• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think anyone slated Gerrard and I dont know what on earth manfuryoo is saying...Gerrard has his own flaws as DM but it is the job of manager to hide the weakness of a player and use the best skills of a player. So we should just switch back to 4-3-3 and we are fine, Can/Allen replacing Lucas or who knows even Lallana if we want to attack-attack and only attack sometimes.

All I'm saying is that Gerrard shouldn't be in the DM position. Not the last man in front of the defence, at the very least. He's been a liability there before and even against Southampton I swore there was at least one pass where if the opponents were more alert could have latched on to.

I have regularly defended him as I had to defend Ronnie Whelan back in the day. Lucas was a vital cog in the team. I fear the term was is now accurate and want to see him sold or replaced with someone with quicker feet, better tackling and more pace.

It's just sad now to see him. He's a nice bloke and I just hope he manages to leave with a bit of dignity.

All I'm saying is that Gerrard shouldn't be in the DM position. Not the last man in front of the defence, at the very least. He's been a liability there before and even against Southampton I swore there was at least one pass where if the opponents were more alert could have latched on to.

Fair enough, it's just looks a bit of a mad statement because Can hasn't played 1 minute of PL football yet, also it's mad how fans are so quick to forget how well it worked with Gerrard there last season, we have won 13 out of the last 15 league games with him in that role yet it doesn't seem to count for anything.

I bet it was people like you who were saying that Spearing was better than Lucas. I wish I could find that thread.
Nobody (that I can remember) said that Spearing was better than Lucas. I started that thread and posited whether or not Spearing should be played instead of Lucas to see if he will be better than Lucas. Spearing eventually got his chance and proved to be less effective than I hoped although he was not much worse than Lucas.

Lucas is still good for us as a back up to Gerrard to play that DM position. So I wont sell him at all, he has his own difficulties but he is the best replacement we have if Gerrard gets injured. He wont be creative and visionary as Gerrard but imo he will do enough and we will always have Hendo and Lovren to play those cute long balls to Studge or Sterling.

It is just that playing Lucas and Gerrard together is such a noob thing to do. So Lucas is still good but not with Gerrard together but as a back up to Gerrard.

No. He's not (to both those bolded sections). I'd play Can, Allen, Rossiter or even Henderson there (in that order) any day of the week over Lucas.

Ok so I said "is better" than "will be" but the last sentance was a prediction that if Spearing got a run in the team I thought he'd prove better than Lucas; I was wrong, unlike you Modo who is never wrong. But the fact is I still believe that even though Lucas proved better than Spearing there is not a huge amount of difference between the 2 players ability. Lucas has always been poor.

That it wouldnt have changed anything. Having Sakho/Agger as left back was awful. Toure has played right back plenty of times in his career.

Whatever your mystic powers, we had 3 full backs on the bench so it wasn't because of injuries like you thought, Rodgers screwed up, im sure he admitted himself after the game.

Whatever your mystic powers, we had 3 full backs on the bench so it wasn't because of injuries like you thought, Rodgers screwed up, im sure he admitted himself after the game.

1 full back and 2 CBs playing as full backs. Not gambling on Enrique, yes. The other two, no.

I bet it was people like you who were saying that Spearing was better than Lucas. I wish I could find that thread.

What's it got to do with Spearing, really? If people made that point, it's probably because they felt we needed legs in midfield and for a few months he did a job and we were decent, in the first part of Kenny's stint. Not that it's relevant to whether Lucas was shit at the weekend or not, or whether people feel we can do better, or that he might be struggling for whatever reason.

Let go of the shite of bringing up old signings to hit out at, to deflect critisicm of your favourites, it's petty and pathetic. Lucas is struggling, the World and it's wife know it, whether Spearing is shitter is irrelevant, unless we're creating a pointless barometer of shit defensive midfielders.

If people are hitting out at him, or wanting to see someone else play, it's probably because they're fucking sick of watching him chase shadows and have got a bit fed up of 5yrs of the same infuriating "needless fouls in dangerous areas". It's not unfair, or wide of the mark and it's got jack shit to do with some kid who didn't quite make it.

Enrique was fit enough to come on for 35 minutes, he could have played Wisdom/Kelly and Enrique if he wanted to but chose not to go that way, we played badly and lost and that experiment was never to be seen again, don't know where we are going with this one.

Seriously mate, the season has started and already the rumblings of you returning to your pre disposition of a know-it-all, wind up merchant are starting to surface. Your favourite trick as always, dragging up old threads. Seriously, grow the fuck up.
If Pesam didn't courageously imply that he said it, I wouldn't have found that thread so it's on him. Jk.
I'm just having some fun. We all get stuff wrong. I mean I wanted Taraabt once.
No need to make a big thing out of it.

If Pesam didn't courageously imply that he said it, I wouldn't have found that thread so it's on him. Jk.
I'm just having some fun. We all get stuff wrong. I mean I wanted Taraabt once.
No need to make a big thing out of it.

But you DO make a big deal of it, because you obviously go to the time and effort of finding old posts. Whatevers anyway, if people were looking to Jay Spearing to save us from the despair of watching another season of Lucas underwhelm, then that probably tells you loads about how much Lucas frustrates people.

But you DO make a big deal of it, because you obviously go to the time and effort of finding old posts. Whatevers anyway, if people were looking to Jay Spearing to save us from the despair of watching another season of Lucas underwhelm, then that probably tells you loads about how much Lucas frustrates people.
It wasn't that hard and to me someone who prefers Spearing to Lucas clearly has an agenda against Lucas.

I still think Le Tallec will be a fucking star ... Modo (gracefully) has yet to take me up on it ... Thanks dude!

Enrique was fit enough to come on for 35 minutes, he could have played Wisdom/Kelly and Enrique if he wanted to but chose not to go that way, we played badly and lost and that experiment was never to be seen again, don't know where we are going with this one.

it's going nowhere really though because he learnt from it. I'm not sure you can really draw parallels with Sunday's lineup, we played with three out and out attackers pretty much and two attack minded fullbacks, one of them is past it, but the intent was there and we clearly had no one else we deemed fit enough. Sure, we probably should never see Lucas and Gerrard together again, but lets not pretend they are the sole reasons re underwhelmed, they weren't.

First game nerves, first competitive game without Suarez, proving something after the end to last season, up against a team that were pretty much an unknown quantity because of their Summer, a few players below par, settling in a couple of new defenders. There's a myriad of reasons, Rogers consistently learns from fuck ups, I don't there's any real case to be had to say he didn't learn from last seasons game, it was a different team with a completely different line-up and manager, so there was little to go off really in terms of second guessing the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom