• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Man Utd (H) - PL - Tues 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m glad you mentioned this. I’ve watched that goal about 20 times and I think his pass is as good if not better than mane’s. It’s a total instinct pass played to the proper foot with the proper weight. Beautiful

United vow to 'educate' fans after Hillsborough chants
Updated / Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 19:16

001b92e7-800.jpg

Liverpool and Manchester United ahead of kick-off at Anfield

Manchester United have vowed to "educate" their fans on the Hillsborough disaster after offensive chants were heard from the away section during the Red Devils' 4-0 defeat to Liverpool at Anfield on Tuesday night.
Ralf Rangnick's side were comprehensively beaten on Merseyside, enduring another low point in what's been a frustrating campaign.
A spokesperson for United said: "Manchester United stands in solidarity with Liverpool FC and its fans in remembering the victims of the Hillsborough disaster.
"Offensive chants about the tragedy are completely unacceptable and we will work with our supporters' groups to educate fans on the issue."
On Saturday Manchester City released an apology after a minute's silence to commemorate the 33rd anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy, when 97 Liverpool fans were killed at an FA Cup semi-final, was brought to an abrupt and premature end when some City fans chose to sing through it and were met with a chorus of boos from Reds supporters.
Last January Shrewsbury Town banned two people from all games for a total of eight years following events at their FA Cup clash with Liverpool.
Video clips emerged after the third-round tie at Anfield on appearing to show some Shrewsbury supporters singing a song about the Hillsborough disaster.

Neville needs to get out of this Owner bashing thing. Think he may get a cautionary word from the Sky team to concentrate on the football

Neville needs to get out of this Owner bashing thing. Think he may get a cautionary word from the Sky team to concentrate on the football

Yes that's true. I hate Roy Keane as much as everyone else does but at least he is prepared to blame the players. Neville will criticise the players but it's always followed by 'but it's ultimately the owners' fault'. It's just not logical though.

I think all this talk if how shite United are, which I'm still enjoying immensely, takes away from how great we actually are. United are still better than most teams, it's just that we're fucking awesome.

I’m glad you mentioned this. I’ve watched that goal about 20 times and I think his pass is as good if not better than mane’s. It’s a total instinct pass played to the proper foot with the proper weight. Beautiful

Which pass? There was pass better than Manes one?

Don't think I've ever seen so many hugs between our players as there were after this game. Even Sadio and Mo had one and it felt genuine – feels like the team is exceptionally united in this last push for the big trophies.

Honestly, that's one of the best long-buildup goals I've ever seen. So many of those so called "team goals" are just 20-30 safe passes followed by a sharp opening. Here we were genuinely probing from all directions, creating overloads, dragging United's team shape all over the place, pulling back and starting again – and the decisive lightning-quick 5-pass combination (Matip-Diaz -Matip-Mane-Salah) emerged naturally as a logical continuation of attacking down both flanks and then finally penetrating through the middle. By the time Matip stepped up for the first pass, you could throw a blanket over the 10 United outfield players, they were like a herd of sheep corralled into a pen. And Mane's pass was not just brilliant, but completely logical too – you could see he already had the idea when Diaz received the ball as he saw Mo ready to make the run out of the corner of his eye and also saw Maguire's (bad) position. I can't imagine how satisfying it is for everyone involved, from the players to the coaches, to create a goal like this – let alone do it in a must-win game against United.

I liked it so much, it's now my new avatar.

Last edited:
Yes that's true. I hate Roy Keane as much as everyone else does but at least he is prepared to blame the players. Neville will criticise the players but it's always followed by 'but it's ultimately the owners' fault'. It's just not logical though.
It seems Neville ultimately blames the owners' appointees - non-football people - running the club and buying the players.
Hence their fault for buying the wrong players and not having a structured plan for the club. In essence wasting the huge commercial income. Of course he doesn't like the owners' taking dividends out of the club or piling on the debt too but that's just business.

However it still comes down to the manager & players, on the pitch, no matter which way you look at it.

Last edited:

Honestly, that's one of the best long-buildup goals I've ever seen. So many of those so called "team goals" are just 20-30 safe passes followed by a sharp opening. Here we were genuinely probing from all directions, creating overloads, dragging United's team shape all over the place, pulling back and starting again – and the decisive lightning-quick 5-pass combination (Matip-Diaz -Matip-Mane-Salah) emerged naturally as a logical continuation of attacking down both flanks and then finally penetrating through the middle. By the time Matip stepped up for the first pass, you could throw a blanket over the 10 United outfield players, they were like a herd of sheep corralled into a pen. And Mane's pass was not just brilliant, but completely logical too – you could see he already had the idea when Diaz received the ball as he saw Mo ready to make the run out of the corner of his eye and also saw Maguire's (bad) position. I can't imagine how satisfying it is for everyone involved, from the players to the coaches, to create a goal like this – let alone do it in a must-win game against United.

I liked it so much, it's now my new avatar.

I was going to ask, what's the new avatar

It seems Neville ultimately blames the owners' appointees - non-football people - running the club and buying the players.
Hence their fault for buying the wrong players and not having a structured plan for the club. In essence wasting the huge commercial income. Of course he doesn't like the owners' taking dividends out of the club or piling on the debt too but that's just business.

However it still comes down to the manager & players, on the pitch, no matter which way you look at it.

Well that does kinda make more sense but I still think he's barking up the wrong tree a bit. Imagine the noise he would be making if they had had owners who wouldn't fund transfers at all. The Glazers have spent a fortune. On the wrong players clearly, but still

I don't think Neville's wide of the mark myself. They have indeed spent a fortune on the wrong players as you say, and that is down to those running the club. Woodward's been good on the moneymaking side but many of their own fans reckon, rightly in my view, that his football acumen has never been in the same class. David Gill before him had both strings to his bow and I've always believed losing him was very nearly as damaging as losing Ferguson, perhaps even equally so.

Shame innit. :vamp:

United have had a succession of more or less talented managers and have spent loads of money on players. Moyes, van Gaal, Mourinho - they might not be up there with Guardiola and Klopp, but good enough to achieving SOMETHING with the resources at their disposal.

The idea that if only the right manager comes along all will be fine is flawed. For a club like Liverpool which has far less resources, almost everything must be perfect to achieve success. United is more like Chelsea, they can throw money at the problem. Neville is right, the issue is structural and the rot runs deep. Until they acknowledge and fix that they will continue to fail.

Yeah, I agree with Neville. Getting a new manager or some new players won't fix this. Their system is broken, and that comes from the very top. By all accounts their owners haven't spent the time, or just don't understand what is needed to run the club well, and they'll consistently run through managers and money until that's fixed. They'll win the odd thing and have some good seasons, simply as they keep throwing money at the problem, but they won't see any sustained success the way they are set up now.

They sacked their scouting team yesterday. They must be at least trying to improve that side of things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom