• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool's Summer Transfers : Speculation & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thiago, Sarr, Lewis & Mandi - would people be happy with that - I reckon £100m spent - could recoup about half of that with proceeds from selling Lovren, Larouci, Shaqiri & Wilson.

Is Sarr any good? I know he scored against us but I can't really remember anything about him.

I don't think Thiago will happen.

Is Sarr any good? I know he scored against us but I can't really remember anything about him.

I don't think Thiago will happen.

Sarr - looks like he has the tools - he’s certainly provide cover and competition on the right - maybe a little raw and not quite the finished article - but if Watford will do business at the right price he’s worth a punt.

Just depends on the cost.

Thiago - i’d prefer someone a couple of years younger- but we probably do need something else in that midfield to help unpick teams that sit deep and number up in defence - but you’re right, it probably won’t happen.

Origi would definitely score more goals if he started more games. In some ways I don't think he's that suited to our style.
He'd be better for teams who build their attack around him. Basically he's a CF not a false 9 like Firmino.

What would people take for origi? If it hit £30 million I’d bite their hand off.
I was once doing a presentation to an American vice president at my previous company and used the expression "I'd bite your hand off" ... and he got quite frightened about the prospect. I had to explain it to him

Two nations divided by a common language

Paul Joyce opinion piece/overview on NW clubs, liverpool part extracted

Quote:
[xtable=border:0|cellpadding:6|cellspacing:0|100%x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Over at Anfield, the champions are patient enough to sit and wait until a truer picture of the landscape emerges.

Liverpool are confident enough in their squad that they do not feel they have to buy and, equally, do not feel they need to sell. It puts them in a unique — and strong — position, the fruits of four years of carefully manipulating the markets with huge success.

If they do receive bids for their fringe players, they will not be selling on the cheap. Securing £10.9 million for 31-year-old Dejan Lovren from Zenit Saint Petersburg was further evidence of the sporting director Michael Edwards’s knack of maximising value, although it helps if the club doing the shopping are the Russian champions.

There are plenty of players that Liverpool could offload — Loris Karius, Harry Wilson, Marko Grujic, who all spent last season out on loan. Xherdan Shaqiri, especially, and Divock Origi, who did not have regular starting roles in the title success, also look dispensable.

But if Brentford value their forwards Ollie Watkins and Saïd Benrahma at about £25 million each, what would the value be of Origi — the slayer of Barcelona, a Champions League final goalscorer and a man with five goals in eight games against Everton? North of that surely? Yet, beyond the fee, there is the added complication for suitors of meeting wage demands at a time of shrinking finances.

Wilson and Grujic had differing fortunes at Bournemouth and Hertha Berlin, but neither would be sold for knockdown prices. At 23 and 24 respectively, they could go out on loan again and retain their value.

What happens with players leaving Anfield is likely to influence what happens with those coming in, given that Liverpool’s owner, Fenway Sports Group, is not about to abandon a self-sufficient strategy that has crafted the best team in England, the world and, for a little longer, Europe.

Liverpool are interested in the left back, Jamal Lewis, at about £10 million — roughly the same as the receipts from Lovren’s sale — but less so at the £20 million price that Norwich City are demanding for the 22-year-old.

Watford’s Ismaïla Sarr, a Senegal team-mate of Sadio Mané who wrecked Liverpool’s unbeaten Premier League record when scoring twice in a 3-0 win at Vicarage Road in February, is another player they will monitor. Watford, who were relegated to the Sky Bet Championship on the final day of the season, paid Rennes in the region of £30 million for the 22-year-old Sarr last summer, so would be looking for a hefty fee. Sarr’s record of five goals and six assists in the Premier League last season does not necessarily unsettle the attacking triumvirate of Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Mané.

If Georginio Wijnaldum, who is in the final year of his contract, was to leave in this window (and there is no suggestion he will) then a move for Thiago Alcântara becomes more likely. Similarly, if the Spain midfielder, 29, is willing to see out the final 12 months of his deal at Bayern Munich, then trying to sign him on a free next summer becomes a no brainer.{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

The situation:
We have limited amounts of cash.
Primarily need 2 players. One wing forward and one left back. Seemingly Lewis and Sarr.
So I'm guessing we have around £40-45 mill to spend and need to make it enough for those two. Hence the reported sell on clause.

If Gini won't sign, we'll sell and use the cash to buy Thiago. Probably why we're stalling.
Worst case scenario, Thiago signs for PSG and Gini leaves. We still have Keita, and Grujic might stick around for a year.

If Origi leaves we need more than the reported £17 mill to buy a replacement. That's why the bid was rejected.

That's how I see it.

Last edited:
The situation:
We have limited amounts of cash.
Primarily need 2 players. One wing forward and one left back. Seemingly Lewis and Sarr.
So I'm guessing we have around £40-45 mill to spend and need to make it enough for those two. Hence the reported sell on clause.

If Gini won't sign, we'll sell and use the cash to buy Thiago. Probably why we're stalling.
Worst case scenario, Thiago signs for PSG and Gini leaves. We still have Keita, and Grujic might stick around for a year.

If Origi leaves we need more than the reported £17 mill to buy a replacement. That's why the bid was rejected.

That's how I see it.

I think if Origi and Shaq leave, we buy Sarr. I don't think we are buying an Origi replacement. We are most likely going to depend on Brewster and Elliot to provide the backup support in attack.

I also think if we dont get Thiago this summer, then we will not allow Gini to leave. We will be prepared to lose him on a Bosman.

I think if Origi and Shaq leave, we buy Sarr. I don't think we are buying an Origi replacement. We are most likely going to depend on Brewster and Elliot to provide the backup support in attack.

I also think if we dont get Thiago this summer, then we will not allow Gini to leave. We will be prepared to lose him on a Bosman.

I really hope we don't do the last part

Origi would definitely score more goals if he started more games. In some ways I don't think he's that suited to our style.
He'd be better for teams who build their attack around him. Basically he's a CF not a false 9 like Firmino.
If he continued scoring goals at his current rate playing a full season he'd be a £50m player ! He already scores 0.5 per 90 mins, better that would likely put him Top 3 in the PL !

City want £30m for Eric Garcia who has 1 year on his contract. I'd like to think we could squeeze villa for more money for Origi if we were to sell

A few people like Mark Mc are seemingly confident that we will get Sarr

City want £30m for Eric Garcia who has 1 year on his contract. I'd like to think we could squeeze villa for more money for Origi if we were to sell

Problem is they’ll be selling to the morons at Barca.

But does Barcelona have that kind of money? All the poor purchasing decisions of the last few seasons seem to be coming home to roost. That said. it could wait until next season, though.

Where is all our money going :(

In the past we've relied on money from high profile players leaving to bring others in.

But if Virgil Mo Mane etc all stay with us for X number of years.....then where does the money come from?

Where is all our money going :(

In the past we've relied on money from high profile players leaving to bring others in.

But if Virgil Mo Mane etc all stay with us for X number of years.....then where does the money come from?
net spend of -£40m, plus probably at least another £60m in sales to come. That's £100m but I doubt Klopp will get the chance to use all of it

If he continued scoring goals at his current rate playing a full season he'd be a £50m player ! He already scores 0.5 per 90 mins, better that would likely put him Top 3 in the PL !

This is reminiscent of your declaration he was a goal a game striker a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom