• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Philips leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klopp's on record as saying that big Nat is second only to Lewandowski among the players he;s managed in terms of sheer improvement.

West Ham... nailed on..

They are going to love him.. They are going to become unplayable on set pieces. They almost are...

I know you need pace to play our system but Nat is a way more reliable defender than Gomez. Shame he's leaving

He can also run head first into a brick wall without getting injured. Gomez gets ligament damage even when his socks are to tight.

Rather sell Gomez, Nat is reliable 4. Gomez gets injured if the wind turns
Started reading this and was just about to post the same thing... :D
Will add though because Gomez has played more games than Philips If we sold him to Newcastle we could get a lot more than the talked about £25 million. £40m, possible £50m

Agreed. Even with his lack of pace I'd keep him over Gomez. Gomez has had a couple of very good seasons but he's incredibly injury prone. Nat might not be the priciest but he was excellent at the tail end of last season. We won 8 of our last 10 games last season and I'm pretty sure the two we drew were the two he didn't play. VVD, Matip and Konate should rightfully be ahead of him but he's good enough to play a chunk of games any season.

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot West Ham fans making noise about Philips. I hope we fleece them. Could possibly start a bidding war.

Liverpool have put a £15m price tag on 24-year-old English centre-back Nat Phillips. (Athletic)
£15m is really rather low for a young reliable defender.
I would rather sell Gomez, who just isn't worth his salary as he is out so often.

It's partly a reward for Nat's professionalism and partly a recognition of the fact that prospective buyers know he's some distance away from a regular starting place. At a club like ours, even good players like him can find themselves in this sort of situation.

It's partly a reward for Nat's professionalism and partly a recognition of the fact that prospective buyers know he's some distance away from a regular starting place. At a club like ours, even good players like him can find themselves in this sort of situation.
He'd be starter for mid table clubs. He doesn't have pace but his game interlect is developing and making up for that. Besides, I wouldn't offload anyone unless we know we're getting replacements

Your first two sentences are a good summary of why he'll probably end up at one of those clubs. Gomez looks like fourth choice now and I wouldn't blame the club if they take the view that he's fit enough for that role, given that it'll mean him playing less often than the others.

Liverpool have put a £15m price tag on 24-year-old English centre-back Nat Phillips. (Athletic)
I would rather sell Gomez, who just isn't worth his salary as he is out so often.
His value isn't going to go up, and there's a few teams desperate for a decent cb. 15m is sensible bait. Might even provoke a bidding war

& Who's paying us 30-40m for Gomez given how much football he's missed over the last 18 months?

I think if we can get 20m for Phillips that'd be good business seeing as we were ready to let him leave on a free 12 months ago.

If Ben White was worth 50m with an English premium then 15m is nowhere near enough for Nat.

I get where you're coming from, Dan, but the Arse not only are serial overpayers but also were in desperate need of something approximating to a centre-back. Ideally we'd want more for Nat but, as I said, I suspect the fee we've set is a conscious (if slight) undervaluation to make it easier for him to find the right move.

Ben White is younger, and had continually impressed on the championship on loan, and for Brighton last year. Nat Phillips has has a 4 month spell where he was good. I fail to see how people are confused by this

Ben White is younger, and had continually impressed on the championship on loan, and for Brighton last year. Nat Phillips has has a 4 month spell where he was good. I fail to see how people are confused by this
Actually they are both 24 yrs old.

This.

And its also pretty clear that Klopp doesn't rate him.

Actually they are both 24 yrs old.

Fair enough then. Nat only broke in to the first team last year, and a 2 month period where klopp tried Henderson and Fabinho ahead of him.

People expecting more than 15m for a player who this time last year wasn't deemed good enough to be our 7th choice centre back are insane

Naldini is forever a cult hero, but is he fuck worth what some of you are saying. This time last year people would have bitten the hand off someone offering 10mil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom