• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer rebuild 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bellingham wanted to go to Real Madrid. I think that much has been established despite all the season long respites. That, in my view, is why we walked away.

The way I heard it, he (and his family, of whom he's always taken close notice) saw that as his likely next move after, rather than instead of, LFC.

If the reports about what we've offered for Caicedo are accurate, it's no more than £10 mill.shy of what Bellingham would have cost. Bellingham's younger and English and was known to want to sign for us, none of which applies to Caicedo. I'd certainly prefer Caicedo to Lavia, but I'd have taken Bellingham in preference to either.
Except Bellingham would surely be on far higher wages, higher fees to his father and isn't a DM. In other words we got AliMac and Szobo for the price of one Bellingham (and still saved money) and are being forced into buying Caicedo because we lost Hendo + Fabs. Apples to Orange.

Except Bellingham would surely be on far higher wages, higher fees to his father and isn't a DM. In other words we got AliMac and Szobo for the price of one Bellingham (and still saved money) and are being forced into buying Caicedo because we lost Hendo + Fabs. Apples to Orange.

That's how I tend to see it as well. We made a smart volume play earlier in the window and were forced to scramble now. We chose the safer investment in quality now/potential for more growth over the value purchase that could turn out to be stunning or a dud.

Either way, I think (based on nothing at all) that Bellingham wanted the Liverpool of a couple years ago and not this version of Liverpool.

We are in the middle of a rebuild that we can't quite afford and have no CL. That's not what he signed up for and as soon as it became clear, he was always going to go to Real.

So the idea that Bellingham was ever a realistic option this summer, in my opinion, is just fantasy.

Either way, I think (based on nothing at all) that Bellingham wanted the Liverpool of a couple years ago and not this version of Liverpool.

We are in the middle of a rebuild that we can't quite afford and have no CL. That's not what he signed up for and as soon as it became clear, he was always going to go to Real.

So the idea that Bellingham was ever a realistic option this summer, in my opinion, is just fantasy.

I think so, too.

Yep. There's that too.

For my money that's too restricted a view of what Bellingham would have brought to the team. For England he does a lot of the grunt work in front of the defence and still has the power and vision to bring the ball forward afterwards. He might be on higher wages himself but I can't see his dad's cut being higher than that of a normal agent, not least because we'd offered the guy a job (not sure if that will still stand), plus he's younger and English and already knows some of the squad from England duty.

Not buying the argument that the idea of signing him was "fantasy" either. I simply don't believe we'd have spent the considerable time and effort we did spend trying to get him if we hadn't been convinced that there was real interest on his part and that of his family.

Last edited:
[article]
Liverpool hand Klopp £164m to sign four stars before deadline, including ‘chosen’ Caicedo alternative

Joe Williams 12 hours ago

Noussair-Mazraoui-Bayern-Munich-F365.jpg

Noussair Mazraoui has been linked with a move to Liverpool.

Liverpool are set to give Jurgen Klopp £164m to sign up to four players before the transfer deadline, according to reports.
The Reds signed Alexis Mac Allister and Dominik Szoboszlai earlier on in the transfer window as they looked to replace Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, James Milner and Naby Keita, who all left on free transfers at the end of June.
However, the unexpected departures of Jordan Henderson and Fabinho to Saudi Arabia means Klopp needs at least another one or two midfielders this summer.
Klopp confirmed yesterday that they had made a bid for Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo with other reports confirming that the offer of around £110m has been accepted by the Seagulls.
But the Ecuador international has now apparently made it clear that he wants to join Chelsea over the Reds with the Blues set to make an offer around the same price for Caicedo.
Liverpool have also had multiple bids turned down for Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia with the Reds unwilling to match the Saints’ £50m asking price for the 19-year-old Belgium international.
READ MORE: The 20 biggest transfers in the world in the 2023 summer transfer window
And now Spanish publication Nacional insist that Liverpool will spend €190m (£164m) in the final weeks of the transfer window as they look to ‘satisfy’ Klopp.
The German is ‘not satisfied’ with his additions to date as he wants more numbers and will be given the ‘budget’ to land as many as four new faces before the deadline.
It is understood that their ‘big priority’ is still Lavia at Southampton, who has been ‘chosen’ as the main alternative to Caicedo, with the report insisting that they will close an agreement with the Saints over the next few days.
They also have ‘very serious interest’ in Nice midfielder Khephren Thuram with the Frenchman hoping ‘to change scenery this year, and try his luck at a more ambitious club’.
The €35m it would take to sign Thuram would leave Klopp plenty in his budget to ‘sign a striker and a right-back’ too with Borussia Dortmund’s Donyell Malen on the German’s radar.
And Liverpool are ready to offer ‘more than’ €65m to bring the Netherlands international to Anfield after he scored 10 goals in 35 matches last term.
Morocco international Noussair Mazraoui, who came through the youth ranks at Ajax, is the option he ‘likes the most’ at right-back and ‘they hope to get him out of Bayern Munich for around’ €30m.

[/article]

[article]
Liverpool hand Klopp £164m to sign four stars before deadline, including ‘chosen’ Caicedo alternative

Joe Williams 12 hours ago

Noussair-Mazraoui-Bayern-Munich-F365.jpg

Noussair Mazraoui has been linked with a move to Liverpool.

Liverpool are set to give Jurgen Klopp £164m to sign up to four players before the transfer deadline, according to reports.
The Reds signed Alexis Mac Allister and Dominik Szoboszlai earlier on in the transfer window as they looked to replace Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, James Milner and Naby Keita, who all left on free transfers at the end of June.
However, the unexpected departures of Jordan Henderson and Fabinho to Saudi Arabia means Klopp needs at least another one or two midfielders this summer.
Klopp confirmed yesterday that they had made a bid for Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo with other reports confirming that the offer of around £110m has been accepted by the Seagulls.
But the Ecuador international has now apparently made it clear that he wants to join Chelsea over the Reds with the Blues set to make an offer around the same price for Caicedo.
Liverpool have also had multiple bids turned down for Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia with the Reds unwilling to match the Saints’ £50m asking price for the 19-year-old Belgium international.
READ MORE: The 20 biggest transfers in the world in the 2023 summer transfer window
And now Spanish publication Nacional insist that Liverpool will spend €190m (£164m) in the final weeks of the transfer window as they look to ‘satisfy’ Klopp.
The German is ‘not satisfied’ with his additions to date as he wants more numbers and will be given the ‘budget’ to land as many as four new faces before the deadline.
It is understood that their ‘big priority’ is still Lavia at Southampton, who has been ‘chosen’ as the main alternative to Caicedo, with the report insisting that they will close an agreement with the Saints over the next few days.
They also have ‘very serious interest’ in Nice midfielder Khephren Thuram with the Frenchman hoping ‘to change scenery this year, and try his luck at a more ambitious club’.
The €35m it would take to sign Thuram would leave Klopp plenty in his budget to ‘sign a striker and a right-back’ too with Borussia Dortmund’s Donyell Malen on the German’s radar.
And Liverpool are ready to offer ‘more than’ €65m to bring the Netherlands international to Anfield after he scored 10 goals in 35 matches last term.
Morocco international Noussair Mazraoui, who came through the youth ranks at Ajax, is the option he ‘likes the most’ at right-back and ‘they hope to get him out of Bayern Munich for around’ €30m.

[/article]
Utter bollocks. Some people need to do a modicum of due diligence before posting every scrap of crap that appears in their feeds.

Utter bollocks. Some people need to do a modicum of due diligence before posting every scrap of crap that appears in their feeds.
I just found the sum interesting. We know Klopp got £111m to bid on Moises, did we ever think that would happen? If you think it's not worth reading, skip past it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom