• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Donkey

Wait till he figures out that Curtis Jones matches his criteria for “bombing out” to a tee.

@MomoWASright - I think we have a very good team actually, and no they don't need bombing out. I think the issue is that the new midfielders in Szobo, Mac, Gravy, Endo - all were overused at different points in the season, leading to injuries and lack of form. They were probably not ready to play a full season of Klopp pressing style football. The area we are lacking is a 25-29 year old physical presence in the midfield to support Endo in that defensive type role, if we could sort that out then things would have been different. If you watched our last 3 games closely you would have seen that even Klopp was learning (or experimenting):

1) Against Spurs - he takes off Endo as part of his subs and then we lose control
2) Against A.Villa - same as (1)
3) Against Wolves - he does not take Endo off and we maintain an element of control and don't concede

And @StevieM - your constant references to Curtis Jones (best press-resistant player in the world) - I think you will find that the new manager will work wonders with him, and won't try and turn him into what Klopp did with Gini. For quite a few games last season he was out best midfielder, and I would like to point out also that unlike some of our midfielders who were making same mistake over and over again - the supporters don't seem to give them a hard time as much as they give Curtis. I saw Mac10 lose that fucking ball just dwindling on it in dangerous areas and we know at least two instances led to goals, if it was Curtis doing that then he would have been benched or people would have been saying 'sell sell sell - get the c*nt out'.

The other thing that has not been talked about as much this season is the development of Quansah (Q). If we were looking from the outside at him we would think he would be a 60M player, he is my player of the season and we are so lucky to have him. His performances and development have not been talked about enough this season by us.

We do have issues though in terms of how we use Szob and Gravy - I sometimes wish we never bought Gravy - as no one is clear on the type of midfielder he is, they are even debating this in his national squad.

As for our attack - I think its clear we should be letting go of Diaz, and keeping Darwin. I thought Gakpo is more productive on the left wing towards the end of the season.

We talk about the usual suspects in City and Chelsea, but how is Arsenal able to spend 200m last season, win nothing, and looks like they are going to spend another 100-200m this season?

Please not my Darwin for Watkins No no No No, the skysports page that mentioned this was weird, it had like some stat that made Nunez look good ... "He has only scored 11 goals in 22 PL starts..." thats like good right for any striker ?

He's fucking shite
Ok, but he is an exciting shite thats been used wrongly, and those chances that everyone keeps saying he misses, well that happens when there is no pattern of attack, and the fucking shite ball turns up atbyour feet around half the opposition

@MomoWASright - I think we have a very good team actually, and no they don't need bombing out. I think the issue is that the new midfielders in Szobo, Mac, Gravy, Endo - all were overused at different points in the season, leading to injuries and lack of form. They were probably not ready to play a full season of Klopp pressing style football. The area we are lacking is a 25-29 year old physical presence in the midfield to support Endo in that defensive type role, if we could sort that out then things would have been different. If you watched our last 3 games closely you would have seen that even Klopp was learning (or experimenting):

1) Against Spurs - he takes off Endo as part of his subs and then we lose control
2) Against A.Villa - same as (1)
3) Against Wolves - he does not take Endo off and we maintain an element of control and don't concede

And @StevieM - your constant references to Curtis Jones (best press-resistant player in the world) - I think you will find that the new manager will work wonders with him, and won't try and turn him into what Klopp did with Gini. For quite a few games last season he was out best midfielder, and I would like to point out also that unlike some of our midfielders who were making same mistake over and over again - the supporters don't seem to give them a hard time as much as they give Curtis. I saw Mac10 lose that fucking ball just dwindling on it in dangerous areas and we know at least two instances led to goals, if it was Curtis doing that then he would have been benched or people would have been saying 'sell sell sell - get the c*nt out'.

The other thing that has not been talked about as much this season is the development of Quansah (Q). If we were looking from the outside at him we would think he would be a 60M player, he is my player of the season and we are so lucky to have him. His performances and development have not been talked about enough this season by us.

We do have issues though in terms of how we use Szob and Gravy - I sometimes wish we never bought Gravy - as no one is clear on the type of midfielder he is, they are even debating this in his national squad.

As for our attack - I think it’s clear we should be letting go of Diaz, and keeping Darwin. I thought Gakpo is more productive on the left wing towards the end of the season.
I don’t think they can be not ready for the premier league then also be overused which caused their injuries/lack of form and confidence. To me it sounds like you’re saying Klopp’s play the system no matter what you have at your finger tips meant we didn’t see the best out the side. Which takes me back to his loyalty issues. It also shows lack of foresight with our signings. He was overly loyal to Hendo, Fabs and we got burned by not shifting them off earlier despite the wedge we ended up getting paid. We then had to integrate players who weren’t physically able to be water carriers all at once. They are also players we had no real vision on how to use. Especially with Szoboss (he’s not a box to box player) and Gravy who had bad luck with injuries and hasn’t helped himself at times.

We didn’t need a 25-28 year old. We needed small changes over the years to have players slowly integrated into the side and know the system.

The three games you mention seem a bit off. We lost control of two of the games because we should’ve been clear out of the door before the subs and the flaws in the system which we’ve said all season. We also lost control against 10 man wolves who had nothing to play for. We just weren’t punished.

Ketwig is a strange one for me. I don’t see it in him. He had that 4 game spell when he looked like he could be something but he generally floats between crap and meh. Slow on the ball, not consistently good at releasing it with quick touches, injured 60% of the time and when fit needs 20% of the time “managing his body”.

To get back to the Donkey, he’s second on my list of forwards to bomb out. After Diaz. I can’t cope with him missing massive chances when it matters and then the fan bois being out when he gets two worldies against Ipswich.

Jones for me is just gini lite. Great press resistance, just a few other areas where he's lacking comparivitely. He's a fine squad player though

I think Jones is a good player, but last season he wasn’t at his best.

I think this “press resistance m” thing is a bit of a red herring though - opposition generally press out defenders and DM… you don’t press attacker players in the same way.

CJ is better further forward - I could see him in a 4231 in the 3 beside Dom & The Boy, particularly if we’re getting FB’s to bomb on up the wing to provide width.

He, like a hole host of players needs to stay fit and out a consistent run of games together - he just didn’t do that last year. Not blaming him, the injuries weren’t really down to him.

I feel the same about Grav, although he probably suits a deeper role better.

CJ was at his best season before last when he was drifting out wide on the left with Nunez wide left coming inside and Gakpo in a false 9.

Back
Top Bottom