• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Plymouth Away FA Cup match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their natural game is too slow, too undisciplined and too imprecise, which is why they soon revert to it. Good habits come up from youth level, and at the moment youth level is way too loose.

We certainly lack the beautiful solipsists likeOwen who'd think 'feck the two other players this is MY moment!'
Well we had two players making runs constantly instead of meeting the ball.
Do you remember how Woodburn scored? All due to the unselfishness of Wijnaldum.

Mission accomplished, win, clean sheet and no injuries. Also nice to see Gomez play, and Coutinho get a few more minutes under his belt. Although, it is a little disappointing that Origi and Sturridge couldn't score against a third division team.

Well we had two players making runs constantly instead of meeting the ball.
Do you remember how Woodburn scored? All due to the unselfishness of Wijnaldum.

I do indeed, which is why I advocated playing experienced players in key positions alongside the kids.

Karius – 5.5 Made one good save, but then showed a complete inability to catch a high ball in the 2nd half, flapping not once, not twice, but three times within a 15 minute spell. Won't cut it in England unless this element of his game significantly improves.

TAA – 7. Positive in attack and made a couple of goal-saving tackles.
Gomez – 6.5. Not an error-free performance, but I like his style and can see why Klopp rates him. He is confident with the ball, doesn't hack it clear when a pass is available or there is space for him to run in. I'm excited to see how he progresses here.
Lucas – 7.5 MOM. Finally showing glimpses of his attacking talent. This kid might come good.
Moreno – 6.5. Won some headers, which was surprising and got forward well a couple of times (+0.5 for the penalty). As usual wasn't good at preventing crosses from his flank.

Stewart – 6. I thought he did his job all right.
Ejaria – 6. A bit quiet, but kept things ticking. Maybe people expect more from him because he makes the game look so easy.
Coutinho – 6.5. Everything went through him, but Plymouth did a good job of anticipating his passes and blocking his movement and the teammates' movement was not good enough to find a breakthrough.

Woodburn – 6. At times in the first half he was completely invisible – I guess he waited for the ball to find him up front, but the ball never came. Dropped deeper and saw more of the ball in the 2nd half, surprisingly even playing as a CM for the last 20 minutes or so and did pretty well keeping possession and starting attacking moves. Still not clear what Klopp thinks about his best position.
Sturridge – 5.5. His performance reminded me of Benteke in the FA cup last season – same utter lack of chemistry with teammates. What happened, Daniel? When he first came to Liverpool, what impressed me the most about him was his sharp interplay with the teammates – he saw the pitch very well, passed in the right moment and made runs in the right moment. Now even him and Coutinho were at sixes and sevens.
Origi – 5. Nothing was really working for him today and the awful penalty (you could see the lack of confidence in his eyes before he took it) summed up his night. One glimpse of quality with the nice turn and shot in the injury time.

Subs:
Wilson – 6.5. Almost scored after Plymouth keeper's mistake and showed some nice interplay with Woodburn.
Ojo – 7. Created danger every time he got the ball. Certainly made the case for some more minutes in the future.

Last edited:
It was funny watching Gerrard interact with Warnock in the post match. He clearly hates the fucking twat. He (and LFC with Rafa) have a bit of form with Warnock and it showed. At least to me it did. I could see Gerrard getting more and more annoyed and Macca turns up from the 'gantry' to squash him in a scouse sandwitch. Then rather inexpicably the brainless Warnock makes a 'quip' about how noone in Liverpool have windows or something. The look of thunder on Gerrards face was hilarious as it cut to break with Macca equally stunned. Jake 'Polo neck' anchor tried to make light of it but it was too late. Cut to break again and when they come back Jake 'polo' - "well I'm glad you are all finally seeing Neil Warnock back on your screens".......... I seriously doubt he'll ever get on again......:D

Thought both Woodburn and Gomez were very good.
Very disapointed with Sturridge. Didnt contribute at all.
TAA was impressive yet again.
Dont think we need to sign a back up right back as this kid will be very good.

Very disapointed with Sturridge. Didnt contribute at all.

Respectfully disagree. He worked harder than I've seen him play in a long time. I lost count of the amount times I saw the 15 shirt tracking back and covering gaps. He may not have been at his best but he certainly put a shift in.

Karius 6 - 1 good save but otherwise looked nervy,
TAA 7 - One of the few better ones.
Lucas 6 - got the goal but defensively he was poor
Gomez 5 - struggled with the physicality of Garita all game.
Moreno 6 - 7 going forward, 5 for his defensive display.
Ejaria 8 - MOTM performance.
Phil 7 - just delighted he's back.
Stewart 5 - I think he's actually regressed from last season? Just not good enough sadly.
Woodburn 6 - the kid's not ready, that was clear to see from first game.
Origi 4 - worst game in a red shirt.
Sturridge 5 - no one bothered to pick their head up to look for sturridge which makes him look bad because he's not involved in the game.

Ojo 7 - Lively.
Wilson 7 - Lively.

All in all a crap tie, another poor performance....their keeper won't have a quieter evening all season.

Respectfully disagree. He worked harder than I've seen him play in a long time. I lost count of the amount times I saw the 15 shirt tracking back and covering gaps. He may not have been at his best but he certainly put a shift in.

Yeah, maybe the work rate was there. But there just wasnt anything happening upfront and in a game like this he should definetly look hellbent on scoring.
He was very little effective and didnt stake a claim for a run in the team.

Yeah, maybe the work rate was there. But there just wasnt anything happening upfront and in a game like this he should definetly look hellbent on scoring.

When he did sprint to press, I noticed that a few times his momentum took him too far and he had trouble changing direction quickly. That's not like him and not a good sign for a striker, or any player for that matter.

After seeing the highlights and assuming that what I saw included the best of us - then all I can say is that if Klopp does not go out and add some to his squad - then he is a fucking dickhead. We clearly need more options and tonight's game just highlights the fact that we need more players.

After seeing the highlights and assuming that what I saw included the best of us - then all I can say is that if Klopp does not go out and add some to his squad - then he is a fucking dickhead. We clearly need more options and tonight's game just highlights the fact that we need more players.

LOL

Yep - I get your point. But he was working next to kids and had Moreno (shit) supplying the chances. I think he should be given a little latitude. No worries though man. We all see things diffently. I can see your point though. He's a goal scorer after all. I just thought he did well given his 'normal' type of game and the tools he had to work with. :)

Can't help but feel that Gomez looks much more talented at fullback then CB. Far too early to be judging properly given that he's just come back but I do have a hunch.

Sturridge was Garb, as was Origi.

Only Lucas and TAA played well tonight.

The rest were average>>shite.

I said after the first game, it was just an extra game for our backups and reserves. We're through, Coutinho got some well needed minutes on the pitch and almost our entire starting XI were rested. I mean they didn't even travel.
So unless Cameroon and FIFA gives us a positive answer about Matip this week, it's going to be pretty easy to determine our starting line up against Swansea.

The celebrations after the goal is imo a testiment to how well liked Lucas is in the squad. Just look at Gomez.

Karius - 6 - one good save, and bar the one spill, seems to be regaining his confidence.

TAA - 8 - MoTM - really good defending, some good balls into the box and in general, he seems like he belongs. He'll need more games before he has the confidence to deal with the big games, but he'll make it.

Lucas - 7.5 - happy for him. Goal and solid performance. I hope he can lift a few more cups before he moves back home.

Gomez - 6.5 - still off pace a little bit but you can see he oozes class. Wonder if he should go out on loan next year when healthy ...

Moreno - 6.5 - he wasn't bad - few mistakes in the back, but I just worry with him on the pitch. His set pieces are terrible, and I hope someone gives us 12 for him in the summer.

Stewart - 6 - sloppy with the ball but he wins it often, and his passing isn't that bad - over eagerness to impress? Solid squad player.

Ejaria - 6 - pressed well, took up good positions and passed well. So why a 6? He seemed to take the easy option every time passing wise ... He's got the talent - and unless that was orders from Klopp, he really should push himself to create more.

Coutinho - 7 - class player. That pass to TAA was money - though short on 2 of his longer passes on potential fast breaks.

Origi - 5 - Tough game for strikers. Right attitude, but just not his night and his penalty was terrible.

Studge - 5 - Tough game for strikers. Tried, looked for the ball and had a nice shot off a 1-2 with Origi. His face when he left is one of total frustration - with himself, with his team and with his manager. Ryan's thread is one to read ... We only see the player he could have been for one year ... pity.

Woodburn - 6 - I thought he was poor the 1st half - struggled to get touches and was rather invisible. Picked it up in the 2nd half and was far more prominent in the build up play. I think he has to play more centrally and behind the striker against Wolves.

Subs -
Wilson - 6 - he's ready to be more involved in the 1st team. Needs a loan ...
Ojo - 7 - went after tired legs constantly.

A little too generous for me LTW.

Karius 6 - the one spill wasn't his fault since he was fouled, having an arm pulled away.
TAA 7 - wasteful with a few balls into the box that went high and long. He can cross much better than that.
Lucas - 7 - you can see why he's so liked (except on 8CM of course).
Gomez - 7 - I think this was an excellent return for him. not perfect, but very good. The opposition wasn't of the highest quality but they were powerful and he seemed to cope well with that. High hopes.
Moreno - 6 - meh.
Stewart - 6 - sloppy balanced with some good tackling.
Ejaria - 5 - not his best game for me. Didn't put himself out there though didn't do much wrong.
Coutinho - 6 - two terribly wasted breaks. The second one was especially frustrating, we had 2 on 1 and he landed his pass right on the defender sitting between them. Don't think he worked a single opening for himself, every shot being blocked. Good he got 60 mins though and everything else was typical Coutinho, adds much to the team by spreading play and bringing others into the game.
Origi - 4 - poor game. Didn't do much even when in possession. One to forget.
Sturridge - 4 - poor game. We all saw it. See Ryan's post above.
Woodburn - 6 - I understand giving him a game but we're not going to see the best of him if he's played out of position, because he's not a winger nor a deep lying play-maker. Still at 16 (as the commentator said - I thought he was 17, still a baby anyway) this was an invaluable experience.

Subs
Wilson - 6 - I want to see more of him !
Ojo - 7.5 - I can't give him MotM for the limited time he was on the pitch but he was very refreshing and created all sorts of danger.

Klopp - I want to give him a 9 for the team selection but a 4 for the tactics though I'd add one to that for switching our attack to pace to nullify Plymouth, who were coming into the game, and put them onto the back foot. Previously we simply didn't get behind them enough though and had continued the same passing around in front of them with little penetration we'd seen at Anfield.

Last edited:
Both games were dire to watch. Well done to Plymouth for gaining a financial windfall, very sensibly done of course, but It doesn't follow one therefore has to applaud the football. Will Wolves be much the same story? Probably. Maybe they should just report it in the FT rather than inflict it on an audience.

I'm not sure what positives can be gleaned from the two ties for us. Alexander-Arnold showed he's got real potential, and Ojo evidently got a kick up the arse from Klopp after his poor effort last time. That should do him some good, but it's depressing to think he needed it. Coutinho got some game time. But Moreno did nothing to suggest he's learnt anything from being on the sidelines, Woodburn just showed that he's less capable outside the box than in it, Ejaria was just woeful, twice, Gomez obviously needs quite a few more reserve games to build up his strength and regain his rhythm, and Karius didn't really have much chance to alter anyone's opinion of him. And did I mention how boring it all was? Yes.

I didn't find the game boring ... I dunno - I enjoy watching these games and seeing how the kids are coming along.
Dunno, happy with the 1-0 win.

Both games were dire to watch. Well done to Plymouth for gaining a financial windfall, very sensibly done of course, but It doesn't follow one therefore has to applaud the football. Will Wolves be much the same story? Probably. Maybe they should just report it in the FT rather than inflict it on an audience.

I'm not sure what positives can be gleaned from the two ties for us. Alexander-Arnold showed he's got real potential, and Ojo evidently got a kick up the arse from Klopp after his poor effort last time. That should do him some good, but it's depressing to think he needed it. Coutinho got some game time. But Moreno did nothing to suggest he's learnt anything from being on the sidelines, Woodburn just showed that he's less capable outside the box than in it, Ejaria was just woeful, twice, Gomez obviously needs quite a few more reserve games to build up his strength and regain his rhythm, and Karius didn't really have much chance to alter anyone's opinion of him. And did I mention how boring it all was? Yes.

I don't think Ejaria was 'just woeful' in either game. He started the Anfield game brightly and some of his passing was causing them problems. Then, like the whole team, he became stultified and predictable. In the last game I concur with LTW's ratings. He did his job and kept things ticking along without ever showing that special something that we've seen before in him. He wasn't great, but neither was he woeful.

I don't really have much to add in terms on post match analysis, but Origi's penalty was one of the worst penalties I've ever seen, fucking awful.

I didn't find the game boring ... I dunno - I enjoy watching these games and seeing how the kids are coming along.
Dunno, happy with the 1-0 win.

If you watched the kids every week, as I do, you already know how they're coming along, and all you're watching in these games is them looking far worse than usual.

Of course, if we end up winning a trophy then it all has been worthwhile, but if we fall short, yet again, then that's just been a waste of time. Same goes for the league cup. We must have bored neutral fans to tears sometimes in Europe when Houllier and Rafa was in charge. We were right to not give a toss, and everyone else was right to call it shit on a stick.

But in general this FA Cup is looking like a dead horse that's been flogged (to sponsors) one too many times. Maybe they should give all lower division sides the home tie, or revamp the whole thing, but it's a really dull spectacle these days and more noticeable as a source of fixture congestion than of excitement on the pitch. I gather the FA is now banning replays from the quarter final stage onwards - what ridiculously arbitrary tinkering that is. What they need to do is stop thinking that 'the magic of the cup' can somehow be miraculously recovered merely by the straining of TV hype and actually get to grips with improving the tournament. Personally I'd happily scrap it.

Didnt think it was dire or boring either. Was a good chance to see the younger players get some much needed experience and some of the senior players got some match fitness.
Home Park was rocking and a league two club got some financial help. All good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom