• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Next (permanent) England manger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rafa had hardly any time whatsoever with the Chelsea side he won the Europa League with. He took over at the end of November, had league games constantly throughout & won the cup with them six months later.

His tactics & game plans are relatively simple, it's his ability to match tactics & sides to opponents so well in cups that gives him that record imo.

Rafa had hardly any time whatsoever with the Chelsea side he won the Europa League with. He took over at the end of November, had league games constantly throughout & won the cup with them six months later.

His tactics & game plans are relatively simple, it's his ability to match tactics & sides to opponents so well in cups that gives him that record imo.

He had all week - nearly every week - to work with them for six months. We are talking about him taking on a squad for one or two weeks at a time, a month or two apart, that has the potential to be much changed each time depending on form and fitness.

I worry that with limited time to work with the squad and his reputation for being tinkerman the team wouldn't get enough time to settle. Managing a national team is a vastly different animal to managing a club side.

Add in the fact that England are a real fragile bunch and Rafa isn't known for his man management; I'm not convinced it would be as plain sailing as some of you guys think.

Nope, there's no way the FA would appoint him, as I said when I first suggested it earlier, his face doesn't fit.

CtgaHeyXgAA-QbM.jpg

Rafa is flying these days!

Perversely, another positive thing, potentially, for him would be the fact that he would only deal with the players for a few games. His tactical intensity wears players down at club level after a while, a point to which several of our players have attested, whereas players might actually welcome the short, sharp, sessions he'd give for one-off matches.

No. But it may have to be a foreign manager, unless there is a standout in the current England set up.
  • Eddie Howe
  • Sean Dyche
  • Alan Pardew
  • Mike Phelan
Hardly an inspiring list of English managers at the 'top level'.

Steve Bruce you can add to that list.

Personally I think they'll offer it to Arsene Wenger to take over at the end of the season, with Southgate as Assistant Manager, carrying on as Caretaker until then. I think that's the FA's preferred route.

Personally I think they'll offer it to Arsene Wenger to take over at the end of the season, with Southgate as Assistant Manager, carrying on as Caretaker until then. I think that's the FA's preferred route.

It's Englishmen currently working in the Premiership.

He would have been if Hull had backed him in the transfer market

Aye and Mike Phelan wouldn't have been. Splitting hairs though, England is a level above both of them.

If you want a track record and top level experience, you can't go English I'm afraid - the managers just aren't there anymore.

I'm tending increasingly to that view too after hearing Wenger make a point of saying yesterday that he's focused on Arsenal "for now".

Wonder whether this was the preferred option of bigwigs at the FA all along and whether Fat Sam might have survived otherwise.

I'm tending increasingly to that view too after hearing Wenger make a point of saying yesterday that he's focused on Arsenal "for now".

Wonder whether this was the preferred option of bigwigs at the FA all along and whether Fat Sam might have survived otherwise.

There was plenty of stories about Wenger being favourite for the job after Hodgson left, but he's linked to the England job when any manager leaves.

Rafa's 'poor' man management is exactly any he should manage a national side. His problem has always been that his players lose motivation after a while. With a national side they wont have enough time to find that cold shoulder. Im the meantime his tactical genius will prove a wonder

So both Wenger and ponchettino have said they are open to the England job when their free.

Of the two, hopefully ponchettino gets it as hes got a pretty good thing going at spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom