• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our new Left Beck

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
[article]Dundee Football Club can confirm that Liverpool have recalled Owen Beck and his loan with Dundee has ended. Owen signed on loan for Dundee in the summer and quickly became an important player for The Dee putting in fantastic performances. His great displays led to him being called up to the Welsh National squad for the first time and he has received many plaudits for his performances.

With the January transfer window now open Liverpool FC have executed their right to recall Owen from his season-long loan deal. Owen will be greatly missed by everyone at Dundee FC as he has been outstanding both on and off the field. We would like to thank Owen for all he has given to Dundee FC and we wish him all the very best for the future. Owen will always be welcomed back in Dundee and at the Scot Foam Stadium at Dens Park.
[/article]

He definitely stands out (scroll to 1:34 + last minute assist). Overall 17 games, 2 goals and 2 assists in the SPL this season. Interesting that he has never been subbed - every single game he played is full 90 minutes.

He is ahead of Chambers and Scanlon at this point; probably goes straight into the team for cup games.

Last edited:
We’ve just recalled him right? I wonder if we’ll use the FA Cup and/or League Cup games to get him into the squad.

Do we think he’ll be ahead of Chambers in the pecking order?

We’ve just recalled him right? I wonder if we’ll use the FA Cup and/or League Cup games to get him into the squad.

Do we think he’ll be ahead of Chambers in the pecking order?
Yep, he'll definitely be ahead of Chambers who, lets be honest, hasn't impressed.

How much game time? Depends on his performance in training and if Gomez stays fit.
If we get past Arsenal in the FA cup and play Havant Waterloo next, I'm sure both Bradley and Beck start. If we beat Fulham by 5 goals in the first semi final, he'll start the away game probably.
In short, he'll be acting as cover for both Gomez and Robbo.

Yep, he'll definitely be ahead of Chambers who, lets be honest, hasn't impressed.

How much game time? Depends on his performance in training and if Gomez stays fit.
If we get past Arsenal in the FA cup and play Havant Waterloo next, I'm sure both Bradley and Beck start. If we beat Fulham by 5 goals in the first semi final, he'll start the away game probably.
In short, he'll be acting as cover for both Gomez and Robbo.
Robbo not expected back in the month of January according to the BBC

Robbo not expected back in the month of January according to the BBC
Yeah I read that too, but Gomez will be the first choice left back until he's back obviously.
I'd love to see Beck come in and be a revelation carrying on Rushie's legacy but mid season?
Doubt it.

Not a good sign this, recalling a bunch of a kids we know aren’t good enough. Feels like Klopp’s been told no on the possibility of any transfers and is left with scraps again.

Chambers to Dundee as replacement I’m guessing?

Would be funny if this was our response:

Pm-EaM.gif

Remember the last time we brought in a full back from the kids to fill a gap when Clyne picked up an injury ...

Not a good sign this, recalling a bunch of a kids we know aren’t good enough. Feels like Klopp’s been told no on the possibility of any transfers and is left with scraps again.
It’s one recall (the Carvalho recall is just a break down of the loan - he’ll go out again no doubt).

I’m good for Beck and Bradley covering Trent and Gomez for now with the promise that Robbo is back in Feb (thus freeing up Gomez again).

It could also be the case that Klopp has identified where he wants to strengthen (ie. LCB / RW) and is keeping the budget protected for the right player.

And how do you know this? What knee-jerk boring response.

We actually have a nice pipeline of left backs coming through and Robbo will still be first choice for a couple of years and Tsimikas is also a strong option. No point in spending money here. Many other priorities including the right side.

And how do you know this? What knee-jerk boring response.

We actually have a nice pipeline of left backs coming through and Robbo will still be first choice for a couple of years and Tsimikas is also a strong option. No point in spending money here. Many other priorities including the right side.
I don’t, just saying it’s what it smells like.

We’re short in numbers, recalling a few kids does nothing to help our situation. We need 1 or 2 quality additions to push on.

Of course Robbo comes straight back in, or Kostas whoever comes back first. Gomez has done well at LB (besides Luton) but he should be our first choice RB right now.

Of course Robbo comes straight back in, or Kostas whoever comes back first. Gomez has done well at LB (besides Luton) but he should be our first choice RB right now.
I don't think it's that simple. Gomez isn't playing in his natural position and in two games has already outperformed Robbo imo, who has had an average season. It would be unfair to just toss Gomez aside if he keeps playing like this.

Last edited:
I don't think it's that simple. Gomez isn't playing in his natural position and in two games has already outperformed Robbo imo who's had average season. It would be unfair to just toss Gomez aside if he keeps playing like this.

We need balance, going back to a flat back 4 does that and Robbo will be better for it. Gomez has also outperformed Trent in the RB position in all aspects which doesn’t involve hollywood passing, moving him over there isnt tossing him aside….he’s played better at RB and it’s a position more natural to him.

We need balance, going back to a flat back 4 does that and Robbo will be better because of that. Gomez has also outperformed Trent in the RB position in all aspects which doesn’t involve hollywood passing, moving him over there isnt tossing him aside….he’s played better at RB and it’s a position more natural to him.

I genuinely think Gomez is giving us better balance due to the inversion of Trent, than Robbo has given us ever in this system

I genuinely think Gomez is giving us better balance due to the inversion of Trent, than Robbo has given us ever in this system
Yes, remember how Arbeloa managed to stop Messi in that away game in Barcelona?
Rafa deployed him as a left back.
In some cases playing a right footed defender at left back makes it more difficult for modern wingers who try to cut inside order to create chances.

Yes, remember how Arbeloa managed to stop Messi in that away game in Barcelona?
Rafa deployed him as a left back.
In some cases playing a right footed defender at left back makes it more difficult for modern wingers who try to cut inside order to create chances.

Yep 100%. We’ve seen opponents do this against Mo too.

Gomez is first choice for now which is great as it means we can ease Robbo back. It’s a great rest for Robbo who never gets find off, and without having any leg injuries so full controlled rest & recovery. I expect him to come back flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom