• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Laudrup anyone? (Tis a long read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reuque

Well-Known
Michael Laudrup - would you back him as the next Liverpool manager?

By royhendo - January 03 2011 - PRINT THIS ARTICLE

If not a truly ‘formative’ episode in my football timeline, the 1986 World Cup is still a regular feature in my mind’s private cinema. Maybe not the most regular feature, ahem, but still a vivid series of memories. The drama during my country’s qualification, the loss of Big Jock at Ninian Park, the palaver over whether Kenny and Jocky were gonna play, Strachan’s ‘refusal’ at the ad hording hurdle…

But as with all world cups, it’s the games and the players who live longest in your mind. Scotland were, of course, drawn with Germany, Uruguay, and Denmark at the time. It still looks a tough draw by today’s standards, but younger readers may be surprised to hear that, of the three sides, Denmark were the ones that caused the most hand-wringing North of the border. They were something of a glamour side, and alongside a certain slip of a lad named Jan Molby, a big part of that was a dashing young playmaker by the name of Michael Laudrup.

Oh, what an elegant sight he was, even to young eyes. In the opening game of the group they faced Uruguay, supposedly a strong side playing on more familiar turf. Denmark thumped them 6-1, with Mr Laudrup instrumental throughout.

For the benefit of those too young to remember it, here’s a brief snippet of our subject (then 22 years old) in action during that game.

From impressing at an early age in Danish football, Juventus snapped him up in 1983 after, believe it or not, he’d agreed a deal with Liverpool (*Goddamn Parry*). At the time, the Agnelli clan were doing their best to hoover up the cream of European talent, signing Liam Brady in 1980, Zbigniew Boniek and Michel Platini in ‘82, and Laudrup in ‘83, then aged 19. As such, he flew to Mexico as an established ‘name’, despite having been farmed out to Lazio on loan due to the then ‘two foreigners’ rule in force in Serie A. He would play for Juventus for three seasons between 1985 and 1989, taking over Platini’s pivotal role in the side and leading the team.

He then made what was arguably the defining move of his playing career, again joined a footballing superpower choc full of superstars, and managed by one of the icons of the world game, Johan Cruyff. The team Cruyff assembled went on to be tagged The Dream Team of course, with players like Guardiola, Koeman, Stoichkov, and Romario complementing Laudrup’s gliding grace and intelligence beautifully. As well as La Liga titles and Spanish Cups, they won the European Cup in 1992. Quite a side really - one of the defining sides in history, much like our own at that very time.

As if that wasn’t enough, having fallen out with Cruyff (as many people do) in ‘94, he moved to Real Madrid. Phew! The book “Laudrup - A Football Dynasty†quotes Cruyff as follows.

“One of the most difficult players I have worked with. When he gives 80–90% he is still by far the best, but I want 100%, and he rarely does that.â€

“When Michael plays like a dream, a magic illusion, determined to show his new team his extreme abilities, no one in the world comes anywhere near his level.â€

This led Laudrup to the distinction of being the only man ever to win five spanish titles in a row playing for two different clubs. Real fans voted him the 12th best player in their history in 2002 - quite an honour given the pantheon they already boasted at that time. Raul said he was the best player he’d ever played with.

He later travelled for a stint in Japan and finished his career winning the Dutch title at Ajax, retiring in 1998, aged 34.

It’s best to leave the footage to do the talking really. You can find footage of the Dream Team side here:

Against Real Madrid: http://tinyurl.com/2ugltkp

Against Sevilla: http://tinyurl.com/35sa6cf

Against Dinamo Kiev: http://tinyurl.com/37ecyuc

Against Man Utd: http://tinyurl.com/32vwdux and http://tinyurl.com/2wjbmbe

As a player, he was one to remember, particularly for the thinking man. If he’d played today, you’d be seeing non-stop ‘guapa’ clips and youtube virals made in his honour.

But enough of all that. We know how good he was as a player - why bother going over that? Well, it underlines three key points for me.

1. He’s a natural leader - he can’t avoid it. At a tender age, he was already his country’s ‘leader’ in developing their play on the world stage. Juve would ask him to take on a similar role, then Barca, then Real Madrid. Each time he took it in his graceful stride and led his team to trophies. That’s massively significant in my view.

2. He’s learned his trade with some of the true greats, and in particular, was nicely marinaded in the formative years of Cruyff’s tenure at Barca - the fruits of which are only really now beginning to bear fruit. He has an insight into the ‘big picture’.

3. He’s a purist. Look at how he played, and how he conducted the teams around him - they were always a joy to watch. That was down in large part to him. We’ll come back to that later, but it defines him as a manager too, and it’s the kind of purism that should also (in my view) define our future at Liverpool FC.

But enough - we get the general picture by now. If he’s being considered as a candidate for the Liverpool job, it’s all very well being a ‘great’ on the park. What we’re interested in is how he does at the side of the park, or on the training ground, or on the phone to players and agents. How does he fare on that front?

Once again we’ll go through the salient points in turn, but as you read, it’s worth noting the way his demeanour, his words, and his work chime with our understanding of the Liverpool Way.
Age?

He’s 46. That’s young enough for 20 years or more at the helm. Check.
Lingo?

He’s fluent in English, as he is in several languages. It seems he also has a flair with it, at least when his audience is Red.

It’s here that he first hooked me, to be honest. He’s no stranger to Liverpool FC’s official site. In two recent interviews, you got an insight into his charm, his views on the game, and his - wait for it - affinity and admiration for Liverpool FC. Who knew?

Some snippets from the first interview.

You actually came close to signing for Liverpool at first, didn’t you?

Yes, in 1983 I had the opportunity to sign for Liverpool. We actually agreed a deal and I came over with my father to talk to Liverpool’s representatives. We agreed a three-year contract and went away thinking it was all done. But two weeks later they came back saying they wanted to offer me the same package, but for four years because I was still young and needed time to develop. I was disappointed because although nothing had been signed, we had an agreement. I decided not to join them and people thought I was crazy. This 19-year-old was turning down the great Liverpool. It wasn’t really like that though. I just felt an agreement is an agreement and people should stick to what they decide. After that, I had other offers and went on to join Juventus. That’s football for you.

You went on to play for the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona, but never got to play at Anfield. Was that disappointing given the reputation it has for its famous atmosphere?

You know, it is really strange that I had such a long career and played in so many stadiums around the world - but never Anfield. I have been there though. I was there for the Champions League match against Barcelona about three years ago. You won 2-1 in the Camp Nou and then lost 1-0 at home. It was such an amazing atmosphere that night. I think the word special can be used too often to describe things, but there’s no doubt, that is the only word I can think of for Anfield.

It’s a shame that the incredible Barcelona side that you played in during the late 80s-early 90s didn’t go head-to-head with Kenny Dalglish’s team of the same era. Who do you think would have won?

Ha ha, I’ve never thought about it. It was a great team with fantastic players though. The likes of John Barnes and Peter Beardsley were at their peak back then. But that was how I always remember Liverpool. You have had so many great teams over the years. Growing up in Denmark as a kid, they were the games we saw on TV. Some of my favourites were Ray Kennedy, John Toshack and Kevin Keegan; but do you know who I really liked watching?

Kenny Dalglish?

No, he was a great player too - but I always enjoyed seeing Steve Heighway in action. He was very effective down the wing.

More on that article later - but it’s worth bookmarking for a read in full.
Potential Waiting To Flower?

One thing you’ll hear from people on the subject of Laudrup is that ‘he’s never done it at a big club’. That’s an interesting comment in my view, given his record as a player and his comfort in that kind of environment. Laudrup always appears as if he’s just waiting to be parachuted into the throne at one of the European Superpowers. It’d just take one of them to take what’s conventionally perceived as a ‘risk’ to appoint him. But then it’d be no bigger a risk than Real appointing Toshack, or Barca appointing Bobby Robson. If you’ve got it, you’ve got it. And in my view, he’s got it.

He started out as Morten Olsen’s assistant ten years ago with the Danish national team. And guess what - they deployed a 4-2-3-1 and a possession-based short passing game. That led him to his first fully fledged manager’s job, with Brondby.

Clearly the Danish Superliga isn’t the Blue Riband of the biscuit tin, but guess what? He got Brondby playing a 4-2-3-1 with a possession-based short passing game. You might call it the emergence of a trend. Passing football. Purist’s football.

While there, he quickly pruned the squad of the less effective veterans, bringing in fresh young blood to help him implement his scheme. They won the Danish Cup the first year, coming second in the league. They then came 2nd again the following season, before winning the league and cup double in his third.

After another 2nd place finish, the club dilly-dallied on his contract terms, and Laudrup was snapped up by Getafe, Madrid’s ‘little team’. Guess what? He inherited Bendt Schuster’s side and continued their trajectory, playing a possession-based short passing game, and using it to reach the final of the Copa Del Rey and the UEFA Cup quarters (a dramatic loss to Bayern having been 3-1 ahead going into the closing minutes). During that run, they had neatly picked apart Jol’s Spurs side without much bother. Commoli was present. Jol was allegedly sacked by Daniel Levy at half time during that very game.

Oddly, he announced his departure at a press conference, and it’s not clear what the reasons were for his departure. Sky Sports reported it as follows.

Laudrup told a news conference: “My time at the club has come to an end.

“I’m making this announcement so that the club can have a chance to look for a replacement and in order to express my thanks to them for having given me this opportunity.

“This club is a very recent arrival to the first division, but despite that people said to me when I took over here that I had gone to a club which had great expectations.

“I replied that they were right but that it was a great challenge and look how it turned out. I hope the person that replaces me will be able to do even better even though the club is going to be in the Uefa Cup again.â€

Why leave when things were going so well? A few tweaks to the side, and you’re talking a powerful unit. It’s an enigmatic statement, isn’t it? Reading that, you’re scratching your head. Why leave? It was a good consolidation of Schuster’s work at the club, where evidently the already high standard of football was further improved. His agent illuminated things a little. Again, it seems his ambition precipitated the issue.

“Spain is like his second country and his family is very happy here. If he stays here though, it will have to be a team at the same level as Michael,†said [his agent].

...“Sevilla? Why not? There are various clubs in different countries that are interested. Galatasaray are mad about him… Others have called me from Portugal, Russia and England… “I am not talking about Chelsea though, it was another club.â€

[His agent] was adamant that his client was set to switch clubs and stated that things could have been so much better had Getafe let him have the players he wanted.

“It is not that Getafe is too small. Angel [Torres, Getafe president] has left him to work, for all his faults and good points, but the chapter of Laudrup at Getafe has finished.†Tutumlu told Globo FM.

“I was really unhappy when the team lost to Bayern. It could have been the best season for a hundred years. I am not happy with the season overall. Things could have much better. If you are leading 3-1 against Bayern with only a few minutes to go, you should not lose the tie.

“I do not blame the Getafe goalkeepers, they are very good, but they have failed at decisive times. Also, if Michael had some strikers that could score more regularly then Getafe would now be qualified for the Champions League or the Uefa Cup.

“Of the five forwards there, none scored as many goals as Dani Guiza. That is just bad management. Angel is my friend, but he can also make mistakes.â€

Finally, Tutumlu revealed one of the key reasons why Laudrup was ready to move on from Getafe and search for a new challenge after only one season at the helm.

“He is not going to be able to do more than he has done after the way he and the players felt after losing to Bayern. I do not believe that they will have the same reaction next year,†he added.

“If you have asked me a month ago about all this I would not have said anything about the offers, not until the club were safe. Now I have said everything. We must not move ahead of ourselves.â€

Reading that knits my brow a little, I have to confess. In management, things don’t always go the way you want them to. It seems, at that early stage of his career at least, that Laudrup, with his independent wealth, his ambition, and his comfort with confrontation (he’s confident and calm after all - why would negotiations worry him), is prone to being ‘flighty’.

But maybe it’s simpler than that. As he hinted at above, in 1983, he turned down his own dream move to Liverpool. Why? On principle, because they changed the terms without reference to him.

As he himself said: “I just felt an agreement is an agreement and people should stick to what they decideâ€. Whether that’s a realistic expectation in an industry like football isn’t clear.

Clearly, however, he enjoyed his time in Spain, as apparently he insisted on taking his next job that he could leave if an offer came in from a Spanish club.
It’s little wonder - he has God-like status there. Check these out. It’s Quaker Oats type-stuff, in case you’re wondering.

Who does he think he is? The boy Lineacre?

After a short spell out of the game, Spartak Moscow evidently agreed to Laudrup’s ‘back to Spain’ clause, hiring him in September 2008. It seems he secured the job through his La Liga connections, with Valery Karpin, formerly of Celta Vigo, the Spartak Executive Director. When he took the job, they were third in the Russian Premier League and about to start their UEFA Cup campaign.

Shortly after his appointment, Jonathan Wilson commented as follows (the article hints at the context - “Divided Spartak turn to Laudrup to halt their downward spiralâ€).

“Six seasons of failure is about to become seven. But after the appointment of Michael Laudrup as coach last month, there is at least now a sense of new direction…

...The drip-drip of frustration reached breaking point in July, with a 5-1 defeat to CSKA. Fans rioted, while Fratria, the most influential supporters’ group, published an open letter to the club’s leadership on their website. “July 12 has become a black date in Spartak’s calendar,†itread.

“Unfortunately there are no grounds to believe that the catastrophe in the derby was a one-off case that can just shrugged off. We cannot tolerate going and watching how the football team and the club as a whole is declining. We demand that the bosses of the Joint-Stock Company of Spartak Moscow Football Club resign.â€

The club had sold key players like Pogrebnyak and Torbinski - both central to the national team’s exploits in the European Championships. Tricky Disco, no? Wilson continues.

Laudrup… has been linked with a number of jobs since leaving Getafe after raising them to unimagined heights.

Certainly he seems enthused by the project. “I was in Russia several times in the eighties and nineties and if I had been approached by a Russian club 10-15 years ago I would absolutely have turned it down,†Laudrup said “But since then there have been fantastic changes. Moscow is a magnificent city. Sure, there are some social problems, but I’m not here to rescue the world. It’s axiomatic that the English Premier League and the Spanish La Liga are the best leagues in the world and they are followed by the Italian Serie A, but the Russian Premier League is fourth. Russia’s best players play at home because the clubs have enough money to retain them.â€

Results are yet to meet expectations… “Laudrup wants us to play fast football, with just one or two touches,†explained the midfielder Alexander Pavlenko. “He wants us to move the ball from one flank to the another.â€

That, evidently, will take time. Fans may be prepared reluctantly to write off this season, but next season they will expect concrete signs of progress. The ticking of failure’s clock resounds ever louder.

Prophetic words, as it didn’t last long. After a seven month stint there, Spartak lost 3-0 to Dynamo Moscow in the quarter finals of the Russian Cup, the club sacked him, citing “unsatisfactory resultsâ€. Brian Laudrup commented differently, however, and again, it was a familiar story.

“Spartak Moscow is a club with big expectations, but Michael was hired with the intention of getting more money to strengthen the team. But due to the financial crisis he didn’t have the possibility to buy any new players.â€

He likes promises to be kept, lest we forget. But again - a possession-based short passing game. Passing football. Purist’s football.

Laudrup then spent some time out of the game (albeit he wasn’t without offers) until the summer of this year, when Mallorca made him an offer that he deemed acceptable. The club were effectively bankrupt, so you can only speculate as to the contract negotiations. Is it safe to say Laudrup would have driven a hard bargain in terms of the clauses inserted?

Regardless, the Spanish game and Spanish players are more familiar with a possession-based short passing game. (Indeed, Laudrup’s former team-mate at Real Madrid, Fernando Hierro, was by then Sporting Director of the Spanish Football Federation, implementing the kind of game he saw Laudrup conduct at the Bernebeu on a country-wide systematic basis at youth level.)

So how have things gone so far? Well, first up, as is natural when on the wrong end of administration *mops brow*, Mallorca lost most of its best players before his arrival - Valero, Suarez and Aduriz - and were thrown out of the UEFA Cup for being naughty boys and girls in the process. So the bar was set pretty low in terms of expectations.

Laudrup, as is his wont, has them playing… OK, I won’t bore you, but you know the script. They’ve taken the scalps of Sevilla and Valencia away, and they’ve drawn against both Barca:
“The idea was ‘go at them, let’s go with pace because they are tired’†and Real Madrid: “if there was a time to catch Mourinho’s Madrid it is now; we are fitter, we are ready, we are a team.â€.

Football 365 interviewed their new star player, Jonathan De Guzman.

What brought you over from Feyenoord to Mallorca?

I was a free agent and the manager, Michael Laudrup, and owner had been after me…

Tell us about the coach, Michael Laudrup, he’s taken Mallorca to 21 points already in his first few months at the club. How has he done it?

He enjoys football and it’s always what we do in practice, just pure football… I’m learning every day and enjoying it. Is he still a good player? He joins in from time to time, he’s still got it and it’s cool to see.

Mallorca have had some great results against Real Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla and Valencia. How have they done it as Mallorca were expected to struggle this season?

It’s team spirit, it’s a really young side with players who are fighting for their position so it’s very competitive on and off the pitch. Everyone is pushing each other to make everyone better. I think that’s how we get the results, especially in the away games and even the home ones. We’ve done really well against the big teams, but it’s important to do well against the sides that are on our level, too.
Potential Risks

Laudrup is a confident man, relaxed and assured of his ability to take new situations in his stride. At the side of the park, he’s a calm, unflappable figure, and likewise in his pre- and post-match press duties. I guess, having faced pressure since his early days and been thrust into the limelight, that’s only natural.

Things aren’t that simple though. Any man who inherits the Liverpool manager’s job finds himself on day one with his rear end directly in the bacon slicer. Sidestepping the urge to crack any kind of Danish bacon gag, it’s fair to say Laudrup is better equipped than many in those situations. But there are difficult decisions to make, and Laudrup, as a rule, is unapologetic when it comes to his preferences in football terms. He’s a purist - and when you’re a staunch purist, it can lead to difficult situations in your early management tenure when you arrive at a club.

For example, when co-commentating for Danish TV on on Liverpool’s UEFA Cup semi final v Atletico last year, he’s reported to have said: “Dirk Kuyt of course tries hard and runs a lot, but seriously there is no quality thereâ€. That, of course, is one of the hot topics for debate. Likewise, his view on the available centre halves at Liverpool don’t bode too well for Jamie Carragher, another player who divides opinion - purists on one side, the rest on the other.

When commenting on Daniel Agger, in his interview with Liverpool’s website, it’s pretty clear he prefers all his players to be footballers, not excluding his centre halves. It’s worth quoting at length, as it’s a good insight into his prefences.

I suppose the best place to start would be with Daniel Agger, a player you know well…

Well I coached him at Brondby when I was manager a few years ago. He came directly from the youth team and you could see right from the beginning that he had great potential. He is very calm, very good with the ball and direct in the way he defends. ...If he can stay fit then I think he can definitely be one of the best central defenders in the game.

...Liverpool have had many great defenders in the past. Daniel is a very good player and if he can put his injury problems behind him and play at a high level in the next few years, then maybe you will be talking about him in the same breath. At the moment you are blessed with some very good central defenders. I think Carragher and Skrtel are very strong, so you have three very competitive players fighting for the two places.

You don’t have to be Lt Colombo to figure out, when fit, who he’d prefer to take the free slots. Laudrup seems the type of manager who would reconfigure the side with footballing ability uppermost in the equation. Look at how he did things when he started at Brondby - kids on Liverpools books like Pacheco, Suso, Kelly and Wilson would suddenly find themselves in contention for starting places. The first concern would be how the team moved the ball, and whether the players were suitable for Laudrup’s possession-based short passing game. Let’s face it - not all of the current senior Liverpool squad are well suited to the purest form of that style of game.

Laudrup is a purist. And let’s be honest - perhaps it’s no surprise. He ‘did time’ at Ajax. He spent the pivotal period of his career under the management of Johan Cruyff - a man who once seriously considered sending his Barca side out with an extra outfield player instead of a goalkeeper.

I have to say, that excites me, as it rings a few bells with our footballing heritage. On top of that, he recognises Liverpool as a pinnacle in the game. But on the minus side, things inevitably go wrong when men in suits stick their horn-rimmed spectacles into the mix. Misunderstandings occur. Will Laudrup have the stomach to stick with his vision? Will Liverpool become so well-oiled that this won’t be an issue?

I don’t doubt that he has the guts and the supreme confidence to lead a top level team - I think he’d take it in his stride just like any difficult situation he’s ever faced, with grace and poise abounding. I just worry about his resilience when people muck him around.
My view?

To sum up - I worry about his lack of demonstrable experience at the very pinnacle of the game. He’s done well with smaller teams and his football is consistently beautiful to behold - but can he stomach the kind of politics he’d have to deal with at LFC? I believe he has the ability to do the job, and do it exceptionally well. But Liverpool can be a crazy club, and he does have previous when things get a little upside-downski.

I love the man’s views on the game - I share them in fact to a great extent. A big part of me would love to find out how he would get us playing… but another part would worry about a moonlight flit. A graceful moonlight flit - but a moonlight flit nonetheless.

http://www.level3football.com/royhendo/article/michael_laudrup_would_you_back_him_as_the_next_liverpool_manager

To summarize, he likes his team to play sexy football, but is a bit of a bottler.

He hasn't been able to solve Mallorca's achilles' heel of poor away form though.

His "level" articles with regards to Rafa were a little cringeworthy.

Laudrup is a decent manager and I've been impressed with Mallorca when I've seen them this year - they played very successfully against Barca. Still, I'm unconvinced he'd be the best candidate for us not in the least because khl would be intolerable.

Interesting reads Reuque, cheers.

Can we please appoint Laudrup then?

I promise not to be (that) intolerable.

[quote author=KHL link=topic=43405.msg1242569#msg1242569 date=1294153127]
Interesting reads Reuque, cheers.

Can we please appoint Laudrup then?

I promise not to be (that) intolerable.
[/quote]

Hodgson is close to danish isnt he?? ;D

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=43405.msg1242574#msg1242574 date=1294153800]
If you mean he's about as much use as a flaky pastry, absolutely.
[/quote]
Haha was contemplating posting something very similar to that.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=43405.msg1242571#msg1242571 date=1294153342]
Even if he's a roaring success?

Mind you, in that event I for one won't mind too much. ;)
[/quote]
Even that. I'd just be ever so pleased for Liverpool FC. And Laudrup obviously whom I respect a lot both as a person and manager.

The thing is I'm almost certain that most posters on here would love him as our manager really.

He's a very respectful and nice bloke with a good bit of class about him too. A likeable person really with inspiring ideas and great belief in himself and those around him.

Michael Laudrup, the manager, is also a professional mind you and not one to be bullied with.

I'm not saying he's the most obvious name of the bunch nor the best choice but he'd certainly give us something we haven't had for a long time in the manager seat. Along with his far more attacking-minded and positive ideas than what we've been used too the fact he's a big star himself and known around the globe would probably make us even more attractive in the eyes of the best players outthere.

*The fact he's so well-dressed and so nicely groomed that he makes Barbie-Ken look like a hobo is just the icing on the cake.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1242586#msg1242586 date=1294155591]
wouldn' t have any problem with laudrup as manager. would prefer laudrup to deschamps anyway.
[/quote]

Based upon what?

Deschamps has had more success at a younger age.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=43405.msg1242608#msg1242608 date=1294159064]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1242586#msg1242586 date=1294155591]
wouldn' t have any problem with laudrup as manager. would prefer laudrup to deschamps anyway.
[/quote]

Based upon what?

Deschamps has had more success at a younger age.
[/quote]

Exactly. Laudrup has only done well at one Scando club. Remind you of anyone ?

*runs for cover from khl*

[/quote]

Based upon what?
[/quote]

based on laudrup making clubs punch above their weight, something we are going to need as our squad doesn't have the depth of the current top 5 and we are unlikely to outspend man city or chelsea anytime soon.

deschamps won the league with marseille but aren't they are one of the biggest teams in france? he did guide a lower team (monaco) to a european cup final but I'm more looking at league performances.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1242614#msg1242614 date=1294159734]
[/quote]

Based upon what?
[/quote]

based on laudrup making clubs punch above their weight, something we are going to need as our squad doesn't have the depth of the current top 5 and we are unlikely to outspend man city or chelsea anytime soon.

deschamps won the league with marseille but aren't they are one of the biggest teams in france? he did guide a lower team (monaco) to a european cup final but I'm more looking at league performances.
[/quote]

He took Monaco to the French League and the Champions League final.

Got Juventus promoted back into Seria A and restored some sort of respectability to the club.

Then took Marseille to their first title in 18 years.

I reckon that outweighs Laudrup's achievements.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=43405.msg1242666#msg1242666 date=1294162063]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1242614#msg1242614 date=1294159734]
[/quote]

Based upon what?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Got Juventus promoted back into Seria A and restored some sort of respectability to the club.

[/quote]

as I said I'm more looking at league performances as our number one priority is to get back into the CL.

may come in handy is roy gets us relagated ;)

good acheivement but as I said marseille are argubly the second strongest team in france, the competition here is teams that have deeper squads, spend more money and managers who have decades of experience.

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I would be against deschamps I just think laudrup would get more out of our squad and have us playing in a manner that would push us up the league without spending a fortune in transfer fees.

My only requirement for a new coach is to play winning football by using the resources at his disposal. We won't be outspending anyone soon.

Rijkaard, Laudrup, Deschamp? Anyone but Roy!

Id love to see Laudrup at Anfield. Deschamps does have a more impressive CV thats true...I don't think it should be about just comparing CV's though.

Situations differ from job to job, you need to consider what he will bring to the club, the intelligence and personality of the man above all else in my opinion.

I think Laudrup would be a big success at Anfield, more so than Deschamps. I just see him as a better fit for the club, only my gut feeling.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43405.msg1242687#msg1242687 date=1294162847]
[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=43405.msg1242666#msg1242666 date=1294162063]
[/quote]

Based upon what?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

as I said I'm more looking at league performances as our number one priority is to get back into the CL.

He won the league with Monaco that year too. Weird statement.

may come in handy is roy gets us relagated ;)

True.

good acheivement but as I said marseille are argubly the second strongest team in france, the competition here is teams that have deeper squads, spend more money and managers who have decades of experience.

Again, I feel the need to repeat what's already there: First league title in 18 years. Therefore surely not the 'second best team in France

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I would be against deschamps I just think laudrup would get more out of our squad and have us playing in a manner that would push us up the league without spending a fortune in transfer fees.
[/quote]

It would be wrong to underestimate Deschamps' achievement in guiding Marseille to that league title. However, with Lyon's decline and Bordeaux making a mess of their title defence, it was a very open race. Spidey's right in the sense that Marseille's resources are greater than most of their competitors (though not by much in recent seasons), but the main thing Deschamps managed to do was lift the weight of expectancy and pressure that has always tended to hobble Marseille in the final straight. It's a chaotically run club, and he managed to keep the chaos to one side long enough for his team to clinch the league. On that basis he's a good manager. Let's be honest, though, it's not as impressive an achievement as leading Valencia to two La Liga titles in three years.

Whoever we choose next will be a gamble. I think it'll come down to who's most easily available, who wants the job most, and who is the best fit for the new system (in partnership with Commoli) which we're installing at Anfield. I like the idea of Laudrup (I can imagine him being given the top job at Barca or Juve and doing well, for instance), but I have my doubts whether he'll be prepared to be subordinate to a glorified scout.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=43405.msg1243024#msg1243024 date=1294204489]
He won the league with Monaco that year too.

[/quote]

nope.

Monaco lost the title by 1 point to Lyon that season.

Deschamps' Ligue 1 achievement with Monaco:

Season Level Pos Pts Pld W D L F A GD
2004/2005 Ligue 1 3 63 38 15 18 5 52 35 +17
2003/2004 Ligue 1 3 75 38 21 12 5 59 30 +29
2002/2003 Ligue 1 2 67 38 19 10 9 66 33 +33

I hope Commoli's position does not end up making the Managers job less attractive to top candidates.

I think most would not be put off by it, as long as new guy had an assurance for an equal vote to approve or veto signings?

He might not of won the league with Monaco, but Deschamps time at Marseille sounds impressive.

You can draw comparisons with what he would have to overcome at Liverpool should he take the job on...All be it on a much harder scale with the stupid money making it an uneven playing surface in England.

to get monaco within a point of the league is impressive though.
Personally i don't know who i'd prefer out of the 2. Laudrup seems to have more of an admiration for the club which would be nice to have, but it's hard to take your eyes of deschamps silverware.

DDs for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom