• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Ashes

737Max

Stupid f*****g bolt
Honorary Member
Starts today and not a single thread on here, what gives?

Anyway, call me a traditionalist but I love test match cricket, the purest form of the game and in my eyes the best format. Don't give me I'd rather watch paint dry jibes, test match cricket is fascinating, how to build a score, when to declare, when to put the opposition in, make them bat again and all with a watchful eye on what the weather will be.

Anyway, England aren't doing too shabby at 83-3 at lunchtime although concerning that Jimmy has felt tightness in his calf.

Anderson's calf is a big worry though, especially if the Australians make them bowl for long periods (looking more likely to be a problem in the second innings). Hopefully England can make enough of a lead in the first innings to put the Aussies under pressure.

Just loved Warner's wicket, especially after he should have been out first ball if they had reviewed. There's something very special about the Ashes. Come on England!

The wickets definitely seem a little "interesting" this year. Especially during the world cup where a facade of make-up makes it look like a flat batting pitch, every gambler goes ahead and puts their spreadbets on for high scores, then a few overs into the match the thin facade wears away revealing a slow, inconsistent cluster fuck of a wicket where you'd be lucky to get into double figures. The bookmakers collect their winnings, and on a totally unrelated note the senior ground staff turn up to work in audi convertibles the following week. Nothing to see here.

Smith, bane of England strikes again. Aussies would have been out for 150 without him. As England will probably be soon enough. Sigh.

Typical England. Bowl well in 2 of the 3 sessions. Team is lacking real pace without Jimmy

Last edited by a moderator:
What a frustrating day. I was having a debate with my mates all week about line up and for me there was zero reason for choosing Jimmy given his recent injury. The only argument I saw for it was "but if the ball is swinging...". If the ball is swinging, Woakes, Broad and even Stokes can utilise a swinging ball, as could a Curran or a Stone. We would have gotten them out sub 200 easily with an extra seamer in the attack IMO.

Still - the confidence of getting 10 wickets in a day will hold well going forwards and we just need to bat patiently and are more than capable of making a 350+ score by lunch on Saturday.

Really looking forward to seeing if Burn & Roy can take their chance and work with Root and Denley to give a platform for Buttler & Bairstow to take the game away from the Aussies.

Fuckin' love test cricket - can swing so many ways in a day

Still - the confidence of getting 10 wickets in a day will hold well going forwards and we just need to bat patiently and are more than capable of making a 350+ score by lunch on Saturday.
I like the optimism, but have little confidence in what looks like a very brittle batting lineup.

I like the optimism, but have little confidence in what looks like a very brittle batting lineup.
I’m afraid I’m with you. I can see the Aussies getting England out for the kind of score Australia should have been out for. Less than 200. Hope very much to be proved wrong.

This has been a great day of test batting so far. Well fought 50 for Root and Burns has been very impressive - a proper openers innings. Hope he can get past that century milestone.

Would like to see us get a lead before the end of the day with a few batters still in reserve who can push to a nice lead by lunch tomorrow and onwards. Patience is key and we are currently doing that well but after Denly we are into batters who prefer white ball to red ball bar maybe Stokes.

Typical England. Bowl well in 2 of the 3 sessions. Team is lacking real pace without Jimmy
Eh?! Great bowler as he is, he’s the slowest of these 4 seamers isn’t he? Might sneak past Woakes fastest delivery, but certainly not bowling consistently faster than Broad or Stokes

Yeah Jimmy has never been in the team for pace, but for ability to set up a batsman with swing, seam and discipline.

This game has changed again now that the aussies changed the dead ball and got a swinger. Tough 15 overs and then a brand new ball to navigate. Really hoping Rory can get his century but a whole new game for him now with this ball moving around in the air.

Apologies! The events are making you look wise! Great effort by Burns today, and a captain's innings from Root. We need to push on from here, but a surprisingly solid effort today.

Well pleased with today. Nice from Burns and Root. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Glad to be proved wrong. I actually think the Aussies have played well in the bowling. They probably didn't have the best of the bowling conditions, but never once did our batsmen impose their authority on the game. It was nibbly and nervous but fantastic test match cricket for that.

Afraid it's time to drop Moeen. Badly out of form and confidence I'm afraid.
Let’s see how he bowls, but you’re probably right - looks like he’s perfectly capable of walking out holding the bat the wrong way up at the moment - brain scrambled

How the fuck did we go from having the opposition 120-8 to losing by 250 runs. Mental. Two players made the difference for Aus - Smith & Lyon. Burns put in a proper test cricket first innings but we bowled like shit for large parts of the game, lost our intensity and without wanting to scapegoat - paid the price for not having an in form spinner who can regularly take wickets. Mo needs to be dropped.

Dale Steyn on song is the best bowler I ever saw live.

I never saw him live - but I wonder for those who did, who was scarier when angry, him or donald? Both had such a nasty streak.
I wonder if Rabada or Ngidi have it - they seem like nice guys like Pollock was.

Sorry but I'm gonna go with another Saffer in Alan Donald. Watched him torment England many a time.

Back
Top Bottom