• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Ashes

England were also quite muck back then. That cannot be the yardstick for determining a good bowler.

He tormented everyone, it just so happens that I happen to see it live and in person against England many a time

I never saw him live - but I wonder for those who did, who was scarier when angry, him or donald? Both had such a nasty streak.
I wonder if Rabada or Ngidi have it - they seem like nice guys like Pollock was.

Difficult question...loved Donald's bowling action so much. But In every game System has this ability to crank up the intensity in terms of high quality bowling and aggressiveness in some spells. In those spells he was brutal.....Donald was a different type of aggressive....I liked Steyn more.

Depends on how one defines "best". I saw a fair bit of Glenn McGrath when he was with Worcestershire and, while others might be more immediately frightening, his consistent accuracy was staggering for a pace bowler.

Mind you, he was on the receiving end of the best sledging comeback in cricket history once playing for Oz against (of all teams) Zimbabwe, when he asked Zim's lower order batter Eddo Brandes "Why are you so f'cking fat?" and Brandes replied "Coz each time I f'ck your wife she gives me a biscuit".

and now the mighty Hash retires too ... a year too late I think but one of the great careers of this past era ...
going to be hard to replace him.

All the best to Moeen Ali. Our fellow mighty Reds fan.
Here's hoping you can use your break from the game, get your head straight again and come spinning back.
YNWA.

All the best to Moeen Ali. Our fellow mighty Reds fan.
Here's hoping you can use your break from the game, get your head straight again and come spinning back.
YNWA.
I've had a soft spot for him well before I knew he was a red, but he's lost both components of his game just now.

Smith at around 300 runs for the series already. Even if he only has 1 innings in this wet Lord's test he might be at 350 with three matches to go. Given teams that build up huge first innings leads don't enforce the follow on these days and the top three Aussie batters are fragile, he's likely to have 4-5 further proper innings and 1-2 smash it around to set a declaration target innings. 750 runs is on for him in the series.

Smith at around 300 runs for the series already. Even if he only has 1 innings in this wet Lord's test he might be at 350 with three matches to go. Given teams that build up huge first innings leads don't enforce the follow on these days and the top three Aussie batters are fragile, he's likely to have 4-5 further proper innings and 1-2 smash it around to set a declaration target innings. 750 runs is on for him in the series.

Well, you put the mockers on him rightly.

Best archer since Robin Hood sorted him out. Interesting to see how the Aussie bowling attack fights back after getting bowled out for 179. I wouldn't put it past them, it all depends on how the first session goes today. The weather is set reasonably fair for the rest of the test match (although it will be overcast all day today), but they need to make hay with the early conditions and the new ball.

So they made hay with this fucking straw-like batting line up. Pathetic from England.

England are going to win this..
Impressive 2nd innings so far.. Pitch is perfect for batting..

Frustrating the hell out of the aussie attack with their approach..

Ben Stokes

The most complete all rounder their is in world cricket

Astonishing innings .

Though the Aussies wasted review lost them that test..

He was out lbw... No reviews.. left..

You take your luck in times like this.. And Stokesy most certainly did

Stunning, but very lucky performance. Lyon messes up the run out, Australia throw away a review when they needed one with a Lyon delivery.

England need to sort things out for Old Trafford now. I’d be tempted to drop Roy and put Root back at 4. The batting still glaring deficiencies.

Great day in the media for England fans. Earlier this afternoon yesterday's shellacking of Ireland at Twickenham also got a repeat airing. :vamp:

Ben Stokes

The most complete all rounder their is in world cricket

Astonishing innings .

Though the Aussies wasted review lost them that test..

He was out lbw... No reviews.. left..

You take your luck in times like this.. And Stokesy most certainly did

If he isn't Sir Ben Stokes by Christmas, the country needs to take a look at itself.

Stunning, but very lucky performance. Lyon messes up the run out, Australia throw away a review when they needed one with a Lyon delivery.

England need to sort things out for Old Trafford now. I’d be tempted to drop Roy and put Root back at 4. The batting still glaring deficiencies.
Who does Anderson come in for? Woakes? We'd have quite a tail in that case. Roy has to be out, and maybe Buttler. Sibley to open, and Pope might be worth a try.

Who does Anderson come in for? Woakes? We'd have quite a tail in that case. Roy has to be out, and maybe Buttler. Sibley to open, and Pope might be worth a try.
Hasn't Anderson got another game with Lancs seconds this week? If he comes through that I'd wait and see. I think the bowling attack is fine. Roy needs to be dropped or dropped lower, maybe push Denley up to open?

I like Sibley and Pope but it's clear from the Aussie attack that some of our batsmen aren't used to the short stuff and they don't face anything like them in the county championship. So probably a risk not worth taking.

263ebb79466787d563ab255f1fd92072.jpg

That was just amazing
I was away man - Just trying to keep up with it on my phone. Got back a few hours ago and happily I had it recorded. I've just watched the whole thing. Utterly astonishing. That reverse sweep was from the gods! His cuts as well. I so wish I was there. :)

Back
Top Bottom