• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Michael Phelps - 8 Golds??

The Nomad

Very Well-Known
Can he break Mark Spitz record of 7??

Just smashed the 400m Medley record this morning by nearly 2 seconds.

I reckon he'll win all of his individual events but needs to hope in the relays he's in that there are no fuck ups from the others in the team.

he's an absolute unit and it would be amazing if he could set the benchmark even higher than spitz's current record

[quote author=Rouge Penguin link=topic=25985.msg642245#msg642245 date=1218455327]
It wasnt him today, it was whoever swam that final leg. Awesome.

[/quote]

That was great although the celebrations were over the top.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=25985.msg642892#msg642892 date=1218538744]
[quote author=Rouge Penguin link=topic=25985.msg642245#msg642245 date=1218455327]
It wasnt him today, it was whoever swam that final leg. Awesome.

[/quote]

That was great although the celebrations were over the top.

[/quote]

Americans? Over the top? Surely not.

Pshaw.

Euro/Brits finding something to whine about? Surely not.

If you fail to find the historical significance of that race sufficient to justify "cheering" and "celebrating" then perhaps you've missed your tea time.

[quote author=ctlovesred link=topic=25985.msg643492#msg643492 date=1218580218]
Pshaw.

Euro/Brits finding something to whine about? Surely not.

If you fail to find the historical significance of that race sufficient to justify "cheering" and "celebrating" then perhaps you've missed your tea time.
[/quote]

Ooooh, look at Mr Sensitive.

I'll happily accept the whining accusation because it is indeed true. But then us Brits don't take ourselves so seriously. :p

what a giant he is. I watched his race yesterday and the amount of time he spent under the water from the dive was un real.

His turns were weird, he went much deeper than everyone else.

A true sports hero although lets face it swimming is the easiest event to win shit loads of medals in

[quote author=Fox link=topic=25985.msg643778#msg643778 date=1218617975]
what a giant he is. I watched his race yesterday and the amount of time he spent under the water from the dive was un real.

A true sports hero although lets face it swimming is the easiest event to win shit loads of medals in

[/quote]

It's surprising that so few see fit to copy his turns. He's clearly gaining an advantage by going deeper to use the butterfly kick to maximum effect. If you're aloud 15m underwater, you may as well use them.

[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=25985.msg643806#msg643806 date=1218619304]

[/quote]

It's surprising that so few see fit to copy his turns. He's clearly gaining an advantage by going deeper to use the butterfly kick to maximum effect. If you're aloud 15m underwater, you may as well use them.
[/quote]

the way his legs work underwater he looks like a mermaid, amazing technique

I find this "best Olympian ever" with his 11 golds a bit silly conisdering there's about 343789271246 events in swimming each time round.

Bit of an exaggeration... there is a great piece on the beeb about the greatest olympian ever argument.

If he repeats the 6-7 goals in London, he would quite rightly be considered as the best ever in my opinion.

That'd show Longevity which by all accounts, is probably the only thing thats holding him back.

[/quote]

There aren't that many swimmers who are so good with so many strokes. He's a beast.

He doesn't seem to use that many strokes. It's just so efficient.

Greatest Olympian ever or not, but he made millions out of swimming! That's an achievement in itself.

Oh yeah, and he has 2 more olympics to go, soooo..

Carl Lewis won 9 x gold medals on the track.
100m, 200m, long jump.
All basically the same thing.
Running quick as fuck. No other skill but sprinting.

This man can swim obviously, but swim in several different styles.
Good luck to him.
Splitting his training between several styles.
11 golds (and more to come) in 2 olympic games.
If he comes back again, and repeats it, 20 golds will prove his legendary status.

6 down, 2 more to go.

People keep on going about Tiger being one of the greatest athletes ever - sure what Phelps is doing now, added to what he's done in the past, should be pushing him to that level, if not above it, eh?

I can hardly contain my fucking excitement.

A good swimmer! Wow!

I bet after this swimming becomes a hugely popular spectator sport, pools around the country packed to the rafters with delirious swimming fans, aching to get a glimpse of their swimming heroes swimming about in a swimming pool.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=25985.msg646239#msg646239 date=1218821421]
I can hardly contain my fucking excitement.

A good swimmer! Wow!

I bet after this swimming becomes a hugely popular spectator sport, pools around the country packed to the rafters with delirious swimming fans, aching to get a glimpse of their swimming heroes swimming about in a swimming pool.
[/quote]

Are you ever optimistic about anything Brendan?? ;)

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=25985.msg646272#msg646272 date=1218824159]
I don't think you're entirely clear on the definition of the word
[/quote]

Ok... Are you capable of being happy at anyone else's moment of glory?

In a fucking shit sport that I have ZERO interest in?

No, I couldn't give a fuck.

I mean, I might tune in to catch highlights if one of them drowns or something, y'know.

Back
Top Bottom