• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Greatest Irish Sportsperson Ever!

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=35719.msg940722#msg940722 date=1252514490]
[quote author=Vanbasten84 link=topic=35719.msg940691#msg940691 date=1252509336]
[quote author=Jack D Rips link=topic=35719.msg940642#msg940642 date=1252500068]
No doubt Keane the traitor will be in there
[/quote]

why wouldnt he...greatest player ireland ever had arguably
[/quote]

Because he also abandoned us in our hour of need.

And Paul McGrath was better.
[/quote]

Cetainly the more naturally gifted footballer.

Mcgrath was amazing but achieved very little of what he may have had his knees held up and if he had not become a raging alco.

Has to be Harrington no?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35719.msg941019#msg941019 date=1252566301]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=35719.msg940975#msg940975 date=1252544146]
Ronan O'Gara
[/quote]

He's American Rafa. Born in San Diego.
[/quote]

I'm not letting a little thing like that get in the way. He's still getting my vote.

George Best was an Ulsterman- which is Irish, I suppose. However, my greatest Irish sportsman, another Ulsterman, quelle surprise, isn't on the list. How the fuck is Willie John McBride not on that list?

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=35719.msg941171#msg941171 date=1252589022]
George Best was an Ulsterman- which is Irish, I suppose. However, my greatest Irish sportsman, another Ulsterman, quelle surprise, isn't on the list. How the fuck is Willie John McBride not on that list?
[/quote]

They've conveniently decided to leave Northern Irish sportspeople off the list.

Probably because - in Best, McCoy, McGuigan, McBride, Peters, and others - they'd all completely overshadow anything out of the South.

That's right, because Keane, Harrington, Coughlin, Collins, Fitzgerald, Kelly, Roche, etc... are completely overshadowed.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=35719.msg941431#msg941431 date=1252629398]
That's right, because Keane, Harrington, Coughlin, Collins, Fitzgerald, Kelly, Roche, etc... are completely overshadowed.

[/quote]

They pretty much are to be fair.

Best>Keane
McGuigan>Collins

It's hard to piegon-hole the others togethor obviously due to the seperation in sports, but Peters was an Olympic champion in a proper fucking event, which is a touch more significant than Kelly's green 'king of the fast sprint' jersey.

Harrington's a given obviously, but to proffer some of those names as being more significant in the World of sport than the likes of Tony McCoy and the others I've named is absurd.

George Best might be the greatest player the WORLD has ever known, never mind our tiny island, so it's unfair to compare him to anybody.

It's probably fairer to compare Pat Jennings to Roy Keane, maybe... Keane wins. As do practically ALL of our legendary footballers down the years. Irwin. Brady. Whelan. McGrath.

Willie John? Fair shout. But Ciaran Fitzgerald was an inspirational leader and ambassador too.

McGuigan or Collins. Very close call, in my opinion. Both beat the previously unbeatable, stuck around for a while, then faded later in their careers.

Stephen Roche won the f#$!ing Tour d' France. And the World Championship in the same year. Padraig Harrington RETAINED the Open. The North has never produced a footballer the likes of Jack O'Shea or a hurler like Christy Ring. Or either like Jimmy Barry Murphy.

Both sides of the border have their fair share of legends. But to say you "overshadow" us is utter gash.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=35719.msg941445#msg941445 date=1252632390]
George Best might be the greatest player the WORLD has ever known, never mind our tiny island, so it's unfair to compare him to anybody.

It's probably fairer to compare Pat Jennings to Roy Keane, maybe... Keane wins.

[/quote]

Hahahaha, that's fucking hilarious. 'Best was too good, so that's not fair. Let's find somebody less good, so we can make it easier for Roy Keane to win.'

Jesus Christ.

Nobody in their right mind would dare suggest Collins over McGuigan.

And yes Roche won the TDF, but even that's tainted. He was effectively the best cyclist in one year, Tony McCoy is the best jumps jockey ever.

We can argue the toss over individuals all day, but to get back to the original point - the producers of the show have deliberatly omitted sportpeople from N.Ireland because they'd have a better chance of producing the winner, and that wouldn't sit well.

I'm not really that bothered by that, just pointing it out.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=35719.msg941446#msg941446 date=1252632998]

[/quote]

Hahahaha, that's fucking hilarious. 'Best was too good, so that's not fair. Let's find somebody less good, so we can make it easier for Roy Keane to win.'

Jesus Christ.

And yes Roche won the TDF, but even that's tainted. He was effectively the best cyclist in one year, Tony McCoy is the best jumps jockey ever.

We can argue the toss over individuals all day, but to get back to the original point - the producers of the show have deliberatly omitted sportpeople from N.Ireland because they'd have a better chance of producing the winner, and that wouldn't sit well.

[/quote]

Oh for f#$! sake...

You are one of the most needlessly argumentitive and never wrong people I have ever encountered. Come to think of it, the others that jump to mind are also from the North... Strange that.

I AGREED with you about George Best. I said he was the WORLD'S best player, never mind ours. I wasn't suggesting that he be omitted because he was too good, for Christ' sake! I acknowledging that there was no comparrison to him. I was pointing out that, after him, most of the people that you'd think about when considering all-time Irish footballers are from the Republic.

The Collins / McGuigan debate is closer than you'd like to admit, but because one's from Dublin and the other Monaghan, you won't listen. As per.

And you're diminishing Stephen Roche's achievements far too much there.

For what it's worth, I'd choose Georgie. Willie John, Padraig Harrington and Stephen Roche would be next on my list.

A southerner picking a Nordy... Whatever next?

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=35719.msg941452#msg941452 date=1252637067]

[/quote]

Jesus Christ.

[/quote]

Oh for f#$! sake...

You are one of the most needlessly argumentitive and never wrong people I have ever encountered. Come to think of it, the others that jump to mind are also from the North... Strange that.

I AGREED with you about George Best. I said he was the WORLD'S best player, never mind ours. I wasn't suggesting that he be omitted because he was too good, for Christ' sake! I acknowledging that there was no comparrison to him. I was pointing out that, after him, most of the people that you'd think about when considering all-time Irish footballers are from the Republic.

The Collins / McGuigan debate is closer than you'd like to admit, but because one's from Dublin and the other Monaghan, you won't listen. As per.

For what it's worth, I'd choose Georgie. Willie John, Padraig Harrington and Stephen Roche would be next on my list.

[/quote]

There are only two people I really get into arguments with on here; you and Dreamy. Make of that what you will.

You get very worked up, very easily Whaddapie. There are an inordinate amount of threads to back that up too, but hey ho - carrying the debate on further here is pretty pointless, so let's quit while we're behind.

I'm not devaluing Roche. He was a wonderful TDF champion, and did massive things for the sport of Cycling in Ireland. I'm simply pointing out that Tony McCoy's starure as the Greatest jumps jockey of all time is a more significant achievement, because it is.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=35719.msg941453#msg941453 date=1252638550]

[/quote]

Jesus Christ.

[/quote]

Oh for f#$! sake...

[/quote]

There are only two people I really get into arguments with on here; you and Dreamy. Make of that what you will.

You get very worked up, very easily Whaddapie. There are an inordinate amount of threads to back that up too, but hey ho - carrying the debate on further here is pretty pointless, so let's quit while we're behind.

I'm not devaluing Roche. He was a wonderful TDF champion, and did massive things for the sport of Cycling in Ireland. I'm simply pointing out that Tony McCoy's starure as the Greatest jumps jockey of all time is a more significant achievement, because it is.
[/quote]

Likewise, there are only one or two people that wind me up regularly, due to a stuborn, can't ever be wrong, know more than everybody else about some (or all) topics discussed attitude, every time.

And I think you'll find that it would be more accurate to say that DB and I are amoung the only people left who still engage you when you go off on one of your if-I-say-it-it-must-be-true kicks... The rest just let you wind off on your merry way.

I guess I just don't like bullies and those who seem to pride themselevs on talking down to most everybody they encounter. But never mind... You're right. It's me. And DB. We're the eejits. I mean it's not like you've ever had words with anybody else on this site apart from the two of us, right?

My bad.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=35719.msg941463#msg941463 date=1252641790]

[/quote]

Jesus Christ.

[/quote]

Oh for f#$! sake...

[/quote]

[/quote]

Likewise, there are only one or two people that wind me up regularly, due to a stuborn, can't ever be wrong, know more than everybody else about some (or all) topics discussed attitude, every time.

And I think you'll find that it would be more accurate to say that DB and I are amoung the only people left who still engage you when you go off on one of your if-I-say-it-it-must-be-true kicks... The rest just let you wind off on your merry way.

I guess I just don't like bullies and those who seem to pride themselevs on talking down to most everybody they encounter. But never mind... You're right. It's me. And DB. We're the eejits. I mean it's not like you've ever had words with anybody else on this site apart from the two of us, right?

My bad.
[/quote]

It doesn't help your "Why do you always think you're right?" diatribe when it comes after a debate that I was right in.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=35719.msg941398#msg941398 date=1252625258]
[/quote]

Probably because - in Best, McCoy, McGuigan, McBride, Peters, and others - they'd all completely overshadow anything out of the South.
[/quote]

I'm surprised they included Alex Higgins if what you are saying is true, I can't think of any Southern player that comes close to him.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=35719.msg941466#msg941466 date=1252642393]

[/quote]

Jesus Christ.

[/quote]

Oh for f#$! sake...

[/quote]

[/quote]

My bad.
[/quote]

It doesn't help your "Why do you always think you're right?" diatribe when it comes after a debate that I was right in.
[/quote]

But you're ALWAYS right, Ryan.

Well done telling us that George Best is the greatest footballer Ireland's ever produced. Really went out of a limb there, mate.

I give up. You are utterly ridiculous.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=35719.msg941473#msg941473 date=1252643867]

[/quote]

Jesus Christ.

[/quote]

Oh for f#$! sake...

[/quote]

[/quote]

My bad.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well done telling us that George Best is the greatest footballer Ireland's ever produced. Really went out of a limb there, mate.

[/quote]

I didn't though. It was you who said it.

You stupid fucker.

[quote author=refugee link=topic=35719.msg941468#msg941468 date=1252642806]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm surprised they included Alex Higgins if what you are saying is true, I can't think of any Southern player that comes close to him.
[/quote]

Pffft, as if. I'm sure Ken Doherty's a much better option.

[quote author=refugee link=topic=35719.msg941468#msg941468 date=1252642806]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And don't forget Dennis Taylor either!!

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=35719.msg941474#msg941474 date=1252643949]

[/quote]

Jesus Christ.

[/quote]

Oh for f#$! sake...

[/quote]

[/quote]

My bad.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You stupid fucker.
[/quote]

Er... "Best>Keane"? "Best, etc... overshadow the rest..."?

Well in.

You're like the Terminator of pointless self importance.

Good night now.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=35719.msg941483#msg941483 date=1252644765]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=35719.msg941474#msg941474 date=1252643949]

[/quote]

Jesus Christ.

[/quote]

Oh for f#$! sake...

[/quote]

[/quote]

My bad.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You stupid fucker.
[/quote]

Er... "Best>Keane"? "Best, etc... overshadow the rest..."?

Well in.

[/quote]

That, like the rest of your foaming diatribe makes fuck all sense. It doesn't even make sense to you. You started the whole fucking argument.

I really wish you would "give up" like you alluded to doing a few posts back, cos it'd stop you blathering on like a fuckwit.

Oh, and this...

"You're like the Terminator of pointless self importance"

... Makes fuck all sense. We can add 'shit at giving grief' to the long list of things you're rubbish at.

It's probably fairer to compare Pat Jennings to Roy Keane, maybe... Keane wins. As do practically ALL of our legendary footballers down the years. Irwin. Brady. Whelan. McGrath.

Willie John? Fair shout. But Ciaran Fitzgerald was an inspirational leader and ambassador too.

McGuigan or Collins. Very close call, in my opinion. Both beat the previously unbeatable, stuck around for a while, then faded later in their careers.

Stephen Roche won the f#$!ing Tour d' France. And the World Championship in the same year. Padraig Harrington RETAINED the Open. The North has never produced a footballer the likes of Jack O'Shea or a hurler like Christy Ring. Or either like Jimmy Barry Murphy.

Both sides of the border have their fair share of legends. But to say you "overshadow" us is utter gash.

[/quote]

Sorry Whad, but Willie John was head and shoulders a more inspirational leader than Fitzgerald, as well as being a better player. Playing in 6 Lions tours and his part in two successive Lions tour victories (the pinnacle of the game for Northern hemisphere Rugby) including Captaining the invincibles in SA and the only ever series victory in NZ. Seriously mate, there's very few would see it as a competition.

[/quote]

[/quote

McGuigan was Born in Clones Co Monaghon making him a Southerner although he did fight out of Belfast.

While McCoy has more winners than anyone else over jumps I'm not sure he's the best jump jockey about.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't have Ruby Walsh ahead of him.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35719.msg941544#msg941544 date=1252658650]
While McCoy has more winners than anyone else over jumps I'm not sure he's the best jump jockey about.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't have Ruby Walsh ahead of him.
[/quote]

That's because Ryan knows fuck all about horse racing Ross.

Ryan and Whaddapie's exchanges are fun to watch, aren't they?

16aa0co.jpg

Oh and while we're at it George Best is one of the most over-hyped footballers of all time.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35719.msg941556#msg941556 date=1252660119]
Oh and while we're at it George Best is one of the most over-hyped footballers of all time.

[/quote]

BOOM!

I agree. Retired at top flight when he was 27? Sucker.

[/quote]

I see you've kept out of the Mc Bride v Fitzgerald debate (because it doesn't suit your bias).

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=35719.msg941564#msg941564 date=1252660677]

[/quote]

I see you've kept out of the Mc Bride v Fitzgerald debate (because it doesn't suit your bias).
[/quote]

Is there even a debate there?

Back
Top Bottom