• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Snooker and match fixing

Athens

Greatest Bloke Ever [Citation Needed]
I see Ronnie O'Sullivan has been asked to explain comments he made about match fixing

"I've heard there's many more players who throw snooker matches,"

Is anyone surprised by this? Sports like snooker are relatively easy to fix surely and this thing is probably more common than what people would like to admit.

Yep, particularly cos snooker has gone through quite a decline since the likes of Stephen Lee started playing. If you get used to earning £250k+, which he surely was at some stage, and have the lifestyle (and probably mortgage etc) to match then it's going to be all the more tempting when the money starts to disappear.

Innocent til proven guilty, though, obviously.

Easy to see how this can happen. The money that was in the game is not there any more. The players are not the stars they were years ago either, so these guys porbably can't make the same money going around playing exhibition matches like someone like Jimmy White or Steve Davis either.

I didn't know there wasn't the same money in snooker these days. Where has it all gone? Is it a lack of sponsorship?

Wasn't it once the tobacco sponsership went all the prize funds reduced dramatically.

In saying that I think Hearn has raised the prize fund again but a lot of the tournaments are world wide now so the costs and expenses to the players has risen dramaticaly for them.

One thing I'll say about Stephen Lee. He still has a future as Bagpuss impersonator.

895871-14986259-640-360.jpg

_38039892_bagpuss.jpg

I didn't know there wasn't the same money in snooker these days. Where has it all gone? Is it a lack of sponsorship?

The governing body was meant to have been incredibly uncommercial and complacent for years, so that didn't help. As much as anything though I think it just rather fell out of fashion. The mystery is perhaps more why it ever rose to such heights in the 80s as why it's declined in the 2000s. 18 million people watched Taylor beat Davis in 1985.

Can you even begin to imagine that now?

The game *should* have a decent future, IMO, because there's some interest in it in China, and it only takes a tiny percentage of that market for the players to start earning big money again. Whether the potential will be realised or not is a different matter.

Easy to see how this can happen. The money that was in the game is not there any more. The players are not the stars they were years ago either, so these guys porbably can't make the same money going around playing exhibition matches like someone like Jimmy White or Steve Davis either.

In the world championship they used to get £147k for getting a maximum, now they get a shit car or something. I can see why some of the dodgy bastards are doing a grobbelaar.

I can't help but think of the pool match in Trainspotting. Trying to throw a game isn't easy, imagine trying to throw it against Ronnie when he's in his mental cycle of poor form and tantrums?

In the world championship they used to get £147k for getting a maximum, now they get a shit car or something. I can see why some of the dodgy bastards are doing a grobbelaar.

A mate of mine bought a set of Steve Beaton darts and they came with a postcard of the Bronzed Adonis himself. He was posing with a set of darts in his hand outside a large ivy-covered mansion (probably a local national trust property) that had a hyundai accent parked outside it. It was ridiculous. My mate pissed himself laughing at it.

38 years old and hit with a 12 year ban and 40 grand fine.

What will he do next, take up pool hustling?

I wonder is he too old to start an apprenticeship?

What I'd love to see is a game where both the players, unbeknownst to another, had taken a bung to lose a frame. Exchanging easy misses with one another praying that the other fucking bastard clears up, only for the chance to be repeatedly spurned.

In fact, I'm sure I've seen games like that....

Back
Top Bottom