• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LFC Reserves & Youth Team Goals/Highlights

[article]Bobby Clark is convinced he chose right leaving Newcastle United for Liverpool.

The son of Magpies legend Lee Clark, Bobby signed for Liverpool in the summer of 2021, before signing professional terms less than a year later.

Clark, a member of Jürgen Klopp's squad for the Dubai training camp, has already earned a pair of first-team appearances for the Reds and is looking to add to that tally.

He told liverpoolfc.com: "Obviously it was tough moving from my hometown at the start but I've settled in really well now.

"I came here and I've been given opportunities already, which I'm grateful for. Hopefully I can carry on getting them."

Clark's debut at senior level came off the bench during the 9-0 Premier League win over AFC Bournemouth at Anfield back in August.

A first start then arrived last month for the Carabao Cup third-round tie against Derby County.

"I came on when it was about 8-0, so no pressure!" Clark reflected. "I think about it all the time really because it was a dream come true.

"For about five hours before the [Derby] game, I was just so excited. I couldn't wait to step out at Anfield."

The England youth international feels his ability and off-the-pitch approach has improved massively as a result of the consistent exposure to Liverpool's first team.

"When you're training with the best, you improve every day," Clark said. "You can see what they do off the pitch as well, not just on. You see how they conduct themselves.

"Obviously you know they're good players from watching them on the telly. But when you're getting around it, you can actually see what they're like."[/article]

Clark seems highly rated - but, what limited times I’ve seen him, I can honestly say, I couldn’t even tell you what his best position is, what he brings to the team or what his key skills are.

Is he fast? Is he technically good? Is he a finisher? Is he creative with an eye for a pass?

What does he bring?

Clark seems highly rated - but, what limited times I’ve seen him, I can honestly say, I couldn’t even tell you what his best position is, what he brings to the team or what his key skills are.

Is he fast? Is he technically good? Is he a finisher? Is he creative with an eye for a pass?

What does he bring?

From various reports:
- ability to beat opponents one-on-one
- tearing up trees on the left-hand side of Liverpool's youth team for Marc Bridge-Wilkinson's side
- can also play just as well in the centre of the pitch
- for years he was regarded as the next exciting kid to break through at Newcastle
- (as of last month) his tally for the Reds Under-18s reads 25 appearances, 13 goals and five assists; also made 11 appearances for Liverpool’s U21s, registering one goal and two assists

[article]DAN ASHWORTH is determined to do all he can to avoid a repeat of the situation that saw promising Newcastle United youngster Bobby Clark jump ship to join Liverpool a year-and-a-half ago.

Clark, who is the son of former Newcastle United midfielder Lee Clark, was regarded as one of the most promising youngsters in the country when he progressed through the Magpies’ academy as a teenager.

However, in the summer of 2021, at the age of just 16, the forward left Tyneside to join Liverpool, with the Reds shelling out a compensation fee worth around £1.5m once potential add-ons were included.

He signed his first professional contract with Liverpool in February, and made his Premier League debut as a substitute in August’s 9-0 thrashing of Bournemouth, with Jurgen Klopp describing him as a “really interesting player”.

Clark left Newcastle during a time of considerable upheaval at the club’s academy, and since his appointment as sporting director this summer, Ashworth has made an overhaul of the Magpies’ youth and Under-21s set-up a key priority.

Steve Harper is now settled in his role as Newcastle’s permanent academy manager, and while Ashworth cannot give any guarantees over the retention of the club’s leading teenage talents, he accepts there is no point spending millions on the development of promising youngsters if the players in question then leave before they have even featured for the first team.

“I’d be lying if I said that (the situation with Clark) will never happen again,” said Ashworth. “Ultimately, what you can’t control are the different reasons why players want to go to a club. It might pathway, it might be money, it might be where family are situated or a link with that particular city or country.

“But I think the more you can make players feel valued, the more you can give them evidence of a pathway to a first team and the more the club are striving towards the targets we'd like to achieve, that gives a story and a reason for a young player or senior player to stay and be part of that journey.

“I don’t know the situation around Bobby. I don’t know the specific details around it but, ultimately, our goal is to make sure we do attract and retain the talent and manage that talent better than anybody else.”

Ashworth boasts extensive experience within the academy system, having worked as academy director at Peterborough United and centre of excellence director at Cambridge United in the early years of his career before going on to take up a position as the FA’s director of elite development.

Understandably, a large amount of his focus since joining Newcastle has been trained on supporting Eddie Howe and the first team, and addressing the infrastructural issues that had remained unaddressed throughout the Mike Ashley era.

However, he has also poured considerable time and resources into improving the academy set-up and attempting to create a more effective pathway from the youth set-up to the Under-21s and then on to the first-team group.

Crucially, he is confident Howe buys into his vision of cherry-picking the best young talent from around the world and developing them into senior stars, with the recent acquisition of Australian teenager Garang Kuol, who will officially join at the start of next month, part of that process.

“It’s about getting the young players in the building that have the potential to play in the Premier League,” explained Ashworth. “Then, it’s about managing them and giving them the right coaching pathway and game stimulus, which could be with our Under-21s or could be on loan with Shola (Ameobi).

“It’s about giving them the pathway through. There are multiple examples of clubs across the country where the academy is full of talent, but there’s no way through. You get a change of owner, a change of manager or a club getting relegated or going into administration, and all of a sudden, these players come through and it’s, ‘Blimey, didn’t we have a load of good players in the Academy!’ They haven’t just suddenly landed there – it’s about joining up pathways.

“All I can say is that I’m a former academy manager and I’m really passionate about giving young players an opportunity. But they have to be good enough.

“Football will decide if they’re good enough or not, but what we have to do as a club is give them the right people, the right coaching and the right pathway. And give them the opportunity to play - if they are good enough - in the top half of the Premier League.”[/article]

From various reports:
- ability to beat opponents one-on-one
- tearing up trees on the left-hand side of Liverpool's youth team for Marc Bridge-Wilkinson's side
- can also play just as well in the centre of the pitch
- for years he was regarded as the next exciting kid to break through at Newcastle
- (as of last month) his tally for the Reds Under-18s reads 25 appearances, 13 goals and five assists; also made 11 appearances for Liverpool’s U21s, registering one goal and two assists

[article]DAN ASHWORTH is determined to do all he can to avoid a repeat of the situation that saw promising Newcastle United youngster Bobby Clark jump ship to join Liverpool a year-and-a-half ago.

Clark, who is the son of former Newcastle United midfielder Lee Clark, was regarded as one of the most promising youngsters in the country when he progressed through the Magpies’ academy as a teenager.

However, in the summer of 2021, at the age of just 16, the forward left Tyneside to join Liverpool, with the Reds shelling out a compensation fee worth around £1.5m once potential add-ons were included.

He signed his first professional contract with Liverpool in February, and made his Premier League debut as a substitute in August’s 9-0 thrashing of Bournemouth, with Jurgen Klopp describing him as a “really interesting player”.

Clark left Newcastle during a time of considerable upheaval at the club’s academy, and since his appointment as sporting director this summer, Ashworth has made an overhaul of the Magpies’ youth and Under-21s set-up a key priority.

Steve Harper is now settled in his role as Newcastle’s permanent academy manager, and while Ashworth cannot give any guarantees over the retention of the club’s leading teenage talents, he accepts there is no point spending millions on the development of promising youngsters if the players in question then leave before they have even featured for the first team.

“I’d be lying if I said that (the situation with Clark) will never happen again,” said Ashworth. “Ultimately, what you can’t control are the different reasons why players want to go to a club. It might pathway, it might be money, it might be where family are situated or a link with that particular city or country.

“But I think the more you can make players feel valued, the more you can give them evidence of a pathway to a first team and the more the club are striving towards the targets we'd like to achieve, that gives a story and a reason for a young player or senior player to stay and be part of that journey.

“I don’t know the situation around Bobby. I don’t know the specific details around it but, ultimately, our goal is to make sure we do attract and retain the talent and manage that talent better than anybody else.”

Ashworth boasts extensive experience within the academy system, having worked as academy director at Peterborough United and centre of excellence director at Cambridge United in the early years of his career before going on to take up a position as the FA’s director of elite development.

Understandably, a large amount of his focus since joining Newcastle has been trained on supporting Eddie Howe and the first team, and addressing the infrastructural issues that had remained unaddressed throughout the Mike Ashley era.

However, he has also poured considerable time and resources into improving the academy set-up and attempting to create a more effective pathway from the youth set-up to the Under-21s and then on to the first-team group.

Crucially, he is confident Howe buys into his vision of cherry-picking the best young talent from around the world and developing them into senior stars, with the recent acquisition of Australian teenager Garang Kuol, who will officially join at the start of next month, part of that process.

“It’s about getting the young players in the building that have the potential to play in the Premier League,” explained Ashworth. “Then, it’s about managing them and giving them the right coaching pathway and game stimulus, which could be with our Under-21s or could be on loan with Shola (Ameobi).

“It’s about giving them the pathway through. There are multiple examples of clubs across the country where the academy is full of talent, but there’s no way through. You get a change of owner, a change of manager or a club getting relegated or going into administration, and all of a sudden, these players come through and it’s, ‘Blimey, didn’t we have a load of good players in the Academy!’ They haven’t just suddenly landed there – it’s about joining up pathways.

“All I can say is that I’m a former academy manager and I’m really passionate about giving young players an opportunity. But they have to be good enough.

“Football will decide if they’re good enough or not, but what we have to do as a club is give them the right people, the right coaching and the right pathway. And give them the opportunity to play - if they are good enough - in the top half of the Premier League.”[/article]

FkmAldtXEAALkAw

[article]Preston North End boss Ryan Lowe addressed rumors linking his team with Liverpool starlet Bobby Clark.

The Reds secured Clark back in August 2021 from Newcastle, and he has featured regularly for the Under-21s.

But the 17-year-old may want regular game time to continue his development.

"My lad actually sent me that [media reports linking the club with Clark]. I don't know where that came from, to be fair," Lowe told LancsLive.

“I remember Bobby as a young kid and maybe it's the connections from when I worked with Lee Clark - who I was a development coach with at Bury, before he left. Bob was always around, as a young kid, and was a good footballer then. He is a fantastic footballer now, playing for Liverpool and coming on.

"But, I haven't spoken about Bobby Clark to say whether he'd come to Preston North End on loan - I certainly haven't. I've probably spoken about how good he is when I've watched Liverpool, in the games he's come on in.

“With speculation, I could probably sit here all day and say yeah, no, no, yeah. The two we've mentioned already are Elliot Anderson - because I watched him last season - and Bobby Clark. But I don't know where that's come from. Maybe because I worked with his dad, but I'm not too sure."[/article]

Musialowski fans, your boy has looked bright tonight. He’s just won a penalty with some dancing feet. Luke Chambers, who has been having a boss season, steps up and scores from the spot. #LFC U21s lead 2-0.

Jarell Quansah absolutely loves those Joel Matip style ball carries from central defence - and he’s similarly very good at them.

Billy Koumetio has scored again! A header from close range this time. 3-0 He’s loving being back at #LFC.

It’s 4-0 to Liverpool. Koumetio should have a hat-trick but his header is saved. Oludare Olufunwa is there to score from the rebound in the rain.

4-1 now. PSG have a late consolation through Tony Mendy. A nice finish past Davies who couldn’t do too much about it.

4-2. PSG with another late goal. Liverpool have switched off a bit towards the end and it has cost them.

[article]It’s not just Liverpool’s first team that have been badly stung by injuries this season, Barry Lewtas’ Under-21s have been heavily-depleted at times too.

That was certainly the case when they travelled to Man City on Sunday, eventually falling to a 3-1 defeat at the City Academy Stadium. The fact they could name only four substitutes on the bench, with one of them player-coach Jay Spearing and none of them attacking players summed it up.

Layton Stewart, Oakley Cannonier, Ben Doak, Kaide Gordon, Harvey Blair, James Balagizi, Tom Hill, and Lewis Koumas were all absent, while the young Reds were also without defenders Rhys Williams, Calvin Ramsay, Owen Beck, James Norris, and Isaac Mabaya. Throw in Stefan Bajcetic’s senior promotion, and Jarrell Quansah and Luke Chambers’ loan moves in January and their numbers are somewhat limited.

While the sight of Melkamu Frauendorf on the right is not uncommon, Max Woltman was stationed on the left as opposed to down the middle as he made his third league start since his loan with Doncaster Rovers was cut short.

Meanwhile, winger Mateusz Musialowski was turned to as the central striker. While it is not the first time either has played such a role for the Under-21s, the positioning was intriguing considering you would have perhaps expected them to have lined up the other way around.
[/article]

Doak should have been in the squad for Palace.

Couldn't agree more. We've seen that he has looked threatening and positive when he's featured. In a world with such large benches and 5 subs we should be keeping more attackers like him available to change a game. We had about 4 defenders and 4 pointless midfielders (Ox, Jones etc.) who we know will never win us a game like that. Sometimes you need someone who is pacey who runs at players with the ball. We have that and we are leaving him in the U21s when we need him.

Back
Top Bottom