• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Napoli v Liverpool Match Thread - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I don’t understand Klopp at all. Was it really the best possible preparation for City to have Salah, Mane and Firmino play 90 minutes, running without the ball in a defensive shape in a frustrating game we ultimately lost? This was one of the few games a season where it seems Klopp didn’t have a plan at all.
He clearly did but it didn't require him to play our best team if that is what he was going to do.

So three questions for Klopp :

1. Are you really going to play this jaded team against City on Sunday ? That will be three games in 8 days for these players.
2. Why no subs bar Fabinho ?
3. Why no rotation for this match ?

Salah looks totally out of sorts.

But i don't think they were given much to work with tonight

I was actually heartened about the sort of work he put in today. I doubt he was though, considering he spent the second half of last season doing fuck all but smashing goals in.

We showed absolutely no ability to hold onto the ball and move it around, and really worryingly we lost the ball in transition a lot, which leaves our flanks so wide open. We have much better defending individually, but any great team will destroy us when we do that, and even the shit ones will get a bit of luck sometimes.

I still don't know what our best midfield is, or what our midfield is, or what version of Henderson or Wijnaldum will show up, but recently, if I had to guess, it'd be the shit version.

We totally forgot how to play football tonight.

We got caught up with the whole counter attacking strategy, and when we won the ball we rushed forward.

They were totally prepared for it and kept 3 men back at all times.

All we had to do was keep the ball in those moments and frustrate them.

Instead they were the ones patient in possession and the ground us down. Gomez/VVD had to do far too much defending tonight.

Everything the front 3 touched.. Turned to shite today. Really poor by all of them. You can carry 1 of them misfiring, but all 3 at the same time is worrying.

However, I expect a Klopp Rocket will get them ready for the weekend showdown.

Everything the front 3 touched.. Turned to shite today. Really poor by all of them. You can carry 1 of them misfiring, but all 3 at the same time is worrying.

However, I expect a Klopp Rocket will get them ready for the weekend showdown.
They didn't play well but it was noticeable that they were usually surrounded by 3 or 4 defenders and we failed to support them. I've not seen this team look so disjointed, the midfield was absent, there was little to no pressing and our passing was horrendous, almost everyone gave the ball away time and time again. Napoli by contrast passed the ball around and kept possession really well.

On the plus side, I was really impressed with Alisson. Made some really good, important saves again. He even got fingertips on the one that hit the bar.

Still second..

2 wins and draw will do it...

We should get those 2 wins against the whipping boys in the group..

A point against Napoli at home will be enough to qualify and a draw against PSG to top the group

Woland your right but I'm hoping we have got that out of our system by Sunday nothing worse than a wounded beast :cool: so let's do city on Sunday

We lost it in midfield. Hendo and Gini were abysmal. We had to keep going long because our midfielders just didnt make themselves available for the pass. When one of our forwards got it, there were no runners nor a midfielder to connect the passes.

Stan Collymore commented before that Hendo is a flat-track bully, and I kinda agree. He just doesn't cut it when the going gets tough.

Zero shots on target. Poor all over the pitch. Sloppy, pedestrian, totally lacking any goal threat.

Wank

Worrying when it’s our best 11 too.

We don’t have as much depth as we need.

Hopefully Keita isn’t out for long.

We miss Ox badly

Everyone's lauding us for strengthening the squad and having a good bench now. But it doesn't matter if we don't use them and our first teamer starts stinking the place.

Klopp has got a decision to make on Sun.

Everyone's lauding us for strengthening the squad and having a good bench now. But it doesn't matter if we don't use them and our first teamer starts stinking the place.

Klopp has got a decision to make on Sun.
I would with the same three up front with Milly and Henderson holding with Shaqiri playing no.10 role

Only way to get at City is attack... We have to go on the offensive

Really thought he'd make loads of changes tonight.

Hopefully this lot will get a bit of a shock and wake up for Citeh, but I'm not hopeful. I thought we might be playing ourselves into a bit of form, we haven't been playing great but been getting better results, so I had the feeling it was all going to click soon. Really hope this doesn't derail us.

We lost it in midfield. Hendo and Gini were abysmal. We had to keep going long because our midfielders just didnt make themselves available for the pass. When one of our forwards got it, there were no runners nor a midfielder to connect the passes.

To be honest - I actually think the biggest problem in our team is Hendo. I have stuck up for him in the past realizing his qualities but as an advanced forward thinking player - the guy just cannot do it. A lot has been made of those long passes that are now in his game - it's good if you can do those things at the same frequency of Alonso in a single game but doing 1 or 2 of those passes in 90 minutes does not justify a place in the team as an attacking mid. I actually think the other players don't like playing with him and realize he just slows the whole fucking thing down.

Above shit said - the midfield lacks creativity - there was a lot of space to be had in the middle today but our players did not take much advantage of it. The more pressing issue is that I have noticed that when teams want to have a go at us - and its been happening for a long time now - we just cannot retain the ball in the midfield in a comfortable way. It's either rushed or misplaced passes, but not enough quick movement and passing with accuracy or guile.

There is one positive from this game - it may just wake up the players after losing that game. They need this rocket up their arses, cannot get away with shit like this. Before anyone starts on the performance at Chelsea away on Saturday - notice how Chelsea starting moving forward and trying to beat us in the final few minutes after we scored ? - again when the opposition attacks us - we cannot retain the ball. The midfield is just workman like but no invention or anything. We desperately need to win shit this year coz I cannot see our best players staying if we don't.

He needs to take a leaf out of Ancelotti's book; drop the big stars to get a result.

And what's with bringing Sturridge on when we are struggling to even pass the ball and Napoli were going for it with some attacking subs? He should have brought on an extra defender to plug that right side long ago.

All that (deserved) criticism of Klopp and the players notwithstanding, let’s not forget the real culprit - whoever it was who stared the pre-match thread with a picture of Jovanovic and Konchesky. We had no chance.

To be honest - I actually think the biggest problem in our team is Hendo. I have stuck up for him in the past realizing his qualities but as an advanced forward thinking player - the guy just cannot do it. A lot has been made of those long passes that are now in his game - it's good if you can do those things at the same frequency of Alonso in a single game but doing 1 or 2 of those passes in 90 minutes does not justify a place in the team as an attacking mid. I actually think the other players don't like playing with him and realize he just slows the whole fucking thing down.

Today was so much worse though. He didn't even get on the ball.

When he is not recycling it, albeit back and sideways most of the time, he is a complete deadweight. He can't tackle at all and doesn't position himself near good enough defensively. Granted he chases around quite abit but against good oppositions it's just chasing shadows for him. And Napoli weren't even that good.

Today was so much worse though. He didn't even get on the ball.

When he is not recycling it, albeit back and sideways most of the time, he is a complete deadweight. He can't tackle at all and doesn't position himself near good enough defensively. Granted he chases around quite a bit but against good oppositions it's just chasing shadows for him. And Napoli weren't even that good.

I know - I actually thought they were a team of Henderson's really - but even being that shit we were more shittier !!! It was a dreadful performance tonight. We have always created chances in games under Klopp even ones we have lost - so i am kind of in shock at the lack of chances created. I cannot believe what I witnessed from a team managed by Klopp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom