• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

The Lions

Lions:
Rob Kearney
Tommy Bowe
Keith Earls
Riki Flutey
Ugo Monye
Stephen Jones
Harry Ellis
Andrew Sheridan
Matthew Rees
Phil Vickery
Donncha O'Callaghan
Nathan Hines
Joe Worsley
Martyn Williams
ANDY POWELL

Replacements: Ross Ford (Edinburgh/Scotland), Euan Murray (Northampton/Scotland), Simon Shaw (Wasps/England), Tom Croft (Leicester/England), Mike Blair (Edinburgh/Scotland), James Hook (Ospreys/Wales), Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster/Ireland).

Wednesday - Ryan Jones called up.

Friday - Ryan Jones sent home.

Shoudln't they have had him checked before he left ?

Nobody is getting called up to replace him.

I thought it was strange considering that he was all but out cold in the first few secs of the game, and then suffered another blow to the head a few mins later. Isn't there a mandatory period that you sit out after getting knocked out?

It's difficult to disagree with any of this

Forget inclusiveness and make Lions Irish

It seems senseless to handicap the squad with players from Scotland, Wales and England

Although my colleague, the terrifying rugby union coach Shaun Edwards, described the Lions as a "scratch" side in his always-informative column yesterday, I'm not sure it was a deliberate pun. He was pointing out that the squad he's barking instructions at in South Africa comprises rugby-playing talent from four countries thrown together at short notice in the hope of mauling the world champions in their own backyard. It's a tall order by any stretch of the imagination.

While I can't speak for all of my compatriots, I know I am not alone among Irishmen in thinking that, as playing the best team on the planet already puts the Lions on the back foot, it seems senseless to further handicap them with a quota system that dictates players from weaker European rugby nations such as Scotland, Wales and England must fill berths on their team.

Picking representatives from all four home nations might have been acceptable when the main reason for sending Lions teams on tour was to publicly snub the French, but now Italy have been thrown into the Six Nations mixer, our friends in the Southern Hemisphere could be forgiven for assuming the Lions selection policy is decided by a monkey throwing darts at a map. After all, we'll be playing the Springboks, not a random Africa XV including token Meerkats, Wildebeest and assorted other cannon-fodder from those splatterfest documentaries you see on the National Geographic channel.

With this in mind, it has become apparent to my compatriots and me that Europe might be better represented by a British and Irish Lions squad made up exclusively of players from the grand slam-winning rugby powerhouse that is the Emerald Isle. We could call them the Irish Lions to avoid confusion, a mouthful travelling supporters would be more than welcome to abbreviate to the nickname "Ireland".

Traditionalists may balk at such an innovative notion but only because they remain rooted in an era when Lions tours were three-month-long amateur orgies of drunken violence during which the only respite came from Willie John McBride putting out the famous "99" call that prompted his team to rush to the sideline for refreshing ice?cream cones with chocolate flakes. So before firing off that angry email, ask yourself whether you want future Lions selectors to field the rugby-playing equivalent of the asthmatic kids who were forced to do PE wearing their vests and Y-fronts and lose heavily, or leave the less accomplished dead wood at home and win.

For the love of all that's good and holy, look what we're up against. According to Wikipedia, Pierre Johan Spies can run 100m in 10.07 seconds and "power clean" 135kg, possibly at the same time. He dead lifts 240kg and bench presses 165kg, can do pull-ups holding a 50kg weight between his legs and launch his 108kg body 1.4m on to a raised platform. He sprints for 835m before slowing on a repeated sprint-ability test and has a body-fat percentage of 6.5%. He is a beast of a man, the subject of unconfirmed reports that he snacks between meals on live Labrador puppies. It's rumoured that when Chuck Norris doesn't know what to do, he turns to the Springbok back?rower for advice.

Then there's Brian Habana, a man who can run so fast that he once famously raced against a cheetah. Admittedly, his legacy as a speed merchant was tainted by the inevitable defeat but the fact of the matter is that, unlike any of his northern hemisphere peers, the South Africa winger was at least considered fast enough to make such a contest worth staging.

Adam Jones, to pick one of our boys at random, may look like an actual lion with his trademark mane but he closely resembles a woman I once woke up beside the morning after an ill-advised drunken trip to a Cardiff nightclub. Is it fair to throw a flower so delicate, effete and ladylike in to a simmering rugby cauldron containing Schalk Burger?

Far be it from me to say "I told you so" but four years ago I wrote a column warning against the folly of top-loading a Lions team with English geriatrics and was derided as a clueless idiot on that Sky Sports show where Fleet Street's finest convene around a table in a pretend kitchen, discuss the sporting issues of the day and tell each other how great they are. I was subsequently vindicated and still wait in vain for their apologies. They refused to listen then I suspect they won't listen now. The fools.

+

Bowe (He just gets better and better)
Powell (He could take on the entire SA back row on his own)
Vickery
Monye
Hines (Maybe he'll partner O'Connell after all)
Williams
O'Callaghan
Hook
Murray

-

S Jones

The rest did OK.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=32866.msg887376#msg887376 date=1244895096]
Boy, that must have been some collision up front.
[/quote]

The French just took it to them upfront and then defended with a lot of heart and discipline.

Not a great game to watch mate, but good to see a northern hemisphere team get a win.

Powell as a plus Rafa ?

The coaches would have looked at that performance noticed how he turned over possession when going to ground ten metres out and that stupid illegal tackle on their 22 and realised he's a liability. He won't be in the team. He made two decent breaks during the whole game, otherwise he was stopped easily by opposition outhalfs and centres, and how I hate back rowers that don't keep up with the game. I actually enjoyed seeing him get nutmegged when he dropped back to the wing that time.

Test 22:

1. Jenkins
2. Mears
3. Vickery
4. AW Jones
5. O'Connell
8. Heaslip
9. Phillips
10. O'Gara
12. Roberts
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Byrne

I think those positions are certainties, the back row has two realistic options. Heaslip will start at 8, but depending on whether they place the emphasis on line out options or the breakdown will determine who plays. Lineout - Croft at 6 , Wallace at 7 . Breakdown - Wallace at 6, Williams at 7

I still think Fitzgerald and Monye have equal chances of featuring, but if they decide that they to play a territorial game they may opt to move Kearney there and take advantage of his kicking game.

The bench obviously changes depending on what option they take.

I think Jones will be the reserve prop, Rees the sub hooker. If Croft plays then I'd expect to see either Wallace or Williams on the bench (whichever doesn't make the team) along with one of the second rows. If Croft doesn't play I think they may use him as cover for the second row as well as back row and that is the only way I see Powell getting onto the bench, instead of an out and out second row.

In the backs - Ellis will be reserve scrum half. If Kearney plays at 11, then Fitzgerald and Hook will be the subs because they cover every position in the backline between them. If Monye / Fitzgerald starts I'd expect Hook and Kearney to be on the bench.

O'Gara a certaintity? People are suggesting he'll not even make the bench (and i tend to agree)!

Powell was very decent today Rosco. That tackle was fair too, Powell is just too strong for these soft SA's. It seems as soon as he makes even slightest contact with them, there little bodies go flailing backwards into the ground. Did you not like the 1st tackle he made either? Or what about the busting run that set up that excellent try? He went over the gain line consistently today.

I hadn't thought about the option of Kearney on the wing, it could work quite well with his kicking game being very useful.

I know it's all about the Lions, but who do you think will have the most test starters out of Wales and Ireland next Saturday?

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=32866.msg887469#msg887469 date=1244909010]
O'Gara a certaintity? People are suggesting he'll not even make the bench (and i tend to agree)!

Powell was very decent today Rosco. That tackle was fair too, Powell is just too strong for these soft SA's. It seems as soon as he makes even slightest contact with them, there little bodies go flailing backwards into the ground. Did you not like the 1st tackle he made either? Or what about the busting run that set up that excellent try? He went over the gain line consistently today.

I hadn't thought about the option of Kearney on the wing, it could work quite well with his kicking game being very useful.

[/quote]

You have to be winding me up Re: Powell. Great physical attributes in fairness. If he ever figured out how to use them he could be a good rugby player. As he is now though he's best suited to Rugby League. He's a stupid cunt who knows how to run forward with ball in hand, that's pretty much all he's ever shown. It's worth noting that Wales have gone from top of the table to a fourth place finish in the six nations since Powell arrived in the team and he's the only significant change to the side.

Teams simply can't get by with only two thirds of their back row taking part in the game. Powell likes to hang back far too much in an effort to show stupid people how good he is at running back counter attack ball in order to show them he's a good player.

I would never ever pick a player like him, and having played alongside someone like him I'd hate to do so again. In a test side he'd be of absolutely no value.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32866.msg887628#msg887628 date=1244940456]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=32866.msg887469#msg887469 date=1244909010]

[/quote]

You have to be winding me up Re: Powell. Great physical attributes in fairness. If he ever figured out how to use them he could be a good rugby player. As he is now though he's best suited to Rugby League. He's a stupid cunt who knows how to run forward with ball in hand, that's pretty much all he's ever shown. It's worth noting that Wales have gone from top of the table to a fourth place finish in the six nations since Powell arrived in the team and he's the only significant change to the side.

Teams simply can't get by with only two thirds of their back row taking part in the game. Powell likes to hang back far too much in an effort to show stupid people how good he is at running back counter attack ball in order to show them he's a good player.

I would never ever pick a player like him, and having played alongside someone like him I'd hate to do so again. In a test side he'd be of absolutely no value.

[/quote]

It seems that it's Rosco's opinion against the world on the Powell debate.

MOTM V the SA's (The best Test side in the world)
MOTM v Leicester (a few more this season as well)
Starts v The Aussies (we win)
Picked for the Lions
Tipped by many ex international players to actually start for the Lions
Rated as world class by highly rated coaches such as Gatland, IM, Edwards and Young (+many more)

Gatland said the following: "He has been producing some outstanding performances – performances that would have had people raving if they had been delivered by a foreign player, a Jerry Collins for instance. To switch our captain to the side of the scrum tells you a little of what we think about Andy."

But oh no, Rosco says that "he's of absolutely no value" at all.

I bet you don't rate Chabal either.

Powell won't start for the Lions Rafa, just wait and see. I'm not too interested in what Powell's own coaches have to say about him. Of course they'll talk him up.

Chabal is the most overrated player of all time.

As for Powell - 27 years old, 8 caps to his name, No major trophies. Can't get a game in his club side ahead of some Kiwi journeyman.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32866.msg887765#msg887765 date=1244977004]
Powell won't start for the Lions Rafa, just wait and see. I'm not too interested in what Powell's own coaches have to say about him. Of course they'll talk him up.

Chabal is the most overrated player of all time.

As for Powell - 27 years old, 8 caps to his name, No major trophies.
[/quote]

Its not about wether he starts or not Rosco ( i don't think he will either), just by making the squad has made your "he'd have no value to a test team at all" comment look rather stupid indeed.

Out of the entire Lions squad, can you name me one other player that offers nothing to there respected national teams? I thought not.

BOD is your greatest ever player, yet how many GS does he have?

You yourself said that Gatland was one of the best coaches in world rugby, yet now you just disregard his comments? He's clearly not picking Powell as a favour to him, it's because he rates him highly.

The reason that he has only 8 caps at the age of 27 is due to the fact that he has battled against injuries (1 op on each shoulder).

Chabal is a legend.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=32866.msg887802#msg887802 date=1244979001]
I think after a month of this debate, I've finally won.
[/quote]

I think you've just shown that you don't know much about rugby Rafa.

It's interesting that the two players you rate really highly are largely identical. Both rely on power to make an impression there's no craft or skill to what they do. Both have been massively inconsistent throughout their careers however you judge them both on highlight moment rather than what they actually bring to the table.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32866.msg887810#msg887810 date=1244979823]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=32866.msg887802#msg887802 date=1244979001]
I think after a month of this debate, I've finally won.
[/quote]

I think you've just shown that you don't know much about rugby Rafa.

It's interesting that the two players you rate really highly are largely identical. Both rely on power to make an impression there's no craft or skill to what they do. Both have been massively inconsistent throughout their careers however you judge them both on highlight moment rather than what they actually bring to the table.

[/quote]

No i rate many players highly Rosco, they just happen to be 2 of them

Before you start saying that i know nothing about rugby, let me just remind you of a few things first.

These are just a few things that have been mentioned in the two rugby threads on here:

I was singing Bowes praises (On form he was the best wing in Wales i think i said) when you still clearly didn't rate him .
I called Halfpenny to get the Lions call after he'd played only 1 game for Cardiff
You never rated Byrne and were saying that Armitage was your choice for the Lions FB spot. One of them now looks nailed on at FB, the other never even made the tour.
I called that Powell would take the Welsh 8 spot from Ryan Jones, whilst you were in disagreement.
You think O'Gara is nailed on for the FH spot (that will be proven wrong very soon).
You said that Powell offers absolutely nothing, yet you also stated that you'd take him on the Lions tour?

Now i don't claim to be Mr Rugby expert, but i know as much as you when it comes to this sport Rosco. Just because we don't agree on this issue there is no need to resort to "you know nothing" comments.

Not many of those things are true Rafa.

All I'm saying is if you think Chabal and Powell are two of the best about, you're not that well versed in what makes a good back row forward.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32866.msg887865#msg887865 date=1244984414]
Not many of those things are true Rafa.

All I'm saying is if you think Chabal and Powell are two of the best about, you're not that well versed in what makes a good back row forward.
[/quote]

Well if that were true Rosco, then you might as well say that the former NZ forward that is Gatland doesn't either.

In the worst case scenario he is ranked as the 2nd best 8 that the Birtish and Irish Lions have to offer.

You cant underestimate the impact that a player like Powell can bring to a well balanced back row. The modern day 8 is very much geared towards being big, athletic, ball carrying and huge hitting guys.

Just look at Collins, Chabal, Spies and Palu for examples of this. The very same criticisms that you make about Powell have been levelled at them, yet they all continually get picked for the leading international rugby nations.

You watch Spies on Saturday, i guarantee he'll carry the ball the most out of the SA back row forwards, but he'll hit the fewest rucks.

A back row can't be balanced with a guy like Powell in it. The flankers are left with far too much to do because he lazes behind the play for too long. I haven't watched much of Spies so can't comment on him.

But Collins is a much better all rounder than Chabal or Powell, neither of which would get anywhere near an All Black back row.

Ball carrying is only one aspect of a number 8's game, it should be a strong aspect of his game but it can't be the only good aspect in his game.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32866.msg887884#msg887884 date=1244986460]
A back row can't be balanced with a guy like Powell in it. The flankers are left with far too much to do because he lazes behind the play for too long. I haven't watched much of Spies so can't comment on him.

But Collins is a much better all rounder than Chabal or Powell, neither of which would get anywhere near an All Black back row.

Ball carrying is only one aspect of a number 8's game, it should be a strong aspect of his game but it can't be the only good aspect in his game.
[/quote]

I'd agree that Collins is better, but theres no shame in that, due to the fact that he was the best 8 in world Rugby by a mile whilst he was playing.

Ball carrying is not Powells only aspect to his game either, unless you fail to admit that he puts in some hefty tackles and does hit rucks and mauls (granted not as much as some).

The point still stands though, the modern day 8 is very much in the model of players like Powell.

XXII for tomorrow:

15. Keith Earls (Munster/Ireland)
14. Shane Williams (Ospreys/Wales)
13. Riki Flutey (London Wasps/England)
12. Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster/Ireland)
11. Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster/Ireland)
10. James Hook (Ospreys/Wales)
9. Mike Blair (Edinburgh/Scotland)

8. Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
7. Joe Worsley (London Wasps/England)
6. Nathan Hines (Perpignan/Scotland)
5. Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster/Ireland) captain
4. Simon Shaw (London Wasps/England)
3. Euan Murray (Northampton/Scotland)
2. Ross Ford (Edinburgh/Scotland)
1. Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks/England)

Replacements

16. Matthew Rees (Scarlets/Wales)
17. Adam Jones (Ospreys/Wales)
18. Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers/England)
19. David Wallace (Munster/Ireland)
20. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers/England)
21. Ronan O'Gara (Munster/Ireland)
22. Ugo Monye (Harlequins/England)

Back
Top Bottom