• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salah-ng, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
While that's lovely to hear, the cynic in me would like to ask some of the more financially astute people on here whether there are any tax exemptions to be gained when making large charitable donations?
Someone more astute will be able to answer that but my understanding (from filling in way too many forms) is that you can declare it and offset tax to the amount of the taxable value of that donation against tax due on your income. However that's only of real value if you donate enough to drop you into a lower tax bracket - which is never going to happen for Mo. This may be, and probably is, totally wrong and inaccurate.

While that's lovely to hear, the cynic in me would like to ask some of the more financially astute people on here whether there are any tax exemptions to be gained when making large charitable donations?
At his income level, I will say not too much. Yes, he gets 45% of that knocked off his tax bill. But he’s still 55% out of pocket. There’s more benefit in donating to charity if you’re between 50 and 60k a year if you’ve got kids.

Unless it’s his own foundation he’s donating too where he has control over where that money is spent. I’ve seen certain players do this and the charity’s ambition is to help the poor in their own country. However, all those projects did was line the pockets of friends and family back home.

If we pay Salah what he wants, are we lined up for investment fron the Egyptian sovereign fund? Feel like that's the next meta-level move from FSG. Trickle down football economics. From Egypt to FSG to Mo to his village.

Ticks me off still. He seems to be leading us all a merry dance so he can do a big payday next season. Why wouldn't we sell him in that instance? So we get one more season out of him?

There's a fine balance to strike here, Niall. It may be that the club thinks we'll be ready to replace what we get from him in a year's time, but not just yet.

These owners aren’t daft. It’s not just a question of cashing in or losing that transfer fee. The difference in salary between what we would have paid him and and what we pay his replacement over five years etc alone is a huge amount. Then there’s the gap that’s left if we let both he and Mané go at the same time as well as Bobby fading. Etc etc etc
A year from now Nunez and Diaz will be fully settled so we won’t need to break the bank for a fully established world class striker etc etc etc

it’s not just a case of simple numbers

If you was in Salah's shoes, tell me you wouldn't do the same thing?
If the club will not meet his demands, then sell him. Its the club that needs to decide what it wants to do.
If PSG made an offer of £70m, I'd drive him to Paris.

These owners aren’t daft. It’s not just a question of cashing in or losing that transfer fee. The difference in salary between what we would have paid him and and what we pay his replacement over five years etc alone is a huge amount. Then there’s the gap that’s left if we let both he and Mané go at the same time as well as Bobby fading. Etc etc etc
A year from now Nunez and Diaz will be fully settled so we won’t need to break the bank for a fully established world class striker etc etc etc

it’s not just a case of simple numbers

Great points. It's probably about a 60M difference in salaries, at least. Yeah, and I wouldn't want to lose them both in the same year, but 1 year apart might be an issue too.

I like Diaz, and he has talent, but is he going to be the next Salah/Mane? He was marked out of the CL final by RM. I'm sure he can kick on, but it's not a guarantee. But of course nothing is. Nunez? We'll see but Klopp and co are the most likely to get something out of him.

Anyway, glad we have such thoughtful people running the club. Could easily NOT be the case

If you was in Salah's shoes, tell me you wouldn't do the same thing?
If the club will not meet his demands, then sell him. Its the club that needs to decide what it wants to do.
If PSG made an offer of £70m, I'd drive him to Paris.

I wouldn't. I'd want the club to get a massive fee for me to help them keep on succeeding. I wouldn't screw the club for a major departure fee. I'd have all the money I needed at that point. Sell me, let me get rewarded handsomely, but not ridiculously, so everyone's a winner - including the club

I wouldn't. I'd want the club to get a massive fee for me to help them keep on succeeding. I wouldn't screw the club for a major departure fee. I'd have all the money I needed at that point. Sell me, let me get rewarded handsomely, but not ridiculously, so everyone's a winner - including the club
Footballers are paid mercenaries. The relationship they have is employee and employer type. They only become fans once and even then it will be split loyalties

If we’re willing to sell Mane for £28m + Add Ons when he’s going into the final year of his contract, we can forget getting £80+ for Salah - we’ll be doing well to get £40-50m.

If we’re willing to sell Mane for £28m + Add Ons when he’s going into the final year of his contract, we can forget getting £80+ for Salah - we’ll be doing well to get £40-50m.
Depends if there's competition for his sig, I guess? I personally think we can get £60m plus possibly £70m. Pretty sure both PSG and RM would go into it like an auction. NUFC might offer £80m, but he isn't going to go there.

Thats fair enough, and thats exactly why we don't bother selling him.

Depends if there's competition for his sig, I guess? I personally think we can get £60m plus possibly £70m. Pretty sure both PSG and RM would go into it like an auction. NUFC might offer £80m, but he isn't going to go there.

Why would they get in an auction when they can sign him for free next season or a pre-contract in Jan. - the auction will be on his salary not the fee we get.

Newcastle come in to play next summer if they can get themselves close to a CL spot - they could very well seen him as the transformative signing that underpins and legitimises their intention to challenge the top 6.

Why would they get in an auction when they can sign him for free next season or a pre-contract in Jan. - the auction will be on his salary not the fee we get.

Newcastle come in to play next summer if they can get themselves close to a CL spot - they could very well seen him as the transformative signing that underpins and legitimises their intention to challenge the top 6.

Why do clubs sign players in their last year of contract? I know we bought Thiago and Ox on the last year of their contract

Last edited:
It stops a wages/signing on fee bidding war and guaranteed signing.

You also get to use the asset a year earlier.

Combine those you can get a benefit.

Why do clubs sign players in their last year of contract? I know we bought Thiago and Ox on the last year of their contract

Because you can get them cheap, a player might actually fancy going to the team that’s come in for him and the selling club can get some cash in return.

So it’s the opposite of a bidding war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom