• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Donkey

Oh I appreciate that training attitude absolutely will colour the views of the manager, as they should. We've seen carvalho get bombed out on loan and dropped out of squads because of it. But clearly the talent is there. It's about cultivating that for me, and channeling it.

It's all guesswork; but I think if the players performed well enough in training to get on the bench, then they're surely good enough to get a few minutes on the pitch. Otherwise what's the point?
I think early on, managers do that just to give youngsters the experience of being on the bench in a competitive game. All about the experience etc and sometimes a good way of making sure they don't think they have "made it" is by not putting them on, but just letting them have a feel of things, seeing the game from a different perspective.

I agree though, especially when it came to Danns recently. We were crying out for a goal and he should have appeared more than he did. Call it protecting him or whatever, in days of old, if our first teamers weren't pulling up trees, we would give kids a go. When games have been dead and buried, you're not telling me it's a massive risk to replace a non-performing striker like Nunez or Gapko with Danns. What's the big risk? He might lose a 50/50? The others do that every game.

The thing about Danns is that it might be more of a tactical thing and that he hasnt quite gotten the handle of the positioning and pressing part of the Klopp approach as a 9. We all know that Klopp is vary of using players that havent quite learned this yet.
I'd be disappointed if he doesn't get a few minutes in the last two games though. Showed a lot of promise and it would be good to see more of him.

The thing about Danns is that it might be more of a tactical thing and that he hasnt quite gotten the handle of the positioning and pressing part of the Klopp approach as a 9. We all know that Klopp is vary of using players that havent quite learned this yet.
I'd be disappointed if he doesn't get a few minutes in the last two games though. Showed a lot of promise and it would be good to see more of him.

Yeah, but absolutely no excuse not using him when we were going for broke vs Everton and the like - at that point pressing and tactics didn’t matter. Klopp fucked up there and he knows it.

Yeah, but absolutely no excuse not using him when we were going for broke vs Everton and the like - at that point pressing and tactics didn’t matter. Klopp fucked up there and he knows it.

Absolutely, I agree. It was just a thought into why Klopp hasnt used him more once the squad got some injured players back.

It probably all comes down to the steadfast sticking to Plan A, as there's no plan B.

But again - you weren't there in training which may be an influencing factor that we as fans are totally unaware of. Being exceptional in a one-off match doesn't mean you should be starting, or even getting minutes ahead of a much more (and likely more talented when on form) player. Those experienced players also need to be played themselves back into form (when out of it) and they won't do that if they sit on the bench whilst youngsters gain 'valuable minutes'.
It’s back to your catch 22 and 66 comment. Nunez could be smashing in 14 Puskas nominations everyday in training but what does that matter if he can’t score in actual games. There are examples of poor trainers but excellent match players. Hazard is an extreme example, but he was meant to be shite in training.

When you have be almost perfect to win the league you can’t have people play into form. That is the way at the moment if you want to be the best. That’s the standard that’s been set.

Back to Nunez and the xG nerds. In the last 5 seasons he’s exceeded xG once which was the season before we signed him. That’s an outlier if you believe if those stats mean anything. I doubt he will buck the trend next season.

Are you talking about Nunez? I'm talking about Edwards. Though both have been petty.
I'm talking about Edwards. Nunez performances would merit a potential transfer....but Edwards doing that is petty and needless. Gives the wrong impression of a post klopp era immediately

Yeah, I wouldn’t make negative judgements about Edwards based on this. This could come out from a number of sources, absolutely no evidence Edwards leaked it. In fact I would say it’s unlikely; even if he wants to sell a player his m.o. is to big up their importance to the team so as to not lose value (possibly happening with Salah).

The fact it's come from Joyce, who doesn't post speculation or rumour, makes me think it's come from a very reputable source

Yeah, I wouldn’t make negative judgements about Edwards based on this. This could come out from a number of sources, absolutely no evidence Edwards leaked it. In fact I would say it’s unlikely; even if he wants to sell a player his m.o. is to big up their importance to the team so as to not lose value (possibly happening with Salah).
Yes, we should wait until Fabrizio Romano tweets it out before we decide on this rumour's veracity.

When you have be almost perfect to win the league you can’t have people play into form. That is the way at the moment if you want to be the best. That’s the standard that’s been set.
Every team has injuries and every team has to play those returnees back into form. No one has a magic wand to wave over them and voila - they return at their peak (unless your name is De Bruyne). City were ridiculously lucky with injuries this season.

There’s bringing them back to fitness following injury with 10, 20, 30 minutes. It’s another going through an 8 game shit fest hoping to play them into form.

He never had a donkey brain !!!! - ( honestly the battles I have to do for the Curtis/Nunez) , if anything he was playing with donkeys last season that made him look bad. I remember seeing him in games hold his hand up as he is level with the oppositions' last line of defence - ready to make the run if the fucker would just pass him the ball. But no - we want to move that ball around the entire pitch first rather than pass to the willing runner. If we want to use the 'donkey' metaphor in association with him - we can say now that he has finally settled into our "donkey" build up play so that he can be an effective "donkey" amongst the other donkeys in our team.

Nunez is world class - and yes the bar for world class talent is getting lower each year because most of the best players in the world are being told to play to a 'System' rather than use their natural skills. So when I see a player with all the raw talent of Nunez - I know he is world class, and no defender in this country wants to go up against someone like him. Also the measurement of those so called 'chances' are still pretty pathetic, we all know Salah and others miss loads of chances, and he did not do as badly as some other recent expensive buys for other clubs in terms of his goal scoring last season. You need to submit to world class talent like both Nunez and Curtis.

Nothing confirmed by anyone, but some seem to think he leaked the «Nunez was a Klopp transfer».
Seriously doubt this. I recall Rodgers doing a hatchet job on Edwards (with Daily Mail, forsooth!) and not once did he respond: leaks or otherwise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom