• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LFC Reserves & Youth Team Goals/Highlights

Wow. The lad's got something.
He really has. We were credited with genuine interest in Bowen a couple of seasons back and I think we’ve ended up with the next Bowen (but possibly with a higher ceiling).
He looks potentially top class every time I’ve seen highlights, and he’s got that wee cunt factor too!

[article]Liverpool's latest hot forward prospect Lewis Koumas is signing up to the ICM Stellar agency. The 17-year old, who moved to Liverpool as an 11-year-old and played at full back and winger before converting to a No 9, has scored nine goals in nine games so far. ICM Stellar director Dave Lockwood used to represent Lewis’s father, former Wales, West Bromwich, Wigan and Tranmere winger Jason Koumas.[/article]

Gordon, Doak, Clark, Koumas, TKD, Cannonier - hopefully a couple of them will have a future at the club.

With the form Doak is in, he may be overtaking Clark or even Gordon in the pecking order.

Anyone can share this article please? --> https://theathletic.com/3680637/2022/10/12/ben-doak-liverpool-celtic-scotland-football

Cheers, @the count for http://sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/the-athletic-lfc-related-articles.156776/page-61#post-2176494

[article]“I have been running youth teams for over 20 years, so stories like Ben’s make it all worthwhile,” Evan Fairns says.

He is discussing Ben Doak, a 16-year-old winger who joined Liverpool from Scottish champions Celtic in July for £600,000.

Doak, who attracted interest from several Premier League clubs, has already impressed on the right-wing for Liverpool Under-18s, scoring four times and completing three assists in eight games. This explosive start earned him a first appearance for the under-21 side last weekend.

He has settled in well on Merseyside, even if he is a long way from his hometown of Dalry in Ayrshire, around an hour south west of Glasgow, where his football career first began.

After a brief stint with Kilbirnie, Doak joined up with Fairns’ Dalry side. Born in 2005, Doak was a year younger than most of his team-mates but his talent was there for all to see.

Playing with the older age groups is something he has made a habit out of — last month, he scored less than 10 minutes into his Scotland Under-21s debut in a win over their Northern Ireland counterparts.

“He was like a wee rocket,” Fairns, who coaches Dalry’s under-20s team, where five of Doak’s former team-mates still play, remembers. “His ability was quite raw but he had this physical presence, that is how he could compete and play up front. He was fearless on the park. It didn’t matter who he was playing against, it could have been a 6ft guy and he wouldn’t have been fazed.

“In training, he was just a sponge. He was very quiet and would always listen. He would turn up to training and even though he was the youngest, there was no carry-on from him — he was there to train and to learn. He was a delight to coach.”

Fairns’ two sons played in the same Dalry side as Doak.

“We had a cracking team,” he reflects. “We played Rangers at Murray Park and even playing against academy players a year older than him, Ben stood out. I remember he scored against Celtic twice when we beat them 2-0. For his second goal, he just broke away and lobbed it over the keeper.”

Raymond Pattison, head scout of then-third tier Ayr United, was one of the first to spot Doak’s emerging talent while on a scouting trip in 2014.

“I went up to Dalry from Kilmarnock to watch them play,” Pattison says. “The first time I saw him I could see there was something special there. He put himself about and scored goals for fun.

“When he joined Ayr, he was exactly the same. He was scoring against everyone and I was like, ‘Wow, we have something special here’. It wasn’t long before Celtic swooped in. I call him the one that got away,” he laughs.

Doak quickly progressed through the ranks at Celtic too.

His rapid rise has not surprised those who watched him play at youth level.

“I remember we went up to the local astroturf pitch for training. Ben was at Celtic at this point and he was there with Dylan Reid, who plays for St Mirren now,” Fairns says. “The two of them were up there running drills for hours.

“Ben always had that dedication, that commitment and desire to make it. That set him apart. He was so single-minded that he was going to make it. On his days off he was up there practising. He wasn’t sitting in his house playing Xbox, he was working on his finishing.”

In January this year, that dedication paid off as Doak made his first-team debut in a 1-0 home win over Dundee United as a 68th-minute substitute. Three days later he made another appearance at Parkhead, coming on for the last seven minutes as Celtic drubbed derby rivals Rangers 3-0.

“When he made his debut for Celtic, his grandad Brian phoned me on the night in tears,” Fairns says. “He was crying, saying thanks for everything you have done. I told him it was all down to Ben.”

Even after appearing for Celtic’s first team twice, once in an Old Firm game, Fairns says Doak remained humble.

“Ben has always come up to see the local junior team. He comes to see us as though he is still just playing for the team. There’s no airs and graces with him. He talks to everybody. He has never been big-headed.”

Doak made plenty of great first impressions among the coaches he has worked with along the way.

Brian McLaughlin, a former winger for Celtic and Ayr and now Scotland Under-17s manager, is among them.

“What I really love about Ben is his ambition in terms of where he wants to go in the game,” McLaughlin says. “It’s OK having ambitions of playing in the Champions League, but you’ve got to train like it. And as soon as I met Ben, I realised that he was a young player who wanted all of the information to improve, he was a young player who was going to work really hard to get better.

“In the first training camp we had and throughout our season, he never changed. He was the same. And that’s what I like about him the most.”

Every time Liverpool Under-19s have played in the UEFA Youth League this season, Fairns says his phone pings with notifications alerting him that Doak is on national TV.

He believes seeing his former charge on screen might soon become the norm: “He will just take it all in his stride. He’s grounded and that’s how he has always been. He will be a wee local hero every time he comes back home.”[/article]

Ben Doak signs first professional deal with Liverpool

Doakpro1-1024x682.jpg

By Caoimhe O'Neill
Nov 14, 2022

Ben Doak has signed his first professional contract with Liverpool.
The 17-year-old, who joined the club from Celtic in March 2022, made his first-team debut earlier this month.
He came on as a substitute during their Carabao Cup win over Derby and kept his place in Jurgen Klopp’s squad for the game against Southampton at the weekend.
Doak, a winger, has already impressed at youth level for Liverpool. He has scored four goals and provided four assists in the UEFA Youth League for Barry Lewtas’s under-19s side.
Those goal involvements have helped them reach the last 16.
He has also appeared in the Premier League 2 and EFL Trophy for Liverpool’s Under-21s.

Nottingham Forest linked with Liverpool teenage sensation as January window looms

[article]Nottingham Forest are reportedly monitoring the progress of Liverpool's teenage sensation Ben Doak ahead of a potential loan move.

The 17-year-old penned his first professional contract at Anfield on Monday after making his debut for the club in last week's Carabao Cup triumph over Derby County.

His display against the Rams won a number of plaudits and Doak was subsequently rewarded with a place on Jurgen Klopp's bench for their league meeting with Southampton on Saturday.

Doak has continued to impress, this time for Scotland's under-21 side in their 2-1 friendly defeat to Iceland at Fir Park.

He provided the assist for Max Johnston's opener and was unfortunate not to be on the score sheet himself during an impressive first-half display. His skill, pace and tenacity remained evident in a trickier second period.

BBC Scotland's commentary team would later confirm during coverage that Forest scouts were in attendance, with the Reds said to be weighing up a temporary move for the former Celtic youngster.

Steve Cooper and City Ground hierarchy are expected to be active in their recruitment, once again, in January. Brazilian star Gustavo Scarpa will arrive in the East Midlands from Palmeiras, having signed a pre-contract agreement in the summer.

Having been named Liverpool's academy manager in 2011, Cooper will be familiar with the inner workings of the club. He oversaw the development of such players as Raheem Sterling and Trent Alexander-Arnold whilst on Merseyside.

Forest currently sit just one spot below 17th-placed Everton heading into the World Cup break.

[/article]

Back
Top Bottom