• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Racism seems to be "OK" in Sweden.

Modo

A contentious scando
- Not another "blackie". (or not another one of those blacks)

This was uttered by a famous retired commentator during a game in the Swedish premier division yesterday.
It happened when home team AIK were just about to bring on one of their African players.
The former commentator, who through his media status in Sweden had gained access to one of the commentary booths to shield himself from the cold weather, was heard in background during the live radio broadcast.

SR (Swedish Radio service or Sveriges Radiotjänst), who were broadcasting the game responded by not renewing the contract of the freelance journalist who let the former commentator inside the booth and AIK decided to ban the him from ever gaining access to the press area.

He doesn't regret his choice of words.
- I'm old, so I have a different view of these kind of words. For me, it's nothing disparaging against blacks. I can say yellow to Chinese, I could say fucking white boy too. For me it is mostly a description.
----------------------

Here's the reason why I started a thread about it. I want the English opinion on this. I mean I think you're so far ahead of us Swedes when it comes to racism.
In a poll on Aftonbladet (the biggest newspaper in Sweden), 69% voted that it was wrong to ban him from ever gaining access to the press area.
This pretty much means that he has to purchase a ticket like everyone else if he wants to see AIK play.

To be honest I'm a bit pissed off about the attitude of some of my so called countrymen. Most of the comments I've read about this are absolutely outrageous. People here still have think they can choose what's offensive and what's not. They have the audacity to say that saying "blackie" to describe someone isn't racist cause you know "these black people are black aren't they?".

I wonder how this would have been handled in Britain?

Let me just add that I'm born and raised in Sweden but I'm not an ethnic Swede.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Complete interview (google translated, not arsed):

Bo Hansson, 78, admits that it was he who said "blacks" in Radiosporten live.
The former SVT (Swedish public service) profile regret that it was leaked to radio - but does not regret his choice of words.

- For me, nothing disparaging blacks. I can say yellow for a Chinese, I could say fucking white boy too. For me it is mostly a description, he says to Sportbladet.

FACTS
So said Hansson

During the match, Hansson often heard mumbling in the background to Mats Strandberg's commentary. He is often critical of both AIK's game and the referees. But there are two statements that forced the radio port to apologize.

"Not another "blackie".
When Kwame Karikari changed in the 77th minute says Hansson

"Against Dnipro they had a B team with four blacks and I hardly knew their names."
Bo Hansson at one point in the first half

Sportbladet told me earlier today that listeners complained about racist comments in Radiosporten webcast from premier meeting AIK - Gefle.

The word "blacks" should have been heard in the broadcast, on several occasions, including AIK's Kwame Karikari from Ghana was replaced in the 77th minute.

When Sportbladet hits the renowned SVT legend Bo Hansson, he admits that it was his voice that was heard in the broadcast. The reason he was sitting in the studio was that he froze and sat next to his friend Mats Strandberg, who commented for Radio Sport.

- I was talking to myself in my corner. It was not supposed to go out. I had no idea it was broadcast, he says.

"Apparently very serious"

However, he does not regret his choice of words.
- I'm old, so I have a different view of these kind of words. For me, it's nothing disparaging against blacks. I can say yellow to Chinese, I could say fucking white boy too. For me it is mostly a description.

Do you think people will react?
- Yes, now it is obviously very serious. For me it's not really there. And it certainly would not go out. I sat and talked to myself.

You said "not another blackie!" when Kwame Karikari was subbed for Viktor Lundberg.

- There are too many players who are too similar. For many similar players. Black players who are brought up in the same way and plays exactly the same. With one more so became even more cluttered. And they lost the game, too.

Are there any words that you do not get to say?
- Apparently this time. For me it's different, I come from an old time. I think to the fact that I wrote it once, and then it was no wonder.

"Did no harm"

You've been in a lot of years. Did not you know that he (Mats Strandberg) sent from the cab?
- Not really. I saw it not so. Radiosporten broadcast was made from the cabin next door.
It was a webcast that went out live on the Internet.

If AIK players, such Karikari or (Mohamed) Bangura, take offense, what do you do?
- If they do, they do it. I meant no harm.

You have no remorse?
- I regret of course that it went out. Had I known this I would not have said that. But I did not know about it. When you get angry, they say, "damn bad he's that" no matter how he looks.

Bo Hansson would not apologize to AIK as an association or to AIK player - however, he is sorry that he has given ex-colleague Mats Strandberg unwanted attention.
- I might apologize to the Radiosporten (the channel) , says Hansson.

Back
Top Bottom