• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Leicester (H) - Fri 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
A win's a win. The MF is log though and, as much as Capt Chaos is ace, he does suffer a rectal prolapse within 12 yard of the net.

Elliott, Hendo, Thiago is not a very good midfield set up.
I would be shocked if we dont sign a midfielder in January.
We’re so short and unbalanced.

Yeah, it’s concerning - we only lose 1 first-choice player out of the 3, Hendo is our go-to sub for Fabinho - should be business as usual, but instead we lose any semblance of balance and coherence. Thank God Thiago decided to return to his world-class level today or it would have been much uglier.

Last edited:
Is it time to bring back the name “Horrenderson”?

Why the fuck did we give him a new contract?

We really lacked a Wijnaldum type player today who just keeps it simple and can help control the game their ball retention, physicality and aggression. That was exposed because of the Fabinho issue, but it's a gaping hole nonetheless. Leicester were marching through our midfield with ease, sending our CBs into a collective panic. It needs addressing this window. In the mean time Keita should be ahead of Elliott in any pecking order now he's fit.

Trents one on one defending was nice takeaway from this evening, as was the effort and quality Thiago produced. There's nothing new to say about Nunez, but you can't fault his attitude, willingness to run, persistence and involvement. There's good reason the match going fans are fully behind him.

Salah, Henderson, Robertson and Chamberlain all had a night to forget.

They keep talking about it being great for the neutral end to end stuff but it was a really low quality game. Some of the passing in that game, the suicidal cross field ones in particular, was the worst I’ve seen for a while.

Thiago was just about the only bright spot and even he was guilty of some dodgy moments.

Nunez was decent but that’s three games in a row of missing chance after chance. Got bailed out today on one occasion but he needs to step it up.

Henderson was just awful. Matip all over the place, VVD average and Robertson not at the races. TAA better defensively but very frustrating with his passing like the rest of the team.

Elliot I’m sorry to say just isn’t ready to start for us at the moment. I really want to like him but he just doesn’t offer enough. Too lightweight, lacking defensively and the technical side doesn’t come through strongly enough to compensate. In a fully functioning side maybe but for now subs only feels like best solution.

And the high line needs to go. I don’t know how much more evidence Klopp needs.

Can we please stop with this experiment of Elliott starting games for us, especially when Bajcetic is sat on the bench.

I like Elliott, but he’s not up to the standard we need yet - he needs a loan to a PL club imo.

Elliot was the worst of the lot for me today. Henderson, Ox, Robertson were horrible but atleast they were involved. Elliott could not even get into the game. There was a point in the first 10 minutes or so, where Elliott displayed decent skill and nutmegged a Leicester midfielder who did a simple body check and Elliott was sprawled on the floor. He also lacks the pace to peel away from an opposition player. Even if he has a headstart, the opposition players catch up to him. Not quite sure how a loan would solve his lack of physicality and speed.

Technically he is good. He also seems to have a good tactical understanding of the game. Last year, when the midfield and right hand side was purring, he was very good in that right midfield role. When there is movement and pace around him, he can use his vision and passing ability to keep things ticking. But I don't think he can contribute in a team which is struggling.

Matip’s defending is worrying at times this season, slow to react and consistently being pulled out of his position.
His forays into attack also leave us really exposed when he gets tackled and left us even more open
on the counter even though in the past it has been a weapon.
It’s been happening more and more lately and doesn’t help an already fragile Trent at the moment.
If Konate is not fit then stick Phillipd in there, Matip needs to sit Brentford out.

Last edited:
Can we please stop with this experiment of Elliott starting games for us, especially when Bajcetic is sat on the bench.

I like Elliott, but he’s not up to the standard we need yet - he needs a loan to a PL club imo.
Agreed but Klopp seems to love the guy. Not seen anything myself to suggest he’ll become any more than decent.

Konate to start against Brentford, Fabinho back and maybe, god forbid, Kieta to start as well?

I presume Robertson will be out injured - does Gakpo make the bench and do we persist with Ox up front?

So many aging players means so many problems.

Thank heavens we are out of the Rumbelows.

Our CL squad us exhausted partly from winning rubber cups.

Yep somebody needs to cup those Viking balls for him!

Konate to start against Brentford, Fabinho back and maybe, god forbid, Kieta to start as well?

I presume Robertson will be out injured - does Gakpo make the bench and do we persist with Ox up front?
Klopp has his doubts he'll be registered in time (lazy buggers not back at work after NYE).

Nunez reminds me of Andy Cole - the early years, when he would comically miss LOADS of chances and open goals, until Sheringham came along to be his teddy bear.

It’s great to see that Nunez can spot and execute a pass like that. He has a lot of strings in his bow.

[article]"There are a lot of similarities [to Lewandowski] to be honest," Klopp said of Nunez.
"I think Lewy would tell the same story. We had shooting sessions where he didn't finish off one.
"We had bets all the time for 10 euros - 'if you score more than 10 times, I will pay you 10; if you don't, you have to pay me'. My pocket was full of money!
"It's all about staying calm. When you see the potential, stay calm. I think we all agree that the potential is so obvious.[/article]

Nunez reminds me of Andy Cole - the early years, when he would comically miss LOADS of chances and open goals, until Sheringham came along to be his teddy bear.
Much closer to home, he reminds me of Suarez who was just as profligate in front of goal when first came.

Last edited:
I think this is where we are at with a few of these players now, lads like Henderson, Robbo, Thiago, Fabinho, Salah, Matip, VVD, they've all been top players but they are past the peak days of putting in at least a 7 every week. Now it's a blinder, followed by mediocrity, and so on. Injuries creeping in more frequently, sluggish displays. None of them are consistent, it's now about balance and getting the right blend of ability, mobility and performance. You can use these players and get the best from them, but it's about managing minutes well, which is a tough call for us until we can bring in reinforcements.

The midfield issues are well documented, but despite having a few forwards available, we've not had much in reserve to kill games, with the injuries to Diaz and Jota, if Bobby goes we seriously need to be monitoring the fitness of these two, we can't have another Keita situation on our hands. Something has to give with them both. Diaz I'll give the benefit of the doubt to, but Jota's record has been pretty dire for a while now.

Klopp needs to use Bajetic more too, he has options there, but he needs to use them. Elliott struggled yesterday and is yet to find his best position, but his quality is obvious, he'll come good, but again, we need to use him cleverly and not play him to plug a gap, as seems the case alot of the time. Carvalho is a good player too, but he's too lightweight at this stage, let him develop by using him sparingly, against tired legs, in games that are already won, etc. But Bajetic looks like he has the ability to step in and get more time. Doak needs a few minutes here and there too.

The problem is that I don’t think Klopp has the luxury of bedding them in. None of the younger guys are ready to play from the start at the moment but the squad is thin, senior players are letting us down and every game is more or less a must win right now in terms of league position and confidence.

Would be nice if we had some genuine athletes in the reserves rather than the wishy washy 6/10 “technicians”.

TAA on Nunez :

“I think I speak on behalf of all the lads: he’s been, I think, outstanding since he came in. “People will judge him on his goals and that’s part of being a striker, that’s part of life. But I think he can keep walking off the pitch with his head held high because he is getting in positions that are really, really hurting the opposition.

“He’s such a threat, he’s getting in behind, he’s holding the ball up, he’s flicking balls on, he’s doing everything that the manager has asked of him. His pressing, his attitude, his desire, you can’t question any of it.

“You’ll get people who will say he’s missed a few chances and he's missed one-on-ones and maybe he should have tucked the second goal away, but he’s getting himself in those positions and when the goals do come I’m sure they will come like London buses! We’re just waiting for that but he’s a fantastic lad and he’s an outstanding player as well.”

I think this is where we are at with a few of these players now, lads like Henderson, Robbo, Thiago, Fabinho, Salah, Matip, VVD, they've all been top players but they are past the peak days of putting in at least a 7 every week. Now it's a blinder, followed by mediocrity, and so on. Injuries creeping in more frequently, sluggish displays. None of them are consistent, it's now about balance and getting the right blend of ability, mobility and performance. You can use these players and get the best from them, but it's about managing minutes well, which is a tough call for us until we can bring in reinforcements.

The midfield issues are well documented, but despite having a few forwards available, we've not had much in reserve to kill games, with the injuries to Diaz and Jota, if Bobby goes we seriously need to be monitoring the fitness of these two, we can't have another Keita situation on our hands. Something has to give with them both. Diaz I'll give the benefit of the doubt to, but Jota's record has been pretty dire for a while now.

Klopp needs to use Bajetic more too, he has options there, but he needs to use them. Elliott struggled yesterday and is yet to find his best position, but his quality is obvious, he'll come good, but again, we need to use him cleverly and not play him to plug a gap, as seems the case alot of the time. Carvalho is a good player too, but he's too lightweight at this stage, let him develop by using him sparingly, against tired legs, in games that are already won, etc. But Bajetic looks like he has the ability to step in and get more time. Doak needs a few minutes here and there too.
Seen abit of the "been there done that" attitude creeping in. When a stray ball ricochets and looked like it's tickling out, none of our players make an effort anymore. They just stroll along assuming it's going out. When an opposing player makes a dash for it and gets to it, we start reacting, albeit too late because that player is coming at us full tilt. We just look too laboured and reactive more often than not. We definitely need some new blood to inject abit more energy, especially in midfield.

Seen abit of the "been there done that" attitude creeping in. When a stray ball ricochets and looked like it's tickling out, none of our players make an effort anymore. They just stroll along assuming it's going out. When an opposing player makes a dash for it and gets to it, we start reacting, albeit too late because that player is coming at us full tilt. We just look too laboured and reactive more often than not. We definitely need some new blood to inject abit more energy, especially in midfield.

Quite, we've definitely become more reactionary, rather than taking the initiative.

The problem is that I don’t think Klopp has the luxury of bedding them in. None of the younger guys are ready to play from the start at the moment but the squad is thin, senior players are letting us down and every game is more or less a must win right now in terms of league position and confidence.

Would be nice if we had some genuine athletes in the reserves rather than the wishy washy 6/10 “technicians”.
So maybe the younger players are ready/better to play from start, then. We’ve been here before with Henderson and Fabinho , albeit in different circumstances, being played in centre-half positions instead of Phillips and Williams etc.

I see Elliott getting a lot of criticism, but tbh he's as much a victim in our midfield issues as we are. A player, brought in as a winger/10 is now being tasked with starting for a club with high expectations, to be a high energy, physical force in the 8 position (a position he's actively learning on the job). Plus, he's being shifted from left to right side on a whim.

I'm more than willing to cut the lad slack as he's having to reinvent himself due to our own inactivity. He's fucking trying, which is something i can't overly level at some of our other midfielders.

For me, he should be coming on for Salah until Diaz is back (who i suspect we might shift to the right).

Quite, we've definitely become more reactionary, rather than taking the initiative.

I think a lot of that is solely down to conservation of energy. I think everyone can see the danger, it's just better to keep stuff in the tank for 80+ minutes, than burn out at 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom