• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am convinced our press and the system makes our game. It doesn't matter who is playing for us, as long as they are willing to work hard and stick to the game plan, we are like a well-oiled machine.

The rest, after winning the ball back, is up to individual brilliance and the willingness of our players to be adventurous and add to the attack. When we are able to load lots of bodies in attacking positions, we will inevitably threaten or score.

We then have a maestro on the touchline tweaking the system, giving advice, making the subs, and giving the players the confidence to go out and play/perform.

So far it looks like a winning formula.

I'm normally quite miserly in my praise and it may all still go horribly wrong (probably will) but for now, I'm pretty impressed by our squad.

At the start of Jan, like many others, I was really hoping we'd use the transfer market to ensure that mistakes of the past were not repeated and our season was not derailed by injuries and absences.

Fair play to Klopp and the squad though, they've not missed a beat.

Jota has really stepped it up and looks to be relishing being more of the main man in Salah's absence.

Gomez has continued to ensure we don't miss Robertson or Tsimikas (or even think about them if we're honest).

Bradley has come in and impressed.

Quansah quietly gaining more experience.

And now Szobo is back, TAA and Robertson are being eased back in... not much longer before Endo and Salah are back.

NICE!
.... and Thiago (his 'alive' name)

We’re all gonna be calling for another CB and back up RW in summer, perhaps a DM too….won’t sign any then some other kid from the academy will step in and perform like Quansah has this season, Morton will turn into prime Kimmich and Doak will step up and score/assist about 10 goals by Christmas and we’ll all be made to look like twats again.
Bajcetic

Is it a bunch of players all punching above their weight though?

I think that definitely plays a part. Klopp, at his best, is great at getting the most out of players. Also, it's much easier for guys to come in and perform in a team that is confident and playing well.

There will be dips but props for a great January.

Why must you leave Klopp? Why ??? Just fucking stay.
I feel bad for our u21s ( Quansah, Bajcetic, Bradders, Harvey and McConnell ).
The really hope the new manager is the kind that promotes youths, unlike someone like Mourinho.

Remind me, did Houllier promote youths?
Possibly Gerrard, not sure if Evans was around, but I seem to remember that he pretty much dismantled our youth set up and Benitez had to rebuild it.

Houllier gave Stevie his debut, also persisted with a young Carra.

Wasn't Vignal fairly young when he started out? Maybe Djimi too.

Houllier gave Stevie his debut, also persisted with a young Carra.

Wasn't Vignal fairly young when he started out? Maybe Djimi too.
I feel like Houllier bought a bunch of young players LeTallec, Sinama etc. They didn't come through the academy.

I feel bad for our u21s ( Quansah, Bajcetic, Bradders, Harvey and McConnell ).
The really hope the new manager is the kind that promotes youths, unlike someone like Mourinho.

Remind me, did Houllier promote youths?
Possibly Gerrard, not sure if Evans was around, but I seem to remember that he pretty much dismantled our youth set up and Benitez had to rebuild it.

Houllier definitely gave the young players chances, although I think Gerrard was the only really good one who came through around then. But he played the likes of Carra, Murphy, and Matteo whenever he could.

I'm not sure what happened to the set-up while he was there but the period from 2000 to like 2010 was the worst I've ever known. I think the only half-decent player to come through was Warnock. Maybe it was a run of bad luck, but it's impossible to imagine the current academy putting up with it - they'd just bring the talent in from elsewhere. Which is actually the main source of our best prospects, tbf.

I feel like Houllier bought a bunch of young players LeTallec, Sinama etc. They didn't come through the academy.
Warnock? Mellor?

He tried with what he had, but talent wise it wasn't what it was back then.

Houllier definitely gave the young players chances, although I think Gerrard was the only really good one who came through around then. But he played the likes of Carra, Murphy, and Matteo whenever he could.

I'm not sure what happened to the set-up while he was there but the period from 2000 to like 2010 was the worst I've ever known. I think the only half-decent player to come through was Warnock. Maybe it was a run of bad luck, but it's impossible to imagine the current academy putting up with it - they'd just bring the talent in from elsewhere. Which is actually the main source of our best prospects, tbf.
Also David Thompson, who, at the time, I preferred over Gerrard ... which is the best evidence of my lack of football intelligence you will ever find

Also David Thompson, who, at the time, I preferred over Gerrard ... which is the best evidence of my lack of football intelligence you will ever find

God forgot about him. I didn't like the way he ran. Which is about my level of insight.

Somewhere in all this shouldn't Inglethorpe get a quiet mention?
Robbie Fowler did it last night on TV post match
12 yrs at the club and 10 yrs in his current role. With the various exits over the years, it's good to see him still with us. He seems to have an eye for managerial prospects too - Beale, Critchley, O'Neil.

Reactions: dee
Our potential match day squad in two weeks:

Alisson
Trent
Konate
Van Dijk
Gomez/Robbo
Macca
Szobo
Jones/Thiago
Diaz/Nunez
Jota
Salah

Potential subs:
Kelleher
Tsimikas
Bradders
Quansah
Endo
Gravy
Elliott
Gakpo
-----
McConnell
Clark

Only Matip and Bajcetic out.
Imagine how strong our bench would be?!

12 yrs at the club and 10 yrs in his current role. With the various exits over the years, it's good to see him still with us. He seems to have an eye for managerial prospects too - Beale, Critchley, O'Neil.
The post above made me think along the lines of Alex being a candidate for the DOF position. Knows the club as well as anyone left, understands the style of play as the academy is now replicating the 1st team, has an eye for coaches / managers as you mentioned above. On the flipside does he have the necessary contacts in the industry & the deal making ability which is a big part of the DOF role.

Agreed totally. I don't even think Gomez should be budged this season, he doesn't deserve to be. Robbo had been below par for quite a while anyway and Tsimikas is good, but takes a while to get up to speed. I'd be loathed to disrupt that backline at the minute.

lfc-squad-minutes-played-as-of-feb-06-2024-v0-mulg15mp9zgc1.jpg

So happy Klopp strengthened the midfield last summer.
We're missing 4 midfielders and can still line up with Endo, Macca, Gravenberch or Elliott.
Which is a pretty decent midfield.
We're obviously scraping the bottom of the barrel for midfield options at the moment with McConnell or Clark in contention for sub roles against Luton on Wednesday. So I really hope Szobo makes a miraculous recovery.

Last edited:
How is it possible?

Gee I don't know, if only there were a club out there with a bottomless pit of wealth to their name. Hmmmmmmmm.
My surprise was partly at the amount, but more so how the can get around the FFP rules doing so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom