to integrate him into his plans.
[/quote]

do you have a problem with any of the 5 names I listed?

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243152#msg1243152 date=1294227526]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha, my initial post was in response to Laudrup and Rijkaard. So only those two are scratched off my list. :p I would have Emery ahead of Flores though. :)

[quote author=Binny link=topic=43405.msg1243157#msg1243157 date=1294227802]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243152#msg1243152 date=1294227526]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha, my initial post was in response to Laudrup and Rijkaard. So only those two are scratched off my list. :p I would have Emery ahead of Flores though. :)

[/quote]

post your five then, I'm curious :)

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243159#msg1243159 date=1294228079]

post your five then, I'm curious :)
[/quote]

I don't really have a ranking list. My preference will be Luciano Spalletti. Unai Emery seem like an interesting option too. Obviously they haven't won as much as the likes of Deschamps and Rijkaard or even Flores but the way they build around and work with their squad, maximising resources on hand and the continued progress (both their club's and themselves as managers) and consistency they achieve in domestic league is something that the likes of Rijkaard (after Barca) and Flores (AMadrid's league struggles and inconsistency) hasn't achieve.

[quote author=Whitey85 link=topic=43405.msg1243163#msg1243163 date=1294228313]
I keep seeing Villas Boas mentioned everywhere. What has he done to deserve a job here?
[/quote]

his win ratio with porto is amazing. young, hungry and his teams play with an attacking aggression.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=43405.msg1243186#msg1243186 date=1294229542]

I don't really have a ranking list. My preference will be Luciano Spalletti. [/quote]

wasn't his roma battered 7-1 by manu?

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243191#msg1243191 date=1294229850]

I don't really have a ranking list. My preference will be Luciano Spalletti. [/quote]

[/quote]

Seems like it has tainted his image :p Well, I think its unfair to judge/write him off base on 1 match. His achievements with Udinese and Roma are pretty impressive too. They won the first leg 2-1 and when you have a player like Wilhelmsson in the starting XI and a bench that reads "Curci, Faty, Defendi, Ferrari, Okaka", it really goes to show how "strong" the team is.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=43405.msg1243196#msg1243196 date=1294230360]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243191#msg1243191 date=1294229850]

[/quote]

Seems like it has tainted his image :p Well, I think its unfair to judge/write him off base on 1 match. His achievements with Udinese and Roma are pretty impressive too. They won the first leg 2-1 and when you have a player like Wilhelmsson in the starting XI and a bench that reads "Curci, Faty, Defendi, Ferrari, Okaka", it really goes to show how "strong" the team is.
[/quote]

only messing ;)

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243198#msg1243198 date=1294230457]
only messing ;)
[/quote]

;D And I'm only dreaming. FSG's in for a tough and crucial 2011.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=43405.msg1243196#msg1243196 date=1294230360]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think that might be a misprint. 'Faty, Defendi' should actually read 'Dossena'.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=43405.msg1243202#msg1243202 date=1294230751]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243198#msg1243198 date=1294230457]
only messing ;)
[/quote]

;D And I'm only dreaming. FSG's in for a tough and crucial 2011.
[/quote]

anyone from my list will make me excited anyone else not so much unless it's someone with absolute pedigree like del bosque.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243189#msg1243189 date=1294229694]
I keep seeing Villas Boas mentioned everywhere. What has he done to deserve a job here?
[/quote]

his win ratio with porto is amazing. young, hungry and his teams play with an attacking aggression.
[/quote]

Its a shit league and Porto's biggest rivals sold half their midfield and weakened considerably in the summer.

[quote author=Whitey85 link=topic=43405.msg1243209#msg1243209 date=1294231178]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243189#msg1243189 date=1294229694]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Its a shit league and Porto's biggest rivals sold half their midfield and weakened considerably in the summer.
[/quote]

yes, but the trick is to identify the next josé, the person who looks like if given the right oppertunity will go on to historic things.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243211#msg1243211 date=1294231328]
[quote author=Whitey85 link=topic=43405.msg1243209#msg1243209 date=1294231178]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yes, but the trick is to identify the next josé, the person who looks like if given the right oppertunity will go on to historic things.
[/quote]
Some would argue that the next Jose could indeed be Norwegian...

2987869-aab---fck.jpg

Besides their unbeaten run and fine form both in Portuguese league and Europa League, his background - writing scouting reports for Sir Bobby and Mourino, team's style of play and his small miracle of saving Academica from relegation in his very first job - achieved with a good Portuguese cup run to the semis, are probably reasons behind the hype, despite Porto being a considerably big club domestically.

[quote author=KHL link=topic=43405.msg1243234#msg1243234 date=1294233769]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1243211#msg1243211 date=1294231328]

[/quote]
Some would argue that the next Jose could indeed be Norwegian...

2987869-aab---fck.jpg

[/quote]

STAALE SOLBAKKEN

Solbakken is perhaps the hardest of the candidates to assess. He has worked wonders with FC Copenhagen, where he was appointed in 2005 a year after being named Norwegian Coach of the Year for leading Hamarkameratene to promotion. In five seasons in Denmark he has lifted four league titles and taken FCK into the last 16 of the Champions League. His record is impressive, even if there are doubts about how he would cope outside of Scandinavia. There is little complex about his tactical approach: He has attempted anything other than 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 in only three of 258 Danish league matches.

That's one cool statistic/record keeping!

[quote author=RolandG link=topic=43405.msg1243259#msg1243259 date=1294234749]
I see very little mention of Del Bosque.
[/quote]

highly unlikely he will leave the spain national team especially with the european championship next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom