• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Negative Nancy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
Let's keep all the negative shit here.

All you positive cunts aren't invited.

Gary Neville: “I’m not concerned (about LFC building a dynasty). I’d be concerned if they got bought out by a super rich owner who could invest at the level of Man City. Klopp is overachieving, he hasn’t had the resources of Pep Guardiola so what he's done at Liverpool has been simply outstanding."

The top posts from reddit on the subject:

theglasscase

886 points·3 hours ago

The reality is that it’s very hard to see Liverpool not going backwards next season if they don’t invest this summer. Chelsea are spending big, City will spend like it’s business as usual, and Man Utd could potentially make up more ground if they make a couple of good signings too.
Liverpool’s squad won’t suddenly all be past their peaks, but expecting the same squad to win the league again is a big ask. The truth is their bench options aren’t strong enough, and if Klopp isn’t backed this summer it’s really unlikely that they won’t fall back towards the pack.

level 2

RoyMakaay

402 points·2 hours ago

Liverpool's offense was far from their best this season though

Cawn123

227 points·3 hours ago

The same squad could win the league next season.
The same squad will certainly not win it by any large point margin, however.

level 3

AirIndex

45 points·1 hour ago

Has any team ever won a top league two years in a row without investing in between? Even the great Utd and Barca teams had to invest in some areas.

level 4

YQB123

45 points·1 hour ago

Even the great Utd and Barca teams had to invest in some areas.​
In fact, Fergie said that was the best time to invest. The team can get complacent, and you need to continually re-invest to keep everyone in check.

level 5

AirIndex

21 points·1 hour ago

As they say in the world of RTS games, "if you're ahead, get further ahead".

level 6
TingaTingaTales

4 points·1 hour ago

Never stand still

1 more reply

level 4

midnight_ranter

29 points·1 hour ago

United failed to win the league in 94-95, didn't really invest, sold Kanchelskis, promoted a bunch of youngsters to regulars in 95-96 and somehow actually won the title But other than that I can't think of many examples. Jose, Pep and Sir Alex are the only managers to have won back to back titles in England since the PL began

level 5

AirIndex

9 points·1 hour ago

Indeed, but I suppose promoting top class youngsters, in a way, is a form of investing in the squad because they improved rapidly with each season.

level 6
Roccet_MS

8 points·1 hour ago

City won back to back without breaking the bank. They bought Riyad Mahrez after 17/18 and won the league again in 18/19. However they certainly spent big the year before that.
Chelsea bought Essien and Wright-Phillips after winning their title win Mourinho and paid a combined 75 million €.
You need to invest after a title. If you have enough squad depth, buy one or two top class players, and if you lack depth you need to adress that.

level 7
TingaTingaTales

2 points·1 hour ago

I think for 18/19 despite only making one signing it was the improvement of the ones signed the year before that propelled them on to win it again, namely Bernardo and Laporte

level 8
Roccet_MS

Score hidden·54 minutes ago

Definitely a factor. Mahrez didn't play as well as everyone expected, but 7 goals and 4 assists are nothing to be embarrassed about. He definitely contributed.

1 more reply

level 7

AirIndex

1 point·1 hour ago

I don't think teams necessarily have to break the bank to regain titles, but you generally need to improve your team in some way.

level 4

krhick

4 points·1 hour ago

I think Man United didn't buy anyone in 2000/01 when they won it for the third time in a row. The year before they didn't add that many players either. Similarly, the 'only' first team reinforcements in 08/09 were Berba and Rafael (who didn't feature that much either).

level 5

AirIndex

3 points·1 hour ago

True - the only player brought in was Barthez to replace Schmeichel.

level 4

Parish87

Score hidden·51 minutes ago

Has any team ever won a top league two years in a row without investing in between? Even the great Utd and Barca teams had to invest in some areas.​
You're right, but the same squad got 97 points last season which even though didn't win the league it's not through lack of investment with a points tally like that. We basically got a points total that would have won a league 99.9% of the time and then went and did the same the season after without investing.

More here:

Most people said that about Liverpool last year ... "they won't be able to do it again" ...
Doubters to Believers ...
I trust the manager ... Players will improve next year - be it Ox, Keita, Jones, Elliot, Gomez, TAA (uh huh) and Minamino.
I hope the board has enough sense to invest in at least one attacking player to add competition/cover to our front 3 ...
We have top 3 goalie in world, top 3 CB in world, probably best FB partnership in the world, top 5 DM in world, 2 of the best attacking players in the world ...
WIn enough games ugly again, and we'll be fine.

Another thing to consider, if we sit still, aren't looking to improve, will this impact the thoughts of big players for things like contract renewals or moves?

Top insight from that redditor in the first post.

If you don't need to invest in squad depth, don't invest in squad depth. But if you do need to, then do so.

Cracking stuff.

Well, you picked some day to start this thread. On the day we lift the Premier league trophy for the first time in 30 years.

Great stuff.

I'm sorry, didn't know it was some kind of religious holiday today. I should have worn my best suit and asked for a day off work.

If you're so anti discussing stuff that your solution is to shut everything you don't like down then why bother even posting in this thread?

Another thing to consider, if we sit still, aren't looking to improve, will this impact the thoughts of big players for things like contract renewals or moves?
Probably. I don't know what the players agendas are. I've seen several players declare their love for Liverpool then fuck off as soon as the boat started rocking.
One things is for certain most players aren't Mathew LeTissier, they want to compete with the best.

I'm sorry, didn't know it was some kind of religious holiday today. I should have worn my best suit and asked for a day off work.

If you're so anti discussing stuff that your solution is to shut everything you don't like down then why bother even posting in this thread?

Yeah, I’ll be enjoying football tonight.

Jesus christ. Delete this shit. Imagine being so partial to the internet that you feel we need a counter argument to a great night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom