• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Lions 2013

He having a decent game too.

George North just made a brilliant break - he put Warburton in for a run in and ha he put the ball in his left hand an used his right to hand off he would have scored. But he didnt and didn't score.

And that Morahan try was excellent, I loved the way Warburton gave him a congratulatory pat on the back as he went past him.

Whoever came up with the signalling for the lineout for this game needs shooting.

Watch Youngs when he's throwing - a little pump fake is the signal for the jumper to go. It's so easy to read it that we'll get murdered even by the Aussie lineout if we keep it up.

Lazy defending from us.

19-12 with 15 mins to go. With a few notable exceptions in North, Faletau, Gray, most of this team should be shot

Bowe's broken a bone in his hand and is out of the tour. :mad:

Tuilagi got a stinger, though his injury's not serious.

Shite.

George North has 11 wrapped up anyway. I'd be worried if Cuthbert was to start though. Dean Ryan was excellent at halftime showing up his lack of awareness in defence.

Halfpenny has to play, but maybe it's better for the team for him to go to 14 and Kearney to play 15 - if his form is good.

Hogg played himself out of contention today

Gatland apparently suggested they might not call in a replacement for Bowe but might look within the squad instead, so he may have something of that sort in mind.

Who wingers are there to bring in?

I wouldn't go near Ashton, I can't really think of any obvious choices. Gilroy, Visser,Wade?

The cupboard is pretty bare, it's true. Mike Brown was the only name which occurred to me, normally a full-back by trade but has done well on the wing for England, would fit Gatland's template of picking hefty bruisers and would be useful full-back cover if Halfpenny's needed at 14. I think Gilroy's a talented footballer, but is he tough enough?

Actually I forgot Kearney is probably out as well.

Halfpenny at 15 then. North at 11.

I don't know if any of the wingers not there are up to this level.

The cupboard is pretty bare, it's true. Mike Brown was the only name which occurred to me, normally a full-back by trade but has done well on the wing for England, would fit Gatland's template of picking hefty bruisers and would be useful full-back cover if Halfpenny's needed at 14. I think Gilroy's a talented footballer, but is he tough enough?

Gilroy isn't ready for this, and as you say, hasn't got the physicality Gatland is evidently looking for. I'd pick Trimble before him, but I think Rosco's names are more likely. Actually, I could see 'orrible Ashton getting the call.

He's had one of the best seasons I can remember with Ulster. His timing for interceptions has been a particular highlight. Unfortunately, he hasn't figured much internationally so will, understandably, be overlooked.

The plot thickens. It seems Bowe will have surgery which may allow him to recover in time for the Test matches after all. However, Zebo's been called up and there's some speculation it may be to replace Kearney instead.

Poor decision by Deans, Cooper is clearly their best #10. Means they aim to play it cagey and tedious. Not a happy lot over here.

Michael Lynagh was saying on the radio here yesterday that Deans reckons Cooper's a destructive influence in and around the squad and that this is the main reason why he's not being included. (Interestingly Lynagh made it clear that he personally would have picked Cooper.)

Kurtley Beale has just been included and he twatted someone in a nightclub 4 weeks ago, then twatted his team mate after an away loss in NZ/SA, then took an indefinite break from Rugby to deal with his alcoholism before returning in a comeback game last week.
Cooper has been a disruptive influence in the past but not to that extent.
The reason he is not in is because he and Deans had a public spat, Cooper slagged him off and most Rugby fans in Oz sided with Cooper. Which is why they're now pissed off that O'Connor (not really a 10) or Barnes (a booter whose own Waratahs' fans demonstrated against his and their tedious play and tactics) are now the shoo-in selections.

Lions S Maitland (Scotland); A Cuthbert (Wales), B O'Driscoll (Ireland, capt), J Roberts (Wales), G North (Wales); S Hogg (Scotland), C Murray (Ireland); A Corbisiero (England), R Hibbard (Wales), D Cole (England), R Gray (Scotland), I Evans (Wales), S O'Brien (Ireland), J Tipuric (Wales), J Heaslip (Ireland).

Replacements R Best (Ireland), R Grant (Scotland), M Stevens (England), AW Jones (Wales), T Faletau (Wales), M Phillips (Wales), J Davies (Wales), L Halfpenny (Wales).

The team for this mornings game - it looks like so far Gatland has mixed the squad well. There's a mix of no hopers, certs and possibilities in each team

64-0, poor game overall.

Hibbard has probably put Best in pole position for the 2 jersey after that performance.

Back
Top Bottom