• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sin Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

the count

SCM's least favourite muppet- There was a poll
Honorary Member
Plans for football to introduce 10-minute sin-bins for cynical fouls and dissent have been recommended for trialling in the professional game.
The game's lawmakers, the International Football Association Board (Ifab), said it will "identify which levels are best to test".

The trial will also include a rule allowing only the team captain to approach the referee during a game.
Sin-bins have been trialled at grassroots level since 2019.
The proposals were announced at an Ifab meeting in London on Tuesday and are subject to approval at their Annual General Meeting in March 2024.
Former referee Pierluigi Collina, chairman of the Fifa referees committee who sits on the governing body's technical subcommittee, said the proposed trials would "very probably" involve professional football.
Ifab secretary Lukas Brud said one of the next steps was to identify the appropriate competition where the trials could take place.
"The positive message of the meeting is that 'yes, we're going to do something in that direction'," Brud told BBC Sport.
"Over the next weeks and months we are going to identify which levels are best to test.
"I'm hoping in the next few months we will have clarity about which competitions will want to trial this as well.
"It's up to them, competition organisers, to decide whether they want to participate in those trials or not.
"I think it is important to understand that something big like this, and a big decision like that, has to be considered thoroughly when creating protocols and setting up the system to trial it. "
Trials on sin bins for tactical fouling under consideration

Sin bins were piloted in 2018-19 and led to the Football Association reporting a 38% total reduction in dissent across 31 leagues.
They were then introduced across all levels of grassroots football from the 2019-20 season in an attempt to to improve levels of respect and fair play.
The rule change was then implemented up to step five of the National League system and tier three and below in women's football.
FA chief executive Mark Bullingham, a member of the Ifab board, indicated sin bins for tactical fouls could also be considered in the future.
"I think [there is] frustration for fans watching games when they see a promising counter-attack that's ruined by that [a tactical foul]," Bullingham said.
"The question of whether a yellow card is sufficient for that has led to us looking at whether that should be involved in the protocol as well.
"The starting point was looking at player behaviour and dissent - we're then looking at whether we should extend it into other areas, such as tactical fouls, as well."

No thank you. It's football not fucking ice hockey.
I know how to solve this problem, give fuckers like Rodri a yellow the first time they do it, instead of that "unofficial" first offence bullshit.
Also, imagine all the added time that would be accumulated due to these so called "sin-bins", with players complaining, players slowly walking out etc.

Absolutely just book the cunts. It's not hard. The rules already exist, it's just shithouse refs.

They just need to fucking get refs to use the tools they already have, rather than give them new things to fuck up

No thank you. It's football not fucking ice hockey.
I know how to solve this problem, give fuckers like Rodri a yellow the first time they do it, instead of that "unofficial" first offence bullshit.
Also, imagine all the added time that would be accumulated due to these so called "sin-bins", with players complaining, players slowly walking out etc.

I wish football was more like ice hockey with respect to self policing, punishment, refs, etc.

Look at how much better this sport is

1973639018-IMG-20230502-WA0001.jpg

I’m all for it. If merely cautioning a player worked, we wouldn’t even be talking about this. And getting refs to change now in the face of all the pressure that has kept them from doing it consistently isn’t likely.

Make teams have to play down a man for 10 minutes and see how fast the managers stamp out this kind of behavior.

Its an awful idea. Todays refs have enough problems keeping up with everything in the game as it is, and doing it poorly. And then to add this as well. Its gonna be horrendous.

Hopefully it will be cut after the test.

Arsène Wenger was a brilliant manager but everyone of his ideas to improve the game are an absolute shambles.

To clarify, I'm not interested in this gang of refs administering anything, including anything from any other sport.

What I am in favour of is having a big CB that will knock the shit out of someone rather than having endless discussions and theatrics, then someone gets knocked down, it's all smiles, a couple minutes later we're all going again.

And all the hard man players where it's all foreplay, we'd learn they don't actually like getting punched in the head, like most people. Plus we could have our very own goon. I guess I don't even want hockey, I want hockey 20 years ago.

Also the hockey hair would be a nice change.

Last edited:
Absolutely I'm all for this, been calling for it for years. It works brilliantly in rugby and it would stop those 5 mins breaks for Red Cards as they can sin-bin them and give VAR 10 mins to confirm if it was a Red or just a Sin-Bin offence (though not going to help them if they are binned but innocent).

It would stop these overpaid prima donnas from harassing the referee on every decision thereby saving even more time, so if any were lost to the sin-bin card (player going off) it would be more than made up by the saving in pointless 'discussions'.

Since they've been trialling them in numerous leagues already (31 leagues in England since 2019/20) then they must be working well enough to proceed.

Yeah… but if you think the EPL refs will apply sin bins fair and equitably then you’ve a screw loose.
Exactly - it would just be tinkering with rules to try & compensate for the "incompetence"of match officials and it will just be another reason for fuck ups. Tackle the main problem from the top & get the officials interpreting and enforcing the rules consistently & competently.

While I call refs "incompetent", I don't believe they are all individually useless, but clearly the direction they are getting from above is putting them in an impossible situation and making them look like twats

I'm not confident this will work. It does in rugby because the culture allows for players having the good sense to stop and think about what they're doing. I can see footballers sitting there for their ten minutes getting more and more steamed up, coming back on and immediately lamping someone (maybe even the ref himself).

Yeah, but this isnt Rugby. The refereeing standard in todays football cant even get VAR to work, and now you add another element and possibility of them fucking up or getting more things wrong. You have to set things up for the refs to succeed not disrupting the game even more.

No, this cant happen.

Yeah, but this isnt Rugby. The refereeing standard in todays football cant even get VAR to work, and now you add another element and possibility of them fucking up or getting more things wrong. You have to set things up for the refs to succeed not disrupting the game even more.

No, this cant happen.
I’d rather someone sin binned in error than sent off and ruin a game. It would also encourage one side to attack more too to make the advantage count. Pros far outweigh the potential cons imo.

Stop clock would be great too. 30 mins a half, clock stops everytime the ball is out of play.

That’s what they said about subs, shinpads, the back pass rule.
Sin bin is a great idea. Been implemented brilliantly in Rugby for years.

Alright then let's put it to trial on 6CM then. Put your money where your big mouth is.

Pre-match threadstarters who do not win gets perma-banned for a week.

And no cashing out !

'It is mainly for the dissent to the referee' - IFAB boss
afc1239b-7ccc-4f23-b0b7-57d5a7c37eba.jpg

BBC Radio 5 Live
The chief executive of IFAB says the sin-bin rule is mainly for "dissent to the referee."
"It is mainly for the dissent to the referee. The non-football offences as we call it," Lukas Brud told 5 Live breakfast.
"Things that have nothing to do with the game itself. Dissent that, of course, was the starting point of the discussions.
"But also cynical fouls where there is no chance to stop an attacker or a player. And you can only do it unfairly and in an unsporting manner. These types of offences.
"But we want to test it first to see what kind of offences are the ones that you can apply sin-bins for – just as it is on a youth level. And see if we expand or reduce it. We will see throughout the trial."

Except dissent is part of the game because it'll usually be as a result of a referee making a terrible footballing decision like awarding a goal kick when it should've been a corner or missing a clear foul/obstruction in the build up to the opposition nearly scoring etc. These guys at IFAB are another clueless bunch of hippies.

We have only had one season of the referees starting booking people for immediate dissent, which they should have been doing for years. It takes longer than that to drive cultural change amongst the players.

Only allow the captains to talk to the referee.
Instant booking for dissent.
Instant booking for crowding the referee.

There is enough scope in the current laws of the game to address this. The priority should be on improving standards and VAR - not adding increased powers to a group of referees failing to implement the current rules, which are arguably overly complicated already.

Dumb fucking cunts. Football is the only good sport to watch and they're trying their best to make it gimmicky nonsense, from VAR to super league plans to calls for a challenge system and now this. I wonder which genius will be the first to propose stopping the clock and replacing halves with quarters

Anyone supporting this should just leave it and watch hockey, tennis or whatever other dogshit sport does this crap

I bet all the people into this kept telling us how VAR would make it all fixed and fair and great. How's that working out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom