• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

John Aldridge - good piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red rose

Well-Known
Interesting read about Aldo..for anyone who is interested see the link..(lots of this brings back memories and recollections for me, some good some very sad) ;

Liverpool have been my life”, Aldridge admitted as he put pen to paper on his £750,000 move from Oxford - for who he finished with an impressive tally of 90 goals in 141 matches - on 27th January 1987, a day to remember for more reasons that one as he recalled in his autobiography, ‘My Story’.

"Gathering dust is a newspaper archive is a picture of my first day as a professional at Anfield. Take a closer look and you can see two plasters on my right hand. As my hand was not in a plaster cast, few people would have known it was broken.
“Joan had arranged a party in the Hunts Cross Snooker Club. Touchingly, she had gone to great lengths to make sure all my family and friends were there to celebrate my move to Liverpool. The problem was we all ended up drunk and the night turned sour. I don't know how it started or how it finished, but somewhere in between I allowed my frustration to show by punching a window. If only I'd known there was a brick wall the other side of the glass! Liverpool don't like new players turning up with broken hands, so I reckoned suffering the pain was preferable to telling Kenny Dalglish the truth.

Hillsborough

The thought of training never entered my head. I remember trying to go jogging but I couldn't run. There was a time when I wondered if I would ever muster the strength to play. I seriously considered retirement. I was learning about what was relevant in life. I didn't really see the point in football. Reading about the parents who lost sons or daughters at Hillsborough made me think of my own children. My son, Paul, was only seven at the time. I was only a little older when I went to my first football match in the 1960s. Paul and Joanne have never been less than the most important things in my life, yet after Hillsborough they became more precious, if that was possible. We all became closer as a family

0_signing.jpg

Interesting read about Aldo..for anyone who is interested see the link..(lots of this brings back memories and recollections for me, some good some very sad) ;

Liverpool have been my life”, Aldridge admitted as he put pen to paper on his £750,000 move from Oxford - for who he finished with an impressive tally of 90 goals in 141 matches - on 27th January 1987, a day to remember for more reasons that one as he recalled in his autobiography, ‘My Story’.

"Gathering dust is a newspaper archive is a picture of my first day as a professional at Anfield. Take a closer look and you can see two plasters on my right hand. As my hand was not in a plaster cast, few people would have known it was broken.
“Joan had arranged a party in the Hunts Cross Snooker Club. Touchingly, she had gone to great lengths to make sure all my family and friends were there to celebrate my move to Liverpool. The problem was we all ended up drunk and the night turned sour. I don't know how it started or how it finished, but somewhere in between I allowed my frustration to show by punching a window. If only I'd known there was a brick wall the other side of the glass! Liverpool don't like new players turning up with broken hands, so I reckoned suffering the pain was preferable to telling Kenny Dalglish the truth.

Hillsborough

The thought of training never entered my head. I remember trying to go jogging but I couldn't run. There was a time when I wondered if I would ever muster the strength to play. I seriously considered retirement. I was learning about what was relevant in life. I didn't really see the point in football. Reading about the parents who lost sons or daughters at Hillsborough made me think of my own children. My son, Paul, was only seven at the time. I was only a little older when I went to my first football match in the 1960s. Paul and Joanne have never been less than the most important things in my life, yet after Hillsborough they became more precious, if that was possible. We all became closer as a family

0_signing.jpg

He was totally underrated as a footballer

The way his LFC career ended was sad and did neither the club nor Bob Paisley any credit. By then Paisley was no longer the manager but had joined the board and was still a powerful figure around the place. Turned out he hadn't supported signing Aldo and he said so in an interview, criticising the move. Aldo's mistake was to bite back equally publicly and from that moment his card was marked. Rushy, who had returned from Italy by then and was doing OKish but IMO clearly wasn't at the same level he'd been at before, began to get the nod in selection ahead of Aldo who eventually had to sign for Real Sociedad. It broke the lad's heart and frankly we became a lesser team for it. Emphatically not the club's or Paisley's finest hour and it says a lot for Aldo that he's remained a true Red to this day.

The way his LFC career ended was sad and did neither the club nor Bob Paisley any credit. By then Paisley was no longer the manager but had joined the board and was still a powerful figure around the place. Turned out he hadn't supported signing Aldo and he said so in an interview, criticising the move. Aldo's mistake was to bite back equally publicly and from that moment his card was marked. Rushy, who had returned from Italy by then and was doing OKish but IMO clearly wasn't at the same level he'd been at before, began to get the nod in selection ahead of Aldo who eventually had to sign for Real Sociedad. It broke the lad's heart and frankly we became a lesser team for it. Emphatically not the club's or Paisley's finest hour and it says a lot for Aldo that he's remained a true Red to this day.

Didn't Aldo have a bust up with Marina too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom