• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NBA 2016/17

DeMarcus Cousins on the Pelicans
Grade: F, so far; has the possibility to be an A, though!

Here’s what Anthony Davis’s shot chart looks like when he doesn’t share the floor with DeMarcus Cousins:

0*T3OpTrIId8iLAZ9P.

That’s what you’d expect from a superstar. Here’s what Davis’s shot chart looks like when he shares the floor with Cousins:

0*Q6oX04XF6w7iMt45.

That looks like the Red Wedding. Davis is shooting 21.6 percent worse from the paint when he’s playing with Cousins, and thus, the Pelicans have been significantly worse as a team.

When Davis is on the court without Cousins, the Pelicans are outscoring teams by 4.2 points per 100 possessions,per NBA.com. Bring on Boogie, and that number plummets to minus-7.9. When Cousins is on without Brow, his performance has been relatively unchanged, but the Pelicans are even worse, at minus-17.4, per NBA.com.

We’re working with small sample sizes here, and there are other variables playing a factor, like game situation and opponent lineup units, but it’s noteworthy that, in a league where two-big lineups are vanishing in favor of small-ball units, a twin towers pairing is not working even with two of the league’s best big men sharing the floor.

The trade for Cousins was supposed to thrust the Pelicans into the playoffs, but it’s instead pushed them further down the standings. They’ll get a pass if they’re unable to click as a unit this season, since it’s not easy to integrate a central piece midseason. But Boogie and Brow need to become a dominant duo at some point, or else New Orleans will be right back to where it started prior to Cousins’s arrival.

I think it's going to take some time before they figure everything out.

I think it's going to take some time before they figure everything out.
Boogie might be the new Rudy Gay.

The guy who looks good but when he leaves his old team always gets better.

It definitely will take time for them to figure it out, but its possible it might not happe n before Boogie hits free agency.

Boogie might be the new Rudy Gay.

The guy who looks good but when he leaves his old team always gets better.

It definitely will take time for them to figure it out, but its possible it might not happe n before Boogie hits free agency.
He's an unrestricted free agent in 2018 so they've got a whole summer to try to get them to gel ahead of next season.
I haven't watched the Pelicans that much lately but they've laid some good groundwork with Davis, Holiday and Cousins.
What they're experiencing is basically the same thing, Miami, the Cavs and Golden state did, but they had a summer to figure things out.
Other than integrating two star players, the big issue here is that they're almost occupying the same space and changes are being made mid season. Davis played in the center position this whole season, so did Cousins. So the onus is on Davis making a change and playing PF.
Another factor to consider, regarding their losing record since Cousins joined, is that they've basically played top ranked teams. Raptors, Spurs, Rockets and Spurs, leaving out the Mavs and the Lakers.

They're not making the playoffs this season and have a very important summer ahead of them. They need to do something about that bench too.

Gotta love Pop:

That fight continues. Over the weekend, the Spurs announced that LaMarcus Aldridge, their starting power forward and second-leading scorer, had been ruled out indefinitely after he experienced what the team described as an occurrence of a mild heart arrhythmia. His return remains uncertain.

His absence, though, has highlighted the Spurs’ depth. Against Atlanta, for example, Lee slid into the starting lineup and scored 14 points on 7-of-8 shooting.

“I don’t want to compliment David Lee too much,” Popovich said. “I don’t want him to get a big head. I want to keep him angry and mean and wondering whether he might play or not.”

Jusuf Nurkic has been balling since was traded to the Blazers.

Could he perhaps have more potential than Jokic?

Jusuf Nurkic has been balling since was traded to the Blazers.

Could he perhaps have more potential than Jokic?

Wasn't he highly rated initially ? I know he wasn't a really high draft pick but he immediately impressed upon arriving in the NBA from my recollection of the reports at the time.

The trade is looking like a steal for the Blazers.

I never realised he was the subject of a draft trade - the Bulls can't be happy.

Nuggets land center Jusuf Nurkic, guard Gary Harris in NBA draft trade – The Denver Post
http://www.denverpost.com/2014/06/2...-nurkic-guard-gary-harris-in-nba-draft-trade/

They were both drafted in 2014, but Jokic was a draft and stash - he joined the league a year later.

Nurkic had a reasonably impressive first season, but was largely playing second fiddle to Jokic since 2015.

His stats with the Blazers (albeit a really small sample size) look even more impressive than Jokic's this season.

Cavs roster: (You're fucking kidding me)

SF: LeBron James (no.1 draft p), Richard Jefferson, James Jones
PF: Kevin Love (no.5 draft p), Derrick Williams (no.2 draft p)
C: Tristan Thompson (no.4 draft p), Larry Sanders, Channing Frye
PG: Kyrie Irving (no.1 draft p), Deron Williams (no.3 draft p), Kay Felder
SG: JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, Kyle Korver

There are no more excuses. If they get their act together I really don't see how anyone can beat them.

The starting 5:
C: Thompson
PF: Love
SF: LeBron
SG: J.R
PG: Irving

Plenty of teams can compete with that line up, Spurs, Golden state, Houston probably even Boston, Washington and Toronto.
Looking at the 2nd line up though...who's gonna be able to compete with that?

Back up:

C: Sanders (if fit) or Frye
PF: Jefferson
SF: Korver
SG: Shumpert
PG: Deron Williams

Cavs roster: (You're fucking kidding me)

SF: LeBron James (no.1 draft p), Richard Jefferson, James Jones
PF: Kevin Love (no.5 draft p), Derrick Williams (no.2 draft p)
C: Tristan Thompson (no.4 draft p), Larry Sanders, Channing Frye
PG: Kyrie Irving (no.1 draft p), Deron Williams (no.3 draft p), Kay Felder
SG: JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, Kyle Korver

There are no more excuses. If they get their act together I really don't see how anyone can beat them.

The starting 5:
C: Thompson
PF: Love
SF: LeBron
SG: J.R
PG: Irving

Plenty of teams can compete with that line up, Spurs, Golden state, Houston probably even Boston, Washington and Toronto.
Looking at the 2nd line up though...who's gonna be able to compete with that?

Back up:

C: Sanders (if fit) or Frye
PF: Jefferson
SF: Korver
SG: Shumpert
PG: Deron Williams

Well its unlikely to be as clearcut as that. And we know that typically playoff rotations rely less on depth than yhe regular season.

I'm not sure that second lineup would be great. Most of those players would be better when filling in alongside Lebron. If anything the heavy reliance on Lebron this year might have repercussions in the playoffs - would they be deep without Lebron ?

The Spurs have a lot of depth.
The Rockets have enough depth for the playoffs.
The Raptors and Celtics have enough depth to be difficult to pass in the playoffs.

If Durant is Durant the Warriors have enough too.

Well its unlikely to be as clearcut as that. And we know that typically playoff rotations rely less on depth than yhe regular season.

I'm not sure that second lineup would be great. Most of those players would be better when filling in alongside Lebron. If anything the heavy reliance on Lebron this year might have repercussions in the playoffs - would they be deep without Lebron ?

The Spurs have a lot of depth.
The Rockets have enough depth for the playoffs.
The Raptors and Celtics have enough depth to be difficult to pass in the playoffs.

If Durant is Durant the Warriors have enough too.

I don't think we're going to see many line ups without both Lebron and Kyrie. So, I guess you're right to some degree, the Cavs do rely on LeBron but the inclusion of Deron Williams at PG means that his job wouldn't be as hard. LeBron could just focus on attacking the rim.

The Spurs have depth, but most importantly they have a system which kinda overshadows their depth.
The Rockets are too reliant on Harden. Stop Harden, stop the Rockets.

If Durant manages to return and find his form in time for the playoffs, Golden State will be unstoppable and the clear favorites again.

I agree with Ross, that second unit isn't really that great.

Sanders hasn't played basketball in 2 years, and is a certified headcase anyway. Deron Williams is crap now.

Korver and Shumpert are one trick ponies, though I suppose they are useful at what they do. Jefferson and Frye are decent vets I guess.

IMO if Durant is back to full fitness, they win easily this year.

Harsh on Deron Williams - he was playing pretty good ball with the Mavs - 10-20 points a night, 5-10 assists ... That will do for a back-up PG.

I agree with Ross, that second unit isn't really that great.

Sanders hasn't played basketball in 2 years, and is a certified headcase anyway. Deron Williams is crap now.

Korver and Shumpert are one trick ponies, though I suppose they are useful at what they do. Jefferson and Frye are decent vets I guess.

IMO if Durant is back to full fitness, they win easily this year.

Deron Williams has ballin lately. Putting up some decent stats in the recent game despite barely playing due to the high score. He's slowly finding his form and is going to be key for them.

One thing people has to consider is that there are two different Cavs teams, a regular season version and an amped up playoff team.

Last edited:
There's been some leak today by an unnamed Warriors player about trouble brewing in their camp.

Apparently, some feud between the players (particulary Draymond) and Steve Kerr. Suggestions that the players wanted Luke Walton as their coach long-term.

This could have a major bearing on the playoffs, if true.

There's been some leak today by an unnamed Warriors player about trouble brewing in their camp.

Apparently, some feud between the players (particulary Draymond) and Steve Kerr. Suggestions that the players wanted Luke Walton as their coach long-term.

damn, so a few losses and they start acting up?

Oh fantastic! :) Hope they crash and burn.

Have a link for the source?

Back
Top Bottom